Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what book made you a reader.

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

The earliest books I can remember loving were the Narnia books by C.S. Lewis. The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe, Voyage of the Dawntreader and all the rest of them.

Absolute joy reading them and led on nicely to the Hobbit and the Lord of the Rings.

Then of course an unhealthy adolescent love of all fantasy causing perhaps my greatest shame - a complete collection of Raymond E. Feist's and David Edding's "works".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭johnnynolegs

y is that shameful..........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭Waylander

Dappergent you are man after my own heart. I read those Chronicles of Narnia ( including The Lion, the Witch and The wardrobe ) after seeing an animated version on the telly at Christmas one year. Never looked back. They lead me down the same road as well. Tolkien - Eddings - All things Fantasy, especially David Gemmell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

The earliest books I can remember loving were the Narnia books by C.S. Lewis. The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe, Voyage of the Dawntreader and all the rest of them.

same as myself

• Registered Users Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

Originally posted by johnnynolegs
    y is that shameful..........
    Because apart from Magician by Feist they're all really really bad books.

Eddings is a gibbon who seems to be getting away with writing the same book 20 times over and Feist figured he didn't need to bother any more because idiots like me kept buying his books even when they were rubbish.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 448 ✭✭Chowmein

Must have been the Hobbit first that realy got me into reading, went on to the discworld series from there (i still put down books im in the middle of to read the new ones :) )

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by Mercury_Tilt
    Im hardly going to admit it was a series of books about some girls in a boarding school now am I.

Haha, you read your sister's Mallory Towers books didn't you:D Or worse, those Chalet school books where they had a different language each day (oops, I've said too much)

Er, Peter Rabbit or Noddy and His Car. My mammy got me into reading before she sent me off to school. I've always read quite a bit - ran through all the famous 5 books before I hit 1st class but never liked the Secret Seven or many of the other Enid Blyton books (though I liked "The (insert exciting location) of Adventure" books - only six of those though.

Parents were actually quite good (generous dammit - they weren't that well-off) about getting books for their little brat - they'd provided me with all the Read it Yourself books they could lay their hands on before packing me off to ABCland

The odd thing is that I discovered a lot of kiddy books relatively late - never read Roald Dahl's BFG, James & the Giant Peach etc until I'd worked through his regular short stories (which are rather good - go and get them). These days I read a lot less (sometimes only one a week) - far less time I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by DapperGent
    Eddings is a gibbon who seems to be getting away with writing the same book 20 times over

Have to agree with you. Read the Belgariad and Malloreon books a good few years back. Not bad I suppose but still bad Tolkien ripoffs (though to be fair at least I never noticed Eddings making up silly songs)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Great Expectations.
    Silver Sword
    Chronicles of Narnia.
    Flowers in the Attic

Umm one of those.
    Tho Flowers in teh Attic was a good un could be the 1st book i read when iw as about 11/12

kdjaC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 blackadder

douglas adams' hitchhikers guide books... wanted to be a writer ever since

• Advertisement
Advertisement