Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Design Menus

Options
  • 19-10-2002 5:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭

Wonder if you could give me some advice I'm designing an official website for a new girl band and just wanted advice on the following:
    1. Where is the best place to upload a site with music clips

2. should I use frames?

Or I was thinking of a small pop up window with naviagtion along the top that drop down?

I'd love some feed back and ideas

Many Thanks
    Kate

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

1. are you talking about free hosting is that it, - not sure tbh, eircom, geocities etc.

2. No No No

Have a look at other girl bands sites and se what way they are laid out etc.

Also check out the design structure here www.cmeire.com - :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭the Guru

There are loads of places you can use to host your site again Esat Eircom net weblink

Using frames please dont I absolutly hate them and If I remember correctly I heard that soon with newer browsers they are not going to be supported (I may be wrong) but please dont use them.

I also think that DHTML menus look very cool / professional

Girl band websites have a look at Shirkira's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭steve-hosting36

On the hosting side - check out the hosting forum :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Dun

Defintely a big NO to pop-up windows. I for one usually have them closed before anything loads, presuming (99.9% of the time correctly) that it's an ad.

Also, before signing up for webspace, check if they allow audio clips - some won't allow files ending in .mp3/ra/rm/wav/mpg/exe/zip etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

Originally posted by kegan5
    Wonder if you could give me some advice I'm designing an official website for a new girl band and just wanted advice on the following:
    1. Where is the best place to upload a site with music clips

2. should I use frames?

If you are doing the official site for a group you will probably need to have it professionally hosted. You can use free space for clips etc., but if the downloads become popular the account will probably be deleted.

As for frames....

Big no no. There are very few reasons for using them and I can think of a multitude of reasons why they should be avoided.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭damien_gill

OK on your two questions.

1: if you are using a free eircom account obviously the URL will be http://homepage.eircom.net/username. Obviously that doesn't sound too professional. So if you host your site on eircom or any other free service for that matter go to www.dot.tk it is a free URL forwarder so your new URL would be www.username.tk you wont have any space with this accuont cos the host site will be eircom thing is people wont know it.

2: in regards to navigation go to www.dynamicdrive.com they have great scripts and ideas all for free about all different aspects of web design. However, in particular their navigation scripts are second to none in my opinion.

That's where I got mine check it out at www.irishmusicnetwork.tk

HOPE THAT HELPS

Advertisement