Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good News, ODTR revokes Choruses licence.

Options
  • 18-10-2002 5:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭

The bad news is she wouldnt take all of them

Chorus have lost 1 of their 2 wireless licences for not using it.
    The other one (that they will keep) is the Powernet product in Limerick.

From the ODTR website.
    The proposals are being made to take account of technological advances, to allow for swapping of named sites and/or counties and to sanction substantial non-compliance with licence obligations.

How does NTL get away with "substantial non-compliance" every day then?
    The proposed amendments include:

· Removal of certain licence obligations from eircom regarding antennae sites and the provision of the Centrex service.

· Relocation of base stations at Mullingar, Tullamore, Naas, and also Ennis to alternative sites in the Esat FWPMA Licence.
    ESAT pull out of Midlands and Clare it seems.
    · Revocation of Chorus’s FWPMA broadband licence*

This month so far first NTL then SKY then Eircom and Now the Wireless licences. I wonder if the ODTR are under a bit of pressure recently as they are smacking everybody...gently and caringly though.

M

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Yea, seems like the ODTR are finally trying to pull their weight. Even if their collective weight is 0.5g, at least they're trying.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

Well it's about time some action was taken that didn't envole a long court case, just took it off them:) BUT They still have a good few arses left to kick imho.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,399 ✭✭✭ando

its about time it was taken off them. I was told so many times that 'powernet will be available in 3 months'.... so so many times

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

More of this sort of thing ...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

The question in my mind is: "What difference will this make to me?" ... will irishbroadband buy (rent?) the licence and come down to cork and give me 512kbps with the aerial they will put on the gardai's mast in the middle of ballincollig?? (nod nod wink wink)...:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭Vuk

Just to note, the powernet.ie site is now defunct and is simply a mirror of chorus.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Don't Eircom have a wireless licence they show no interest in using/exploiting?

Someone please correct me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

there is a detailed PDF (gasp) odtr0290 on Eircoms licence.

appeared today I think.

The substantial non-compliance bit is obvious from the list of areas to be covered by chorus by the end of 2001 along with the area in sq Kms to be covered. Reality was no coverage anywhere and that was 'substantial non-compliance' in ODTR speak

Dublin Greater Dublin Area 178
    Malahide 2.5
    Swords 3.5

Cork Cork County Borough 25
    Limerick Limerick County Borough 15
    Galway Galway County Borough 13
    Waterford Waterford County Borough 12
    Louth Dundalk 9.5
    Drogheda 7
    Kilkenny Kilkenny City 7
    Clare Ennis 5.5
    Shannon 5
    Wexford Wexford Town 6.5
    Carlow Carlow Town 3.5
    Meath Navan 3
    Laoise Portlaoise 5

What a bunch of ******* Chorus are.

M

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

I should have asked in my last post ... but here is my question:

Was this license that the ODTR revoked for a licensed piece of spectrum? (i.e. unpolluted) ... did Chorus pay for it? ... did they lose their money? ... even if they had some plan would it need special hardware? (i.e. if it did not use the 802.11a or b spectrum, would they (and their customers) need to get rarer and therefore more expensive kit?)
    If expensive hardware is called for ... why would anyone go with them?, surely irishbroadband and other wireless people would be cheaper and easier to replace faulty hardware etc etc

The wireless situation is interesting.

Most of the growth is taking place in the 802.11 frequencies wwhich should not be used for commercial purposes. the commercially licenced frequencies, 10Ghz and 25Ghz , are moribund not least because operators are squatting on them and offering nothing....
    Was this license that the ODTR revoked for a licensed piece of spectrum? (i.e. unpolluted) ... did Chorus pay for it? ... did they lose their money? ... even if they had some plan would it need special hardware? (i.e. if it did not use the 802.11a or b spectrum, would they (and their customers) need to get rarer and therefore more expensive kit?)

Licenced 1999 and unused, revoked.
    I hope they paid dearly but dunno.
    Needs special expensive hardware , not aailable except to carriers.
    They would supply the customer end and it would not be 802.11 compatible

Yellum posted a link to This Article in the wireless forum. A small selective quote explains the ODTR's ongoing dilemma here.
    Everything has changed except for one very important thing: We still regulate the radio spectrum based on the technology of the 1920s.

Read the rest

M

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

Originally posted by Muck

Most of the growth is taking place in the 802.11 frequencies wwhich should not be used for commercial purposes.

Equipment for this frequency is cheap and readily available. There are massive amounts of people using this around the world so theres plenty of support for it. Most manufacturers are making this stuff now and its easy to use.

I hope they paid dearly but dunno.

The fees are on the odtr site I think, I'm sure I found them before. Go seaching.

The fees are on the odtr site I think, I'm sure I found them before. Go seaching.

I make it out (from the 0dtr0289.pdf file) as £200k + £20k x 15 counties in penalties + 3 years frequency rental

- the Chorus whinge factor

thats why I said I didn't know, may be time for an FoI request.

M

Advertisement