Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem connecting to the internet

Options
  • 18-10-2002 12:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭

Details:

- Living in the Dublin 14 (Dundrum) area
    - Everything worked fine until last Tuesday
    - Modem appears to handshake twice (whereas is should only handshake once). After that, I either get connected, then immediately disconnected, or the call ends with an error ("the server did not respond" etc etc).
    - Connecting to Indigo (6047000) or Eircom (2171101) or IOL had same result
    - 2 desktops (win98, winXP) and 1 laptop (win98) in the house all exhibit the same problem
    - Trying both phone lines in the house made no difference
    - Trying 2 different cables made no difference
    - Got connected once last night, tracert to Indigo DNS server did complete although not without timeouts and long delays (1 to 2 seconds). Got disconnected within 5 mins.
    - Both lines have been tested by Eircom and checkout fine, although Eircom (quote) "do not support data transmission over analogue lines".

I'm running out of ideas of what the problem could be. The only thing I can think of is that there is some line interference between my house and the exchange, but I have no idea on how to verify that. I'm going to try and connect with my neighbors line tonight.

Does anyone else have any idea of what might be wrong?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Snowbat

Originally posted by koloth
    although Eircom (quote) "do not support data transmission over analogue lines".
    As evidenced by their ADSL service? Hmm ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,338 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

Ring them again, and again if you have to. It can only be the line at fault.
    You could try adding some strings to disable v90 on the modems or just lower the connection speed down until they start connecting, as a temporary solution anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭Samba

Koloth,

This may or may not be related, but there was a major boo boo by a water works company in Stillorgan.

And now They discovered that many areas still have led cabling, Eircom have now decided to put down new cabling, it caused a load of problems with my line and i had the exact same thing happen to me, it could be they are upgrading in your area.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭elmer

somethign similar happened to me before - it was to do with water on the line - as in everytime it rained this happened

sadly eircom usually won't do much usually - but i eventually got them to swap the wires and got a nice clean line

they told me i'd need an isdn line for internet access numerous times

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

what you described happens in place that were built up more than 40 years ago as a rule. most of Dundrum is newer.

M

• Advertisement
Advertisement