Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kurt Cobain's Diaries

Options
  • 20-10-2002 12:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭DerekD Goldfish

It it just me or is it just me or is it a bit weird reading through a dead persons diaries after their dead. There were a few extracts from Jeff Buckley diary in his biogragraphy but i always felt a bit weird reading them. It would put you off writing na diary knowing someone might come along and publish them when you die.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 427 ✭✭pyure

excellent stuff, cant wait to read the full version

maybe it is a bit weird to read his diaries, but it would be good to know what he was thinkin when he wrote certain songs (in his own words not some guys guess) - i dunno, im just lookin forward to it

and on the front of one of his journals it says 'if you read you/dont/you'd (?) judge'
    so maybe he wouldnt mind people reading it - and one of the entries is a first attempt at an autobiography, so the would be good to read

he really was the last great rock star

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

when are these diaries being released. it will be my 1st visit to a book shop in a very long time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

alas, the release of these diaries signals the next step in courtneys never ending crusade to milk the Nirvana cash cow dry.In my opinion, the content of Kurts Diaries are none of the rest of anyone elses F*ckin business. Courtney Love will release bulls*it like this til the day she dies just to make sure her arse is kept on the front page.the sooner she's gone the better it will be for everyone.

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 953 ✭✭✭superconor

those on the site look edited

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Dun

It does feel a little bit sneaky to me :D

Anyway, the pages on the site seem to be put together in a very strange and haphazard manner. You'd think they would have done it chronologically or something. Maybe there's something better in the printed (read 'paid for' :rolleyes:) version.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

I recommend Charles R Cross' book for anyone that feels a bit wierd about reading the diaries... by all accounts Kurt had a habit of leaving scrawled journals all over his various abodes without caring much who might see them.

Of course he was whacked out on junk at the time...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭deco

I'd buy it if I wasn't funding the foul hell bítch that is Courtney Love

• Advertisement

You always seem to take Love's side...

I say down with that sort a' thing!

And the book thats out about Kurt at the moment was written with the supervision of Love...

Nick Broomfield would disagree with your interpertation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭D-Generate

From reading the Heavier than Heaven book I get the opinion that Kurt Cobain was a wanker and way worse than Courtney Love ever was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭Pencapchew

Just to let anyone that is interested know that waterstones book stores have the diaries advertised at 12.99 euro! There is a mis-print in their catalogue. It sure beats the 31 euro rrp. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,840 ✭✭✭s8n

is it onsale now at that price???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭Pencapchew

Last weekend I was in waterstones looking at the book and the guy working there told me that due to the mis-print he had to sell it at that price. Everywhere else is 31 euro and that is the price it should be.

they should be on sale atm, pretty expensive as far as i know

gonna go check easons on friday, spend a few hours there readin it hehe

thankfully they seem to much more about nirvana - lyrics, song ideas, video ideas, cartoons etc, rather than kurts intimate thoughts and feelings...much better imo

the sad thing is i've always thought of kurt as a really intelligent person who acted dumb (kinda as part of the whole grunge sceen) , but alot of people who read the diaries now get the feeling that he was actually pretty dumb (some of his opinions are very narrow minded and ignorant im told), but that he just had a flair for writting witty lyrics

basically if you want to know more about nirvana, buy the diaries, but if you're more interested in kurt read heavier than heaven (one of the saddest books ive ever read)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭artvandelay

Think the whole thing is just another case of Courtney Love the necrophiliac. Notice as well when the greatest hits came out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Opitimus

do ye think its right 2 read another persons diaries

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Doodee

actually, the majourity of the time kurt left his diaries around for ppl to read.

also about him being narrow minded and dumb.
    The guy was contemplating suicide when he was a child, before he ever witnessed/saw a dead body.
    He had a kinda split personality aswell.
    As is said in Heavier than heaven he often referred to himself as Kurdt, which was more like his media personality.

And as was pointed out, these Diaries generally refer to his thoughts on the band, lyrics and Music videos, as well as all his opiniens on the Rock scene.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

Kurt is dead, which makes him a historical figure, even if some people do still venerate him... and let's face it, you can't hurt the feelings of the dead.

But I agree, not funding Courtney is a big incentive not to buy them. Read them quietly in hodges figgis and then run I say. Or spend the same amount on the Cobain murder case file from Tom Grant and rebalance your karma that way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭rien_du_tout

I just couldnt buy it. I read the 1st page and it felt so wrong. Heavier than heaven was brilliant though......

seán

heavier than heaven is far more personal than anything in the journals
    and the quotes from hth come from the unpublished parts of the journals - the real personal stuff (or as far as i remember they do)

the whole 'journals' title is abit misleading imo, its more of 'Kurt Cobains Journals of Nirvana'

anyone who really expected courtney to let anything personal from the journals be printed is a bit of a fool imo

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

of course she wouldn't.she's keepin that for the "journals-part 2" and possibly a little sticker collection and maybe fortune cookies or somethin.the womans a cash hoe and if she thinks she'll get money by exploiting the curiousaity of the average idiot she's gonna do it.

Originally posted by daveirl
    Since Heavier Than Heaven quotes heavily from his diaries is that wrong too? :rolleyes:

But the aim of Heavier than Heaven is different. It's not publishing a mans private documents but a biography which although it may be delving into his personal life is accepted in society. The release of a dead mans journal when he said he didnt want any of them published is slightly different. The diary references do add to to Heavier than Heaven though!

there's very little really private **** in the journals, mostly its letters kurt sent, lyrics for songs, video ideas and drawings.
    Actually there's a letter to fans in there as well :p as well as nirvana biographys that kurt wrote

i fail to see peoples problem with the book

His journals are looking more and more attractive to me everyday. hmmm.....maybe I'll stay in the shop for a while and read a few pages!

seán

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭smoke

I don't like the idea of keeping a journal but i think if someone does it should be respected. I'm not ever gonna read it especially because I know my money will just feed the greed of those who were involved in publishing it.

Advertisement