Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best movies in the World, ever

Options
  • 17-10-2002 9:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭

me thinks this place could do with a good poll. Movies i think are in order now

List of movies, pick the best one 42 votes

Blade 2
    0% 0 votes
    Lord of The Rings
    0% 0 votes
    The One
    33% 14 votes
    American Psycho
    2% 1 vote
    Any of the Star Wars movies
    4% 2 votes
    Snatch
    14% 6 votes
    Silence Of the Lambs, or Red Dragon
    7% 3 votes
    Pulp Fiction
    7% 3 votes
    Unbreakable
    28% 12 votes
    Spider Man
    2% 1 vote

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭qwidgybo

is spiderman the new atari jaguar??cos otherwise i don't see why it's in the "best movies" thread...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 406 ✭✭shep the malevolent pixie

and where's the godfather movies? star wars is *NOT* the best movie in the world, in fact it's pretty crappy really, they all are, but they became a big cult thing and are now revered etc. i mean, don't get me wrong, i enjoy them very much, they're incredibly entertaining, but they are in no way the best movies ever. i'm sorry, i'm cranky today. tired and sick, arg and so on. grr.
    sHep :cool:

incidentally, i'm voting for lord of the rings as 'tis the most worthy of the title of best movie ever of the ones you've written. (dear god i'm cranky tonight, i apologise sincerely)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭Happy CTYI guy

I didn't put in the Godfather movies because they bored me, and i included Star Wars because I'm one of the cultists, and i put in spiderman because it bloody well entertained me

fair enough. as i said, i'm cranky tonight. :D

'snot that they're bad movies as such anyway, it's that they're not the *BEST*. i dunno, i'm tired and bored.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

So theses are really the best movies in the world ever, rather they're a few movies that amused you? funny how these threads such as "most influential song ever" and this all seem to fall apart soooo well.

• Advertisement

yeah, because i dont think there can be a definitive list of the best movies in the world so i plumped for the list of my favourite movies

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭claire h

None of them...

i'll fall YOU apart......
    in his defence, it would be difficult to come up with a definitive list of the best movies ever. my god almighty with a chainsaw, my brain hurts. wow....
    sHepph :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Mystic Fibrosis

Originally posted by evil scary claire
    None of them...

I agree. (But i'm voting on Spiderman purely on the novel way osbourne dies. Oh, that was hard to watch.)

Why am I evil and scary all of a sudden? :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭Miss-Misery

Hmm, i don't even particularly like any of those films. I don't think these polls can be broad enough,but i am appaled at the lack of kevin smith films in there

Originally posted by good-natured non-intimidating Claire
    Why am I evil and scary all of a sudden? :p

Evil in a good way, honeybunch.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭oq4v3ht0u76kf2

I voted Snatch because it entertained me the most. Simple really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 458 ✭✭ll=llannah

its just a poll really. not pondering the meaning of the world or anything. just click on one or don't. not a big deal people. :)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Don't make me laugh, these are all new movies!!!

Also you forgot such classics as Shawshank Redemption and Aliens

what a list, blaaa

:rolleyes:

1. I've never seen Shawshank Redemption
    2. When i saw aliens, the reception on my TV was really bad and whenever i saw any of the sequels i was appalled by the lack of fright
    3. I dont even know who Kevin Smith is
    4. If this was the list of best movies in the world it'd be a broader list, and i can only remember movies i've seen recently

• Closed Accounts Posts: 250 ✭✭Plasticman

the best director EVER was, imho, stanley kubrick. the wierdness, the depth, the Ultra-Violence:D, the carnage, the hilarious quotes ("gentlemen, stop fighting!! this is a war room!!"), hinted, nay, blatantly envisioned pedofilia, nudity, and bright lights and pretty colours to cater for those stoned. his movies have EVERYTHING. pity he's dead.

Originally posted by Happy CTYI guy

This is very upsetting. Very upsetting indeed. Silent Bob!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Originally posted by Happy CTYI guy
    1. I've never seen Shawshank Redemption
    2. When i saw aliens, the reception on my TV was really bad and whenever i saw any of the sequels i was appalled by the lack of fright
    4. If this was the list of best movies in the world it'd be a broader list, and i can only remember movies i've seen recently

You've must soooo many good films,.

Shawshank is a excellent film

Aliens is a sequal itself, Alien was the first film

as for Kevin Smith, uhh
    Have you even seen a decent film at all?
    sigh...

:rolleyes:

Do you mean to imply Dogma is NOT good? I smite thee. (and s. redemption rocks.)

has anyone read the bluntman & chronic comics? Muchos......good....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭lordsippa

PULP FICTION ROCKS DAMMIT!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

From that list Pulp Fiction.
    But come on, how can you call the thread "Best movies in the World, ever" and then stick in Unbreakable/Blade II/American Psycho...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭TheAlmightyArse

Chasing Amy's on the Beeb this Satruday! Huuuuuuuuuz-zah!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭nosmo

Blade 2?
    Unbreakable?
    Spi...Spid...SPIDERMAN???

KEVIN SMITH!!!!!! JAY AND SILENT BOB!! DOGMAAAAAA!! i love that movie. why do i keep typing movei? stoopid meee.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭purplepolkadot

someone take 'the one' and 'spiderman' and 'unbreakable' and 'star wars' and 'blade 2' off that goddamn poll. i mean, 'unbreakable', really.
    and then put on
    'l.a. condfidential',
    'dogma',
    maybe 'the untouchables',
    'clockwork orange',
    shawshank,
    possibly 'high fidelity'
    and 'stand by me' on it.
    ooh and 'pushing tin'.
    and old films? like 'breakfast at tiffanys' and 'the great escape' and 'north by northwest' and 'the thomas crown affair'.
    'aliens' blows 'alien' was far better.
    plus i love 'the goonies' and 'some like it hot'.
    'pulp fiction' is the most entertaining of that few; the comedic value and fantastically wonderasmic script just plain rule. all forever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭TheAlmightyArse

Dogma? Too much solliliquising about stuff I'd already given far too much thought, coming to conclusions I'd already come to. *sigh* And what the hell was up with Chris Rock? Black disciples, fine, American disciples, no. And Serindipity? More annoying than that Donkey thing in Shrek. [/pretentious arse]

Still, the **** demon was nice.

Oh, and Mallrats is far superior, purely because of its immense re-watchability, dontchernoo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭oq4v3ht0u76kf2

Good films:

Office Space
    Wayne's World
    Billy Madison
    Next Friday
    Porridge
    American Pie I
    Loser!
    High Fidelity
    Amerian Pie II
    Road Trip
    Freddie Got Fingered
    Waking Ned
    The Replacements
    Meet the Parents
    Bad Company
    Ocean's Eleven
    Happy Gilmore
    The Waterboy
    Big Daddy
    Little Nicky
    Grumpy Old Men
    Gone Fishin'
    The Out of Towners
    Richie Rich
    The Van
    Austin Powers in Goldmember
    Clueless
    Anti:Trust
    Hackers
    Harry Potter and the Philosophers Stone
    Say It Ain't So
    Agnes Browne
    Die Hard with a Vengance
    Under Siege II
    Don't Be A Menace to South Central While Drinkin' Your Juice in the Hood
    The Green Mile
    The Rock

Each of those movies either made me laugh, or meant something to me... many of them did both. I may have missed out a few "classic" films (The Matrix, Shawshank Redemption et al) but those films just didn't entertain me... so, there's my list of every single movie that is worth my time on this earth.

Originally posted by OrangeRhino
    Good films:

Anti:Trust

Each of those movies either made me laugh

Yeah I gota say Antitrust was some comedy.... :D

All that html code at the beginning was so cool :p

I'll give it good points for that fact that it was for Open Source, but they did really beat the whole "your a 1 or a 0, alive or dead" thing into the ground.

Got stupid after the first two times it was said in the movie, in saying that though I did buy it as a ex-rental from Extra Vision.

Music wasn't bad in it :D
    Massive Attack, etc

• Advertisement

Goodness:

Chasing Amy
    American Beauty
    Election
    Girl Interrupted
    The Virgin Suicides
    The Royal Tenenbaums
    Good Will Hunting