Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what book made you a reader.

Options
  • 20-10-2002 4:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 36

I was going to ask which book was peoples favorite of all time. but , i couldnt figure it out myself so tell me, what was the book that really made you go 'sh!t, this reading stuff kinda rocks'.
    mine has to be Frank Herberts 'Dune'. I read it when i was about 15 and it was the first book that really got my imagination running riot. mmmmmm the freman, the Atredies, Spice, Baron Harkonan. such a great book.
    so let me know what book was your 'dune'.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭Kai

Mine probably would have been the hobbit, by J.R.R Tolkien. I was pretty young maybe 12 or 13 and loved how detailed the book was, also it led up to the Lord of the Rings trilogy. I Preffered LOTR but the Hobbit was the one that got me interested in reading first.
    :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭SweetBirdOfTruth

Silas Marner.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Hard to say.

As a kid, my dad got me into reading by giving me a Hardy Boys book each Saturday. Within a few months, I'd have it finished by the Saturday night.

Possibly, though, it was before that....before I even started reading. On summer holidays, my dad used to read myself and my sis a chapter or two from one of Carroll's Alice books at bedtime.

I guess I was a reader long before I read anything memorable....

jc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭DadaKopf

I think the book that mainly got me started was Good Omens but I really started reading in earnest when I discovered Albert Camus.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭thedrowner

that would be lucy leek doing her own washing!
    my very first childrens book and since then ive read on average about 1-2 books a week. my favourite book would probably be pride and prejudice, all time classic or maybe the anne of green gables series (by L.M.Montgomery), with rilla of ingleside being my favorite

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭CodeMonkey

I always hated reading when I was younger but I remembered enjoying The Outsider immensely when I was in 1st year. That still didn't get me reading books for fun. A couple of weeks before school starts when I was around 14, I picked up Catcher in the Rye from the piles of book my parents already bought for school and started reading it. I couldn't put it down and finished it in 2 nights. I've been a reader ever since.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

When I started Secondary we had a fairly good library, there was a series of mystery books by Alfred Hitchcock called The Three Detectives I think. I read the first in the series in a weekend and was hooked from then on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭cartman

Ann and Barry

• Registered Users Posts: 15,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Started reading the Shannara books when I was six and never looked back, have been a fantasy fan ever since.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭LoBo

probably Roald Dahl - can't remember exactly though

• Advertisement

does anyone remember those books that made you decide what storyline the characters were going to take by turning to different pages????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Kolodny

Originally posted by Frugu
    Mine probably would have been the hobbit, by J.R.R Tolkien.

Same here. It was the first book I can remember being read to me as a kid and ended up being the first book I read myself when I was a bit older.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Antoine de Saint-Exupéry's - The Little Prince. Lots of surrealism and it made me cry and smile.

Originally posted by thedrowner
    does anyone remember those books that made you decide what storyline the characters were going to take by turning to different pages????

Those choose your own adventure books, hold your finger in the page, find out which was the best decision and take that way :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Lord of the rings of course... ( read the Hobbit after it!!).
    Now im hooked.. Im reading Wheel of time now

How are you finding the wheel of time Sar ??

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,702 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

About 15 I was. The 3rd book of the Illearth War by Stephen Donaldson. Literally found it one day, and opened the first page and was hooked from then on - these things should carry a health warning. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Adrian Mole I do hope there is another one.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

My first proper introduction to reading as a kid was probably Enid Blyton... and the Famous Five.

(eep!) :eek:

Ah... her books were great when you were a kid though, weren't they?... Go on admit it.

...Ginger beer, adventures on Kirrin Island, A girl called George, Timmy the dog, pass the sandwiches, hidden treasure, Dick, Anne, camping, boating, hiking, hiding in barns, smugglers, sunken ships, crisps, 'fizzy pop', GOD JULIAN YOU ARE A F**KIN' BRICK!...

Thankfully my literary tastes have improved (vastly) since then...

MeEt TeH gAnG!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Dun

Originally posted by Thanx 4 The Fish
    Those choose your own adventure books, hold your finger in the page, find out which was the best decision and take that way :)

Hehe - glad to hear I wasn't the only cheater :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Dun

Originally posted by Bard
    My first proper introduction to reading as a kid was probably Enid Blyton... and the Famous Five.
    Ah... her books were great when you were a kid though, weren't they?... Go on admit it.
    ...Ginger beer, adventures on Kirrin Island, A girl called George, Timmy the dog, pass the sandwiches, hidden treasure, Dick, Anne, camping, boating, hiking, hiding in barns, smugglers, sunken ships, crisps, 'fizzy pop', GOD JULIAN YOU ARE A F**KIN' BRICK!...

Hehe - that was my introduction too. Those and the Hardy Boys, and the Alfred Hitchcock Three Investigators books. "JUPITER JONES, you come here at once!" :D And at our school there was a pile of old Tom Swift books which I loved.

One day I was rereading some books and realised I was too old for them. From there it was Stephen King for ages. Now I read anything that's not obvious cráp.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭pauldeehan

I was always a reader from a very young age, I'm mildly short sighted as a result of reading after bed time when I was a kid. I would read Hardy Boys (until I realised it was the same plot over and over) and those Enid Blyton books. The first book I really, really enjoyed was Paddy Clarke Ha Ha when I was about 10. Now I mostly read Stephen King.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

I'd have to say Clive Barker's "The Thief of Always".

Before reading this I didn't believe anyone was capable of writing well in the English language anymore. This despite reading a lot since I was a boy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭McGinty

I cannot remember which precise book enticed me to be a reader, although I think it was Alice in Wonderland, I have always read from about the age of 8 years old. In school when I read out aloud I sounded like I was an illiterate, however at home I was reading encyclopedia's, magazines, books from the library, jumble sales, even my parents books. Anything that I could lay my hands on.

I am still like that today, l love books, I think though my all time favourites are Lord of the Rings and the Harry Potter books, pure magic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Funky

the hobbit when i was about 6 , i've read way too much since...

yeah mc ginty, i love the harry potter books. i know fans, and avid haters, but i just found them completely enthralling (bar the first one after i read the next 3) i only got into them for reading them to kids i babysat for!!!!
    i cant believe no 5 was put back a year dammit!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

Stuff like Famous Five,Hardy Boys,Roald Dahl when i was a kid. Loved reading since then. Didn't read much through early teens. Got really back into reading then around 18 reading stuff like "The Doors of Perception" by Huxley, "The Catcher In The Rye","Alice In Wonderland" and "Through The Looking Glass" then a lot of philosophy books(Nietzsche,Plato).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭johnnynolegs

everything got me into reading but the first book that i read properly was the lord of the rings when it was read to us in school and then i read it myself after that and have now managed to read it a startling 18 times silly silly silly boy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭xern

Well the novel i did for my leaving cert (all those years ago!!!)
    JD Salinger's The Catcher in the Rye.
    before that i would have never have been a reader, so over the last 8 years i've read loads of books, from LOTR, the wheel of time, the godfather to name a fue, i'm reading NEMESIS by Bill napier at the moment, it's a good book I'd recommend it!

XERN ;)

Advertisement