Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Case Lights

Options
  • 20-10-2002 5:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭

I'm looking for some Neon Lights or Cold Cathode lights to fit into my new casemod with window :D

I can only find em on overclockers... anywhere in Ireland stock these?

Apologies if this has been asked before. I havent time to search, in work and access to boards is on a quota.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Mutz

Maplins beside the Jervis/UGC have some LED fans. Do a Search on the Technology and this Forum to search for some of the Posts PPC has put up.

Did ya get a new System Pimp?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭Pimp Ninja

Originally posted by Mutz
    Did ya get a new System Pimp?

Its on its way in bits n pieces.. I have the Case and sound card.. the rest is either being considered or in the post :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭PPC

Maplin still have cathodes i believe.
    CPC do the inverters here

I got an Antec trilight fan
    V. Nice but its not the coolest fan

CPC codes

COLD CATHODE FLUORESCENT BLUE LIGHT
    Order Code: DP2724366 Unit Cost: £3.96

COLD CATHODE FLUOR. GREEN LIGHT
    Order Code: DP2724466 Unit Cost: £3.96

COLD CATHODE FLUOR. PINK LIGHT
    Order Code: DP2724566 Unit Cost: £3.96

COLD CATHODE FLUOR. WHITE LIGHT
    Order Code: DP2724666 Unit Cost: £3.96

COLD CATHODE FLUOR. YELLOW LIGHT
    Order Code: DP2724766 Unit Cost: £3.96

COLD CATHODE FLUOR. BLACKLIGHT
    Order Code: DP2724866 Unit Cost: £3.54

COLD CATHODE FLUOR.LIGHT PSU
    Order Code: DP2724966 Unit Cost: £3.34

I dunno if cpc deal with the public tho.

Great PPC thanks man...

I know a man with a dog and a cpc account, so I'll see if i can get it there... Also since he owns a lighting company I might be able to persuade him to stock these items... Anyone interested???

Yeah i ordered a loada stuff today.
    PSU's
    more cathodes
    Alu project box
    spiral wrap.
    Pc is going to be worked one ;)
    getting a new dragon this week :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭daveJAM

Damn forgot to order spiral wrap.:mad:

How come its the one thing I always forget?:rolleyes:

whats spiral wrap for?

Keeping wires nice and tidy. You wrap it around the wires and it holds them together.

Spiral wrap is like a tube cut in a spiral and you wrap it around cables to tidy them up.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

electrical tape tbh tbh.
    You modding fanboys seem to love spending euros on stuff you could do yourself for next to nothing.
    That was, imho, the ethos of modding I thought?
    Getting extra performance for free?

• Advertisement

kinda like that heat it an it shrinks stuff.... I just been using some cable ties, with those little stickey feet, to keep them bad boys outta harms way :D

Originally posted by SyxPak
    electrical tape tbh tbh.

Been there, done that.

The aul electrical tape looks tacky.
    I've had spiral wrap before and it looks alot better.
    You modding fanboys seem to love spending euros on stuff you could do yourself for next to nothing.

Spiral wrap is quite cheap, less than a fiver for 10m which does nearly a whole pc.

Modding is getting your pc to look like you want.
    Ghetto modding is doing it on the sly.

Thats overclocking ;)

Originally posted by Pimp Ninja
    kinda like that heat it an it shrinks stuff....

Emm heatshrink can be used for that, i use it to join wires mostly
    Originally posted by Pimp Ninja
    I just been using some cable ties, with those little stickey feet, to keep them bad boys outta harms way :D

Did that on my last case and it was ok but then i tried tape and then spiral wrap.

Spiral wrap works the best tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Ghetto modding is one thing, but doesn't mean you have to buy everything pre-made instead.

Why not make a LED fan yourself.

It's like buying a PC pre-modded and pre-overclocked. Takes all the fun out of it.

Which do you think is gonna look nicer through a window, bodged electrical tape or nice neat spiral wrap? And I have tried electical tape (its what the spiral wrap is going to replace), it looks poo. I even tried bloo tape. trust me spiral wrap looks sooo much better.

Originally posted by koneko
    Why not make a LED fan yourself.

Done it.

This is a clear fan.

I would have bought a clear fan if i could find one but i couldnt.

The only reason im getting a precut window is i want a spare case side incase i screw it up doing a custom one in a few weeks time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Gerry

electrical tape tbh tbh.

agreed syxpak. I think most people have lost sight of this. The original aim of modding is to make the pc faster, without splashing out.

For example, why tidy up your cables?

Many people might say " To make the case look neater, especially when I have my neon light on, and all my lan gg m8's are looking at it".

Well, I think thats pretty sad. The only reason I can think of is to improve airflow. You can do a lot with cable routing before even considering wrapping them anyway, a lot of cases will let you bring cables up between panels, or you could route them between drive cages and the side panels, under the motherboard, the list is endless.

Its about using your head to get a faster ( while hopefully reasonably quiet ) pc while spending very little cash.

Flame all ya want, but I'm just not up for this whole window buzz.

Originally posted by Gerry
    agreed syxpak. I think most people have lost sight of this. The original aim of modding is to make the pc faster, without splashing out.

Agreed it was but its evolved to vanity now.

For example, why tidy up your cables?

Many people might say " To make the case look neater, especially when I have my neon light on, and all my lan gg m8's are looking at it".

Yes thats all it is really now, you can still get preformance from vanity sometimes.
    Well, I think thats pretty sad. The only reason I can think of is to improve airflow. You can do a lot with cable routing before even considering wrapping them anyway, a lot of cases will let you bring cables up between panels, or you could route them between drive cages and the side panels, under the motherboard, the list is endless.

Tried it, its harder with the new case.

Its about using your head to get a faster ( while hopefully reasonably quiet ) pc while spending very little cash.

Flame all ya want, but I'm just not up for this whole window buzz.

No point in flaming, its personal preference. But i've tried many ways and this is the best.

Your first point says it all really ppc, "its evolved to vanity now". But at least you can admit that. I'll just add that I don't think that messing with how a pc looks really counts as hardware tweaking, since I would associate hw tweaking with making the thing go faster instead of look faster.

Yes i agree with you again (gawd agreeing with you, what next)
    I always thought there should be a modding board but i was told thats what HWTweaking was for.

Gimme a Modding forum and i'll mod it. But I dont think its going to happen as this board is already here.

Should there be a Modding board then?

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭BabyEater

I couldn't see there being a point to having a modding board as there isn't that much traffic on this board and it deals with HW Tweaking and Modding .Maybe a name change to HW Tweaking/Modding.
    A question then, is putting watercooling into your system HW Tweaking or Modding?

• Advertisement

Originally posted by BabyEater
    I couldn't see there being a point to having a modding board as there isn't that much traffic on this board and it deals with HW Tweaking and Modding .Maybe a name change to HW Tweaking/Modding.
    A question then, is putting watercooling into your system HW Tweaking or Modding?

Thats what i thought.
    There isnt enough traffic for a new board thats why it wont happen.

Changing the name then might do it.

Babyeater, installing watercooling is done to improve performance of your machine, and enables further tweaking of the hardware, so I'd say it belongs under hw tweaking ok. Modding to improve the look of the machine is usually unrelated to performance. I'd say a name change for the forum would be best, to keep the traffic levels high.

I've done the electrical tape job on my cases
    And tbh, they don't look too shabby, they're nice and stiff now too so routing them is easy.
    Spiral wrapping looks completely shíte imho, you can see the grey cable through it.
    Pre-made rounded cables look ok, but they're very bulky looking around the connectors.
    SerialATA sounds lovely from this point of view :)
    I've modded and tweaked my case a bit, nothing too extreme, currently running my P3 800 at 840 (112 x7.5 seems stable, ram at cas3 i think).
    I was considering putting a window in, but unless you plan to put alot of effort into the lighting (so to hide the actual light source) it won't look it's best, and I've got a "all-in-one" steel case cover which puts windows out the..ah...window.
    I don't think modding needs its own forum, performance and cosmetics got on well here, and thanks to yellums posts of couches made from macs and such (Closet sMac-head eh? :)) it is going great.

My post earlier may have had a lick of fire trailing it, but it wasn't intentional :)
    I just don't like seeing rounded cables and stuff being flogged for 2-4times their real worth, especially on sites that portray themselves as overclocking sites.
    I say leave the speed-striped thumbscrews (OMFG! 13% reduction in 5V latency!) to the americans who've got more money then sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

ive seen those round ide cables in maplins and the look ok, they have them in green and yellow.
    They also have cathode`s as well, well at least the blanch branch had them!

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭BabyEater

your links not worken for me SyxPak . I wanna see what it looks like as i was thinking of doing the same as me case is an absolute mess with all the tubes etc.

I'd say a name change for the forum would be best, to keep the traffic levels high.

Agree'd again (something defo wrong here).

Yeah name change maybe.
    Jazz it up a bit, maybe some blackjack and hookers.

link's fixed.

I'd have to agree with pretty much everything said so far. Case modding is all about personal preference. If i can do something for a just a few quid extra but really like how it looks then why shouldnt I? (Rhetorical question so dont flame me)

Name change sounds like an excellent idea. I think this thread has gone a bit off topic as it is so maybe discuss it properly somewhere else?

P.S. Nice paint job.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Rename the board, don't add a modding board, there's no demand for it.

As far as case modding goes, I'm all for it. As long as it's original and interesting. I'm sick of these dime-a-dozen window and cold cathode looks. Sure fair enough do it, but don't post links all over the place like the people on PimpRig do, when your rig is nothing special.

Do it yourself is what I say, don't buy pre-made stuff.

I'm doing some extreme-esque mods to my extra case, but they're more of an arty/aesthetic piece of work than to improve performance. My main rig won't be modded, due to the extreme cooling in it atm (phase change), so it doesn't need any airflow work.

• Advertisement

So quiet you could hear a dustmite breaking wind?

Advertisement