Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland on Sunday: "nt hell"

• 20-10-2002 2:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭

Today's Ireland on Sunday has devoted an entire page to NTL and their abysmal cable service.

The have stories from various subscribers, such as 'snowy BBC', 'no picture', 'billed wrongly' and 'no refund'.

They even have 'a worker's tale'. The worker states that 'he has been in the €15k a year job for six months, but already, 80% of those who started with him have quit in disgust'. This job is absolute torture. You have to get through 55 calls a day, regardless. It's like being a bonded slave. You actually have to get permission to go to the toilet. It's like being back in National School'.

More interestingly, the article also states that 'Telecoms Regulator. Etain Doyle is powerless to intervene in the financially crippled company's affairs. All she can do is pass complaints onto NTL itself, alledges the oppostion, they are long-fingered along with all the other complaints from the firm's 371,000 customers.
    Fine Gael spokesman Phil Hogan last night said proper criteria must be drawn up to keep the cable service provider in line. 'It's totally unacceptable that a private monopoly should not be responsible for complints from customers', he said

It's a firly lengthy article, but those interested can read it on page 35 of today's edition.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,707 ✭✭✭jd

Originally posted by Leesider
    The worker states that 'he has been in the €15k a year job for six months, but already, 80% of those who started with him have quit in disgust'. This job is absolute torture. You have to get through 55 calls a day, regardless. It's like being a bonded slave. You actually have to get permission to go to the toilet. It's like being back in National School'.

This is standard enough for call centres...
    This kind of bollox doesn't help genuine provision of customer service..
    Management like nice numbers they can look at, ie statistics from the phone system

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Won't comment on an article I haven't read, but my own experience with calling NTL on 1800 321 321 is a cup of tea and a good book should be brought with you to the phone...

Anyway, thread moved to the Cable and MMDS forum.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

joined up with NTL Digital a couple of months ago and the first 2 bills I got I had to pay manually. I rang up NTL and reminded them that I had filled out a DD mandate and were they gonna use it. They said no, so I was happy with that as I prefer to pay at my own pace. Then this morning I logon to my account and low and behold they have taken this months bill out. This is after I had already paid the damn thing manually. Needless to say I have rang my bank and stopped the DD and NTL can feck off if they think I'm ringing them again(and wait a lifetime) to let them know I have stopped the DD. At leasy next months bill is paid for now I suppose.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 933 ✭✭✭dardoz

couldnt agree more icdg. The last few times ive rang when my cable internet connection has gone balls up Ive sat down to watch Buffy. I even got right to the end of it once.

Advertisement