Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mike Portnoy is a fscking DRUM GOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• 19-10-2002 9:29am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭

yes just back from Dream Theater - 3rd time i've seen them live and as usual, I spent most of the time watching Portnoy - the man has to be one of the most underrated drummers out there - he is definitely up with Peart et-al but if you did a poll about best drummers he wouldnt feature among all the death/black metal drummers names that would probably dominate the poll. The mans hands are lightning - his fills/rolls are very different and the irregular beats and time changes that are integral to DT are lawlessly executed.

Rest of the band were awesome as well - each of them are so technically proficient at what they do - only compaint was the show was too short - 1hr 45 mins or so - I wouldnt have minded if they had played for another hour!!!!!!!!

This especially sucks since a-ha played for 2 hrs 10 mins on wed night (ahem.....pls dont tell anyone) - I presume theres no point taking that "how metal are u!" test now eh :)

Q

Comments

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

You fúcker! You seen DT and I didn't! I take that it was a good gig then so! I very much agree with you there about Portnoy, excellent drummer. I was listening to Images and Words there this morning and his drumming on it is unbelievable! He's definately up there with the best drummers in the world, your Sandoval's, Herrera's, Carey's etc.

The main reason why I would have went to see them is because of another god in that band, John Petrucci. He is one bloody brilliant guitarist and again one of the most underrated. How did he play last night? Hope he done some of those lightning-fast sweeps that he does so well!

G`wan da Theater!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭Quorthon

petrucci was awesome too - like lighting as you say - watching him live i came to the conclusion he is at least as fast if not faster than steve vai who I saw not too long ago as well.

like i said, only problem was it was too short!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Q

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

Ive Mike Portnoy called the worlds greatest drummer several times, so i doubt he's underrated, but he sure as hell isnt well known enough. Dream theatre arent well enough known for how good they are, I have a 45min long video of DT (change of seasons) and its f*cking brilliant, John Petrucci and Mike Portney were both great in that ideo, would love to see em live tho :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

forget portnoy, did anyone see their soundmen?? ...one of them was all over his board like a rash, never saw a sound man work like that.

the other looked JUST like a young alex ferguson..even chewed gum like him. he got a bit pissed off when i pointed it out to him tho'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

ummm I dont know if you'd call him underrated. He wins polls in Modern Drummer all the time. He is pretty **** hot.

I was going to go to the gig but I bailed in the end. Did Portnoy have his full kit on stage? Must have been huge !!

BTW Did you see that at the second gig in London they played a full set of The Number of the Beast... That would have been cool (DT were doing a full set of Master of Puppets on the last tour )

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭Quorthon

full kit was there - it was big but not the biggest ive seen - was hoping they would do something special for the encore but alas nothing :(

They really seemed like they had a plane to catch or something

Q

Advertisement