Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First Nice Results In - Looks Like A Yes

Options
  • 19-10-2002 11:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Yep, looking like 63/27 for Yes.

http://www.referendum.ie/

All you need.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭DadaKopf

It's all over. It's a Yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Last time, only 2 constituencies voted in favour. Now, looking espically the way that Dublin South-West, Tallaght voted, I cant see if there will be a No voting constituency.

I never thought I'd be talking about swing when it comes to a referendum, but in this one, you can!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Originally posted by daveirl
    Unfortunately everyone is applauding the electronic voting which I don't like but I do like a Yes vote so I'm happy

Ppl are applauding because you can get accurate tallies immediately, as long as you are willing to assume that the system is honest.

Of course, this inevitably allows the nay-sayers to cry on about deliberately corrupted code designed to produce the desired result regardless of the inputs.

As a somewhat-geek, I would only say that a chip can feasibly be re-engineered to show how it worked and what it did, enough to prove the accuracy and honesty, unless you wish to posit a conspiracy of incredible detail.

While I'm still undecided about the correctness of the lack of ability to spoil a vote, I find it hard to fault electronic voting as a concept.

Having said that, I havent studied the Irish implementation (nor any other) so I cant honestly say how good a solution is offered......

jc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I'm off to watch the RTE special now, I just hope the actual turnout was a good one so there can be no arguments about "the will of the people..." etc.

Mike.

I'm back, RTE are either lying or running way over schedule.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

They started the coverage at 11 instead of midnight as the results came in so quickly. Sky EPG has the show running till just past 2 but I see they're continuing the movie they were showing from 9 instead.

Tossers!

Mike.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Cork

Well. The vote seems to be a Yes one. As a democrat - I accept it.

I worry that in an enlarged EU - We will indeed have little to no influence & We will need to become a net contributor to build up infractructure in the applicant countries.

Apart - from all the pretty good things that have come from Europe such as some pretty good social legalislation. The No people have got to remain focused and form new alliences.

Spain and France are about to break the Maastrict stability pact. Prodi has stated that these set of contidions are stupid. I think that the Euro (alrady are weak currancy) is in peril as a bona fide currancy.

I think that Germany, Frace & UK have moved this debate on whether we want a federal Europe. With such a small population - we will not have much influence.

We have came from a position to where all the eyes of Europe were on us - to one where they won't give a damn.

But - I respect the Irish peoples verdict. I saw the reasons why people voted Yes & No. Let us hope, we as a nation made the right decision.

• Subscribers Posts: 4,419 ✭✭✭PhilipMarlowe

Originally posted by Cork
    ...& We will need to become a net contributor to build up infractructure in the applicant countries....

And this is a bad thing how, exactly?
    Is there some magic set of circumstances that we could keep on receiving more than we give for ever and ever amen? :confused:

Originally posted by daveirl
    Take a look at this http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=67415

Already had. Lillington is wrong. I've answered in that thread.

jc

Originally posted by Licksy20
    And this is a bad thing how, exactly?
    Is there some magic set of circumstances that we could keep on receiving more than we give for ever and ever amen? :confused:

Resources are scarce.

Where will our net contribution come from?
    Our Health budget?
    Our Roads budget?
    Education budget?

The exchequer is not awash with funds - And we longer believe in labours 5 point little card which promised to do magic in the ballot box..

These funds will have to be found.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Mr White

Legal immigration is running at 36,000 per annum,illegal at 10,000,currently.Now with free movement into Ireland for East Europeans from day 1 of accession we'll become a nation of foreigners very quickly.

Ireland;it was good while it lasted.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Originally posted by Mr White
    Now with free movement into Ireland for East Europeans from day 1 of accession we'll become a nation of foreigners very quickly.

Grand. That's better than a nation of racists and xenophobes. I'm glad for you that you don't live in Manchester or London :rolleyes:

At the last minute I was convinced (by someone with a lot of experience in and knowledge of both national and European politics) to vote "yes" after intending all along to vote "no". Don't ask me the reasons why as I wasn't interested enough in the issues at hand in the first place to actually remember, but it seemed like the right decision to make.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭swiss

Legal immigration is running at 36,000 per annum,illegal at 10,000,currently.Now with free movement into Ireland for East Europeans from day 1 of accession we'll become a nation of foreigners very quickly.
    Would you prefer to have an Ireland just like your namesake Mr. White. This isn't the thread to discuss the political effects of immigration. Either start up one either here or in humanities if you want to discuss that.

I for one welcome legitimate asylum seekers into the country. Illegal immigration is a legislative issue, and one best not dealt with in this thread.

Bloody Foreigners! er.....:p
    At the last minute I was convinced (by someone with a lot of experience in and knowledge of both national and European politics) to vote "yes" after intending all along to vote "no". Don't ask me the reasons why as I wasn't interested enough in the issues at hand in the first place to actually remember, but it seemed like the right decision to make.

Good grief Bard weeks of arguement here, there and everywhere then you change your mind...! Still at least you voted.
    Our Health budget?
    Our Roads budget?
    Education budget?

The exchequer is not awash with funds - And we longer believe in labours 5 point little card which promised to do magic in the ballot box..

Cork we can't start puting the hat out to the EU for current spending, we never could. That €40 billion debt is ours, owed to the banks of Ireland and beyond. (Though you could argue EU dosh for other matters, meant we borrowed less than otherwise would have been the case).

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Looks like every single constituency in Ireland said NO!.... to Typedef :)

• Advertisement

Resources are scarce.

Our Health budget?
    Our Roads budget?
    Education budget?

And your point is?

For years, our resources have been built with other people's money. We didnt have the cash, and someone else gave it to us.

We never had a problem accepting it.

Further to that, I can think of very few nations in the world (except perhaps some oil-exporting nations) who generate enough revenue that their government's couldnt spend all that they earn and more.

Which means that any nation who gave us cash previously had to answer the same question. Where did they make the cutbacks to give those damn paddies some cash.

Sure, that wasnt our problem, but we will never be in a position where we can say "sure, we dont need this money - you have it". Knowing this, we still agreed to a system where we would become net contributors eventually.

The argument that "we cant afford it yet" is null and void, as there will never be a time when we can afford it in absolute terms.

jc

And given that the No camp were the ones arguing that Nice was not about expansion, and that expansion would occur inevitably without Nice anyway, exactly how is your point relative to what we were discussing????

jc

The argument that "we cant afford it yet" is null and void, as there will never be a time when we can afford it in absolute terms.

I agree with you. But the Irish tax payers will have to come up with the € or else services will have to be cut back.

Germany has now broken the stability pact. They are a range of savere penetys for this.

Do you thing Germany will be punished?

I really don't think so.

If we broke this pact.

Hospitals would be closed down all over the country.

Hospitals would be closed down all over the country.
    Thats a tad melodramatic.
    mm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 mavo

IRISH FREEDOM was lost Mick Collins would not be pleased:confused::( :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭shotamoose

Originally posted by mavo
    IRISH FREEDOM was lost Mick Collins would not be pleased:confused::( :mad:

Good thing he's dead, so. But it makes me wonder how Brian Boru would have felt about enhanced cooperation on the distribution of structural funds. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Mr White

Most visa holders(1 year immigrants)come from Eastern Europe;many illegal immigrants(refugees)come from there too.Since Mr.Cowen has made the unaccountable decision to admit all applicant country's citizens from day 1,whose to say more won't come here?Especially since the larger countries like Germany will have a 7 year ban on free movement.Where else can they go?

Thanks to the YES vote there is nothing to keep these 'bought and paid for' politicians in check.

And yes,I'd like Ireland to remain white.What's wrong with that?

Well, I'd be interested in hearing a non-racist justification for that....

jc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Well forgive me for stating obvious here but aren't all Eastern Europeans white !!

Or are they shades of white. Like a White with pastel hint of Lemon or how about Apple white. Maybe you can define what the Irish white colour is ??? :rolleyes:

As for where else can they go once they see the mess this country is in thanks to the idiots in Fianna Failure (thanks bertiebowl) and the Progressive (thats a joke) D!ckwads I'm sure they will keep clear of us. Then again I'm sure they can expect a nice warm Irish welcome from your youth movement.

Gandalf.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement