Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

newstalk106 5.25 friday 18th

Options
  • 18-10-2002 1:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭

considering doing something on the broadband or their lack of today at said time, if you all could maybe send me some details of those involved to brian@newstalk106.ie

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Dangger

Brian,

I have mailed you. Perhaps you could give me a call?

David Long
    Chairman IrelandOffline

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭newstalk

thanks for all your interest,

as a 28.8 dialup user since 97 im at last in some position to give this issue some much needed air, ill do as much as i can and hopefully today will be the start of some sort of campaign

brian reynolds
    researcher
    the right hook
    newstalk106

**just wondering if anyone has anyone names and details of people from eircom ntl etc whom have talked on this before**

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I'm up for talking about this too if you want. I have some pointed views on the topic.

Welcome to Boards btw... glad to see someone from a commercial outfit interacting with the Boards community in a way thats more then "Hey come buy our stuff". Seems a trend may be starting :)

DeV.

Congratulations Ray! The interview went very well and George Hook intends to call the ODTR first thing on Monday morning to investigate things further.

We'll get the interview up on the web asap, along with the other ones I have lurking around the place!

newstalk, if you have Minister Ahern on the show its imperative to have him address the lack of dial up flat rate product specifically , as it is something that is years overdue and could be introduced in a very short time if only Eircom would offer a wholesale interconnect offer. Nevada Tele.com and EsatBT have been actively negotiating for months for the release of such a product. Esat previously tried and dropped out of negotiations back in 1999.

My earlier mail to you outlined some of the reasons why we are where we are, and I would be happy to provde you with further information.

Having the Minister go on about the New Connections plan just wouldn't cut it. People (and of course radio presenters :) ) are getting more up to speed on the issues. Action is seriously required. Rolling out fibre connections is great (as covered in the New Connections plan) but will take time, in the mean time lets have dial up flat rate so everyone in the country can get online in the run up to broadband being available in their area.

We've seen the Minister take steps to address the Sky FAI situation, but dare I say this is bigger (way bigger!) than football! Our government has prided itself on the notion that it is the E-hub of Europe for years. Look at the OECD rankings, look at how much it costs us to ues the Internet, look at the lack of broadband, we are far from being E-Hub, we're not even an outer spoke yet.

The market fallout is not an excuse. We were in this same situation back in the late nineties when the government had plenty of money, as did the telcos.

People want broadband, and the people who think they don't want broadband need flat rate for the time being (many will then migrate to broadband). But people need to be able to go online at an afffordable price, we must stop the clock on Internet access. Metered Internet use and costs are preventing people from using it in Ireland.

Perhaps Philip Nolan from Eircom could also be approached for comment. One reason Eircom do not want to see flat rate introduced is blindingly obvious. Look to their recent financial results indicating the individual business units results. Indigo and Eircom.net are two of the few business units actually making profit. Its quite clear that Eircom will continue to stifle Internet use and cream as much as they can from dial up users rather than developing the market and offering improved services. With an Internet penetration rate of 38% there is a huge amount of potential growth. But Eircom's strategy is all short term, and as a result the country suffers.

Eircom's other line is that people don't want broadband, and businesses don't want broadband. Do Eircom have a crystal ball? How do they know that people don't want it when many do not even know what it is as it is not available? Its the classic chicken and egg argument. Eircom will say what is needed is a killer app, but telcos have made the mistake of waiting for a driver of a technology before. Look how they under estimated SMS (texting). The kiler apps are out there already, always on pervasive communications, teleworking, audio conferencing, software package upgrades, education eg. streamed presentation of course modules, e-government sites, entertainment in the form of online gaming, telemedicine........but its not content that Eircom can control.

The problem now is that while our fellow Europeans have had access to a multitude of Internet access products suiting their speed and budget requirements for years now here in Ireland we are stuck with pay per minute access at crawlingly slow speeds. We are told ISDN (Hi Speed as it has confusingly been branded by Eircom) is fast Internet access, its ANCIENT and far from broadband. It has a max speed of 128kbs, broadband is over at least 512kbs!!!! We have been left far behind.

I'm sure many of the Digital Content creation companies working in the Digital Hub area of Dublin would comment on the situation. There is no market for many of their creations here as there is simply not the connectivity required to deliver it to businesses and homes.

Like I said I'll be in touch!

David Long

Chairman IrelandOffline

thanks for all your help..

hopefully we'll be covering this more next week...
    with ze minister

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Jaysus try and give us a bit more notice in the future ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,399 ✭✭✭ando

Originally posted by hmmm
    Jaysus try and give us a bit more notice in the future ;)

ditto ! just got home from work, missed everything :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

Yeah heh, I only noticed it at 5:45... turned on and they were already talking about movies... Needless to say, I flicked straight back to 2fm :p.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭MDR

For all those who missed my Radio Debut ...
    you can listen in @ MDR's Radio Debut

• Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭David C

For all those who missed my Radio Debut ...

Listening to the recording now.. well done.. good points made...
    I bet you're using a Philips radio!
    They have a tendency to switch to being really quiet after a loud "P" of "F" sound is made on an any station with any sort of dodgy signal....
    Pisses me off to no end.. 3 of my tuners are Philips

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Nice radio debut Ray - getting the word out is always good.

Can't/won't add anything that Dave Long hasn't said.

makes careful note that David C is an even bigger geek than I am:)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

There will be at least one follow up to this programme. If you want to add your 2cents, and I'm sure a lot of you do, send your questions or comments to brian@newstalk106.ie
    If you are familiar with the show or indeed George Hook you will know that he will be a great help in our campaign.

just a short note to give a bit of advance warning

currently looking at possibly friday for the next slot for ioffl
    we are puttin in bids for ze government also ntl and eircom

ill update you as it comes together

brian@newstalk106.ie

logo.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I listened to the feature on last weeks show, and shockingly George Hook actually seemed interested in and even a little clued up on the subject at hand.

That makes a change, make sure the mp3 from the next dicussion is availible for us folks in the sticks!

Mike.

Just did a second piece on NewsTalk at 5:05 with George Hook.

Broadly saying we welcome the news, but we need to be sure that the ODTR has the required powers to follow up on the directive.

We also need to initiate a debate with the Minister on what exactly "affordable Internet access" is. What price is affordable. No one else is going to define it, certainly not the telco's or the ODTR. We need to get it going.

Advertisement