Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Next Irish Manager

• 18-10-2002 12:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 22

If McCarthy was to leave/be sacked, who do you think would be the best man the FAI could get for the job ?

Who should be the next Irish manager 65 votes

Dave O'Leary
    0% 0 votes
    Peter Reid
    18% 12 votes
    George Burley
    1% 1 vote
    Martin O'Neill
    1% 1 vote
    John Aldridge
    32% 21 votes
    Brian Kerr
    1% 1 vote
    Joe Kinnear
    15% 10 votes
    Brian Robson
    16% 11 votes
    Roy Keane
    0% 0 votes
    Other ...
    12% 8 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,768 ✭✭✭Xterminator

Kerr should get the job.

He has done a great job with the underage teams, and has won a major trophy with players like Keane (robbie) and Duff.

X

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

aw man, i was torn between Kinnear, Kerr and Aldridge but i went with Kinnear.

Kinnear is the man i want to take the job but is he an FAI type manager? Nah, i dont think so.
    I think maybe the FAI would sooner opt Aldridge or Kerr rather then Kinnear.

And i dont think O'Neill would leave Celtic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭Spud

O LEARY I voted for

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 alanj1

This is my preference :
    • Martin O'Neill - though I don't think he'll leave Celtic just yet
    • Dave O'Leary - I think he'd pick the right team (though the McPhail comment was worrying)
    • Joe Kinnear - Has proved himself in the premiership and is doing well at Luton
    • Roy Keane - What can I say, I think he's a legend and would always strive to win everything (no experience at management though)
    • Not sure about the order of the rest
    Trappatoni is under a lot of pressure in Italy and might get the boot soon, maybe a bit too old though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Jak

I really think O'Neill would be best. But I don't think we would get him to be honest.

I'd say most likely and not a bad bet would be Kerr though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Sposs

You have to take into account the fact the FAI Cant offer the same wages as say england (5 mill a year to Erickson(sp?)) so that straight away limits our choice in attracting really world class managers.I'd like to see Kerr given the job he's a real irishman and already has the respect of the younger lads,although im not sure what Roy and the older lads in the squad would think considering he has never managed a sucussful senior team.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭Kone

O Neill!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

Has to be Martin O Neill, nightmare scenario would be O Leary or Kinnear. However, Brian Kerr could be a candidate, although he has a cushy one at the moment and would be difficult to move.

Lookin good

BBC article

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 233 ✭✭Congoose

I was hoping for Kinnear back in 1996 and I still think he'd do a good job. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 607 ✭✭✭dougal

What about Roy Evans? Not the Eastenders one!

Really the best choice would be O'Neill then Kerr then O'Leary.

or Wenger!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

id love o'neill to be it but wouldn't bear to see him leave celtic.maybe he could do both.if he did i would hope he would never have to face the same problems as neil lennon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I'd like to see Brian Kerr get the gig, many of the best players in the squad worked under him, and he'll not get snotty with the press, even Roy Keane might respect him, as he's done well with little.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭Samba

id like to see the RTE panel coaching the team :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭Waylander

If O Neill was saying he would not leave Celtic when United were rumoured to be looking for him, he is certainly not going to for the paltry salary the FAI would pay him. I voted Dave O Leary but I am not sure that he would take it at this young an age. I think he would like more club management, and he should not let Sunderland not talking to him bother him, as they proved there heads were up their arses when they signed Wilko. I think Brian Kerr should be given a shot at it, and if the players have as low an opinion of Mick as rumoured Roy and Comay be so relieved Mick is gone they will not care who takes over.

i cant believe how many people have voted for dave o leary,the guy is shocking.he manages like a beginner in championship manager that has just taken over barcelona and has 150 million to spend.i think mcarthy is terrible,but i can guarantee oleary is on a par if not worse.any half decent manager would have walked the league with the players he had at his disposal.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

I have to agree that O'Leary will not be an improvement. In all honesty he has done very little with the sheepshaggers except spend millions on them.

O'Neill would be a good choice but will not leave for a micky mouse job.

Wenger!!! - with his record player 2 lost 2!! :D

Kinnear or Kerr- I think Kerr deserves a kick at it, he has a proven record and knows the Irish team, the setup and the young boys (is he a priest!! :eek: ),
    Kinnear, I think he just wants to get back to good money in the job!!

What was O'Learys quote on mcphail

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Wan the boy Collins :D

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

The glorified knacker collins!! Suppose he manages the mighty Carlisle!! Then again more exp than mick mcfarty

"I have to agree that O'Leary will not be an improvement. In all honesty he has done very little with the sheepshaggers except spend millions on them."

He brought Leeds to a champions league final which is more then any other English club with the exception of United in recent years so I would disagree with that. Since he has left they recouped over £30m from the sale of Rio and still have about a value of £60m attached to their squad so i disagree with the accusation that he blew loads of money while at Leeds.

"I cant believe how many people have voted for dave o leary,the guy is shocking.he manages like a beginner in championship manager that has just taken over barcelona and has 150 million to spend.i think mcarthy is terrible,but i can guarantee oleary is on a par if not worse.any half decent manager would have walked the league with the players he had at his disposal."

Any other half decent manager like George Graham or Terry Venebals ? I don't think you can justify what you are saying at all.

• Advertisement

He brought Leeds to a champions league final

They did not make the final?? Was semi I think??

Sorry yeah, I meant semi final. Still a good achievement, ask Arsene Wenger.

I was indeed, but he did nothing else. What I am trying to say is that he has not a "good" record as in won a cup or 2, a league. Admittedly a champ league semi is very good first time off but I was expecting them to be on fire the following season and they never took off. Why this did not happen would stop me from picking him

Does that make sense?

i agree,maybe george graham didnt set the world alight when at leeds but he has proved he could win things in the past elsewhere as with venables.o'learys record shows no silverware.it is probably a personal view but i just don't rate o'leary as manager or tv pundit at all.

My point is that he has done better then these two acclaimed managers with the same resources. Anyway, what has Joe Kinnear, Brian Kerr, or alot of the other candidates mentioned won or achieved. Martin O Neill is the only one who has won anything, and I would regard the Worthington Cup with Leicester a better achievement then the Scottish Triumphs.

Waylander - You reckon that Kerr has done nothing!!!! FFS !

Maybe I am wrong but has he not won the Euro Champs with the U16 and U18?? and got the semi in the World Cup U20??
    That has to count for something. At least it is 2 more trophies than O'Leary has won.
    O'Leary has bought any success he got, Kerr did not do this

I did not say he has done nothing, but i was talking about senior level, trying to compare like with like. At senior level he has won the Irish league with Pats, fair enough more then Dave O leary has done, but teh Roddy Collins did a double, quick lets give him the job!!!!!

won the Irish league with Pats

Kerr is it?? Did not know this jock, when was this?
    Anyway, what has Joe Kinnear, Brian Kerr, or alot of the other candidates mentioned won or achieved.

You asked.....:p

But i see ur point, like with like he has not won anything, then again he has not had the chance to manage a premier div team

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭red_bairn

I wonder what would happen if Roy Keane was to be picked?
    He may turn out to be a good manager, BETTER THAN MICK. :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭Pigman

I'd defo go for Peter Reid or George Burley if the FAI could afford them. All of the likely Irish options at the moment just fill me with dread when I think about any of them getting the job.

But then again I'd rather McCarthy keep his job until the end of the campaign if possible. I think his results over the past 6 years are reason enough earn him the right to his job (if he still wants it) and if that's not reason enough then I'd like him to stay just to see all those clueless muppets on the terraces and in the rag-press blow a collective blood vessel in their pea-brains.

Originally posted by Pigman
    But then again I'd rather McCarthy keep his job until the end of the campaign if possible. I think his results over the past 6 years are reason enough earn him the right to his job (if he still wants it) and if that's not reason enough then I'd like him to stay just to see all those clueless muppets on the terraces and in the rag-press blow a collective blood vessel in their pea-brains.

His results ? The ones against Macedonia, Belgium & Turkey ? And those clueless muppets you refer to are the fans, the ones who had to watch Ireland fail at the world cup because of McCarthy, the ones McCarthy was refering to when he said "I'll go when they don't want me anymore". The ones he has let down because he wants to be best buddies with everyone on the team instead of picking the best team.

If anyone has a small brain then it's you.

Maybe the results that were being referred to were those against Portugal and Holland, or maybe Germany. Teams rated amongst the world's top 10. I don't particularly like Mc Carthy but I'd rather he stayed than got thrown out. If only to ensure that the FAI are left with enough money to look after the team a bit better in the future. If Mick was pushed out now, he would cost the FAI quite a few quid.

I was being sarcastic listing them, I know there was good results but there was also bad results and they out number the good results.

If McCarthy stays we won't qualify for Portugal and miss out on millions, hence the FAI should bite the bullet, get rid of him for as little as possible and bring in someone that can get us to qualify.

He has a meeting with them today but there is no get rid of him for as little as possible. They will have to buy him out of his contract if he does not want to go and to do that will cost the FAI whatever time is left on his contract * his wages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭plastic membrane

Give Brian Kerr a shot. We have bugger all to lose..

• Advertisement
Advertisement