Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Internet connection problems

Options
  • 20-10-2002 6:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭

I had this problem when I was with Eircom now I'm signed up to UTVip and its still here so it doesnt seem to be ISP related.

When I connect to the internet everything is grand then after about 20 minutes to an hour online (quicker when I'm playing games). All the incoming data stops, now the connection doesnt disconnect but I drop from servers or web pages wont load. My connection continues to send data but nothing comes back in. Eventually I have to disconnect, when I press the button it takes about to minutes to disconnect and sometimes it freezes up
    all together.

I've read faq's and asked questions in various forums and people have come back with several answers.

The most popular one is: My cord to connect to the house phone is too long and theres 3 phone connections in the house weakening the signal. When I listen to the line there does seem to be quiet a bit of static in the background.

If thats the case how come everything can work so well only to completely freeze up?

One person suggested I get the gain increased on my line which would strenghten the incoming signal which would make it less likely to degrade. I asked the eircom bloke about this and he fobbed me off with some arse about being lucky I get more than 33.6, then he tried to sell me ADSL.

Any ideas, cause I'm all out?

Does anyone know a number I could ring at eircom to talk to someone who actually has a clue?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭Samba

Hmmm, im not too sure, but in relation to the eircom number yes there is one, but it's a 1550/1530 job(rip off) just to get trough to some woman who is a qualified "internet Technician", who to be quite honest does not have a clue, the only advice I can give you is not to ring that number sorry.

Samba

If you have a pci Modem, try changing slot, its a long shot but could work.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,338 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

Samba, why would he want to phone Eircom net support if it's also happening on UTV?

El_MUERkO, did you try reinstalling stuff? e.g Dial Up Networking (if it's 9x/ME), TCP/IP etc.
    Eventually I have to disconnect, when I press the button it takes about to minutes to disconnect and sometimes it freezes up

That sounds to me like there's something up on the PC.

Frank I have no idea, why don't you ask him yourself

He asked if there was a number, there is a number and I advised him that it wasn't worth ringing so that he didn't waste his time.

This is meant to be "someone who actually has a clue".

He was talking about ringing someone re. the phoneline.
    I don't think he intended ringing a premium rate number for ISP support.

Jesus give it over,

it aint a number for isp support, this is the number eircom will give you if you explain to them you are having trouble with your line NOT isp, sigh.(REGARDLESS OF THE ****ING ISP)

Meurko, did you go messing with any of your dial up adapter properties, or connection properties?, just a thought.

• Advertisement

What is the number, just out of interest?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

sig karma maybe?

M

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭elmer

you could try disconnecting the other phones on the line - sadly when there's noise on a line if you were making a voice call you'd know what was noise and what was speech - but modems aren't very good at doing this and end up waiting for replies that will never arrive.

one other thing which might help if you're on 98 is to reinstall the dial up adapter and tcp/ip - they're located in the networks control panel you just need to click on each and then click remove - ok out and you'll have to reboot - once it comes back up you need to go back into the networks control panel - this time it's add - adapter - add - microsoft and then dial up adapter, that'll probably add tcp/ip aswell, but if it doesn't you just have to follow the same add steps but choose protocol rather than adapter

Advertisement