Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

'You're S Star' - WOW RTE - nce again a waste of our money

• 19-10-2002 2:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭

RTE's search for a Eurovision star is set to launch in the coming months.

YAWN

Once again the overused process of auditions (YAWN) and probably viewer voting will come in to play so RTE can get something out of it.

Is this what our National Broadcaster has come to. It's not like many people watch the Eurovision anyway. It's a waste of our money.

I for one will not be watching.

You're a star is going 2 be: 36 votes

Terrible
    0% 0 votes
    Absolute waste of money
    19% 7 votes
    You're a what?
    22% 8 votes
    Well done RTE. Can't wait
    16% 6 votes
    Not even TV3 or TG4 would take up this rubbish
    19% 7 votes
    another terrible decision from RTE to put this tripe on
    22% 8 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭three

Hey who said they can't wait

The whole point of this thread is to slag RTE off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Its a national imperitve that RTE stage the Song for Europe competiton as without an entry in the Eurosong contest Ireland is nothing, a musical void, a cultural busted flush, unfit to takes its place in the first rank of European nations...well thats what RTE would nearly have you belive! :)

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

The series isnt a bad idea really.

They combine the commercial success of a tried forumla (Pop Idol, thats what it is folks) with something thats normally dull as dishwater, A Song for Europe.

At worst, its another reality pop culture show. Rte are not alone in this, BBC, ITV and Channel 4 are all running them at the moment, why shouldnt RTE?
    At best, they have an entertaining format which not only livens up the eurosong selection, but also gives ppl a bit more incentive to watch the eurovision.

It should be pretty good. Its the same team as the Irish popstars and i thought that was better than the english version tbh.

Originally posted by three

The whole point of this thread is to slag RTE off

Dont be such a child

Sorry :(

I just think this idea of selecting musicians/singers is getting boring

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

They combine the commercial success of a tried forumla (Pop Idol, thats what it is folks) with something thats normally dull as dishwater, A Song for Europe.

Two dull idea's do not make a hit or interesting show. The eurovision is ment to be a pisstake and anyone who takes it seriously is kidding themselves.

Originally posted by Venom
    Two dull idea's do not make a hit or interesting show.

Says you :)

The Ratings say otherwise. For all the complaints voiced here about reality shows, they are simply one of the most popular things on TV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

I just think this idea of selecting musicians/singers is getting boring

Erm, RTÉ has been selecting singers for the Eurovision for decades with the National Song Contest and Eurosong. Its nothing new.

And Pop Idol and its ilk is just a way of freshening up a formula that has been used since the birth of TV.
    Talent Shows. Like them or loath them, they've been hugely popular on TV all around the world, and even though we (me included) might not like the end product, a lot of folk like these.

And how can we have a poll on a programme which has yet to see the light of day??? Could the RTÉ bashers come up with a more constructive rant to hold up your arguments, please?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

i know that i will off my arse and outside doing something when this is on because someone will want to watch it.

RTÉ promotes excercise :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

The Ratings say otherwise. For all the complaints voiced here about reality shows, they are simply one of the most popular things on TV.

Very true but Im sure you will agree that RTE will find some way to screw it up :)

• Advertisement

Nope actually :)

Ive seen some of the early shows and they are quite good. Remember that its a Shin Awil production for RTE not by RTE. Having said that, the format allows for a bit of RTE tomfoolery when it enters the studio phase....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Originally posted by Dustaz
    Says you :)

Exactly....seems an awful lot of people don't feel quite the same about it. The fact is, as quoted above, it's just a new slant on the Song for Europe idea..and why not. It might produce something better then the old format Eurosong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Anyway these shows are bad the should all be shot down.

The Fame Acedemy (What was the BBC thinking)
    Popstars (Six Who?)
    and
    Postars the Rivals (just showing us how bad this kind of show can get)

And could some one pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee kill Mr Loiuse (What can I say their the greatest band Ya Know) Walshe.

Blaa Blaa Blaa Blaa

Originally posted by Elmo

The Fame Acedemy (What was the BBC thinking)
    It was probably thinking "wahey, ratings". Admittedly auntie shouldnt be thinking this way, but BBC1 is increasingly competing in a highly commercial market
    Popstars (Six Who?)
    That would be Six who sold lots of singles and sold lots of advertising on RTE

Postars the Rivals (just showing us how bad this kind of show can get)
    Hasnt stopped people watching it funnily enough.

As it happens, i personally think we have a little too many fame shows on TV and WAY too many reality shows. However, Im perfectly aware of the market forces that keep them being made.

If its any consolation, the fad will die after a while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Originally posted by Dustaz

As it happens, i personally think we have a little too many fame shows on TV and WAY too many reality shows.

Phew, for a while there Dustaz, I was wondering...;)

Six are currently at the end of extinction.

Louis promised us that Six would be MASSIVE but the the only place they're massive is in some small village probably in the some place called Kilmagoot. Louis is more interested in his Pop Rivals band now.

Tara tara, Six, you have and never will be missed.

RIP Six

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Gunn4r

You know Louis is on Your a Star as well?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

I dont think he is, he's too busy with the UK Popstars.

Its Kerry McFadden, Cool Philter and some other bloke...

<edit> Popstars producer Darren Smith
    http://www.rte.ie/star/page2.html
    </edit>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Gunn4r

It *was* Kerry McFadden, Cool Philter Darren Smith

but Kerry dropped out due to being laden with child (and massive jugs) and was replaced by

Louis Walsh!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Jak

Fame shows, Reality TV and all it entails is due for a crash in the near future in my view.

When the market is flooded with too many Reality shows, people will simply not have the time to keep abreast of all the current conversations spinners .. and without a critical mass they will fail.

When reality programs start using C list celebrities instead of 'regular' people you know they are on the way down.

As for Fame shows, I think there will come a backlash against this sort of programming when people get tired of it and start expecting broadcasters to actually sponsor/uncover some quality programming again.

There are only so many times you can watch someone get slated by a pathetic array of 'expert' judges and find it entertaining.

In addition there is only so much space for halfwit production bands on the market. The likes of 6 are never destined to have any comparable integrity to a band comprised of musicians who can compose and perform. They will always lack longevity and each year when a new array of emotional teenagers gets pumped out into the market, last years one will generally be flushed away.

As for this program specifically - it holds no interest for me, though I may still play the Eurovision drinking game when it is on.

• Advertisement

Louis promised us that Six would be MASSIVE but the the only place they're massive is in some small village probably in the some place called Kilmagoot.

Well, they were never going to be big. No popstars group has ever had a hit outside thier local market (except possibly Bardot, were they a popstars band from Oz?). Once Simon Cowell ****ed off to do the american popstars, Six were destined for the backroads of ireland and shows in Ballyjamesduff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Playboybunny

I was working on Youre A Star throughout the country and i had the best time there working with the whole production team.
    Ok so the first show last week was very boring- apart from when i made two appearences! but it should make the whole Eurovision thing in Ireland more fun. Look at us the last time we got one of the lowest scores- we had to do something to make us look better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Cork

I think that we had our fill of Fame Shows. RTE should make up its mind - Does it want to be a commerial station or a public service broadcaster?

How much is it spending on this programme?

How much time did it spend alaysingb the Linsday Report?

This show is bubblegum TV.

Ray Darcy does do a great job. The Atomic Kitten lady seems to be enjoying her stint judging the contestants.

But - RTE needs to grow up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Kalina

It's absolute tripe, can't believe Phil Coulter is involving himself in it. His career must be in trouble... or at least it will be by the time the show is over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭Red Devil

If all the contestants were burnt at the end of the show maybe it would be a good thing.
    Why can't this maunufactured pap be produced in a factory and not on our tv screens?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭comet

As someone who watches these reality TV shows and enjoys the Eurovision I was looking forward to the program. Irelands entrants in the Eurovision over the last couple of years have been absolutely pathetic mainly due to the fact that televoting was introduced and the show was shown on a Saturday night when most people were out. The previous panel of judges who knew a thing or two about music had much more success at picking the entrant than my granny sitting in on a saturday night. So the show was a good idea.
    Having seen it last saturday night, I'm starting to wonder. They spent half the show showing us people making fools of themselves, i thought that was just for the first introductory program. Then in the last 20 minutes they showed us people singing 2 lines of a song and a little story about where they came from and we're supposed to vote on someone from that!! What a load of rubbish. The only people motivated to vote were their friends and family(over and over again). I just hope the format changes, its an absolute disgrace at the very least you have to hear a whole song being performed who cares where they are from or what their brother does, its irrelevant. Get your act together afterall 2 lines of a song don't make a summer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Kalina

I watched the repeat of the 2nd show since I last posted and I can't believe how bad the standard was. Out of the 8 contestants that they picked only 3 of them were any good and, imho, none of them are Eurovision material.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Paulg

Watched last nights show. It was the biggest load of sh1te!!!
    It shows the worst performers on camera, but most of the time it shows the panel opinions on performers that we haven't even seen... now where is the entertainment in that.

And the panel are rubbish too. One guy says nothing, Kerri knows nothing about music, and Phil is too "daddy" like to give worthwhile comment.

Also, charging 60 cent to vote, its a bloody disgrace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Cork

I saw some of it last night - Ray Darcy saves the show.

The show is pretty dire. Even TV3 would not show this rubbish. How many of these singers would enter the Eurosong - if they had to send in a demo?

Miarah Carey & Celine Dion must be the role models for Irelands women folk.

It is all pretty scary.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8 stonequeen

i've seen the odd bits. mainly for the d'arcy. no, kelly doesn't know anything about music but then most of the feedback they seem to give the contestants is about their appearance so, you know... why do people continue to go on these things when it's kinda clear at this stage that the only recognition they get is pretty much to get the p*ss ripped out of them?? :confused:

Advertisement