Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Barthez the cheating swine.

• 21-10-2002 10:52am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭

Or was it gamesmanship?

I don’t know how many of you saw what happened at Loftus road on Saturday but Fabien Barthez was a disgrace (in my opinion).

Fulham were awarded a penalty that could have possibly given them the win, a win they deserved, but Barthez delayed the kick by two minutes walking around the goal cleaning his boots etc. He eventually got booked for his antics but it was enough to put Steed Malbranque off (Malbranque has never missed a spot kick before).

The thing that bugs me most is, after the ref blew his whistle Malbranque could have kicked the ball into the goal while Barthez was at the post cleaning his boots, he didn’t and he waited, which was the sporting thing to do. Had he done so I know every single united fan would be up in arms on this board calling Malbranque a cheat.

If any good comes out of this it should focus the team for Wednesday clash against the Hammers and when we travel to Old Trafford we will have a point to prove.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Fair play to him, it worked, twice so far, will not get away with it.

Few points to note -
    delayed the kick by two minutes walking around the goal

Incorrect, look at the kick again, the ref, as he said in his interview on UTV, that there was messing on the edge of the box so he had to deal with this, during this time Barthez did clean his boots on the left post, then as he was messing at the other post, the ref came back and blew his whistle.
    which was the sporting thing to do. Had he done so I know every single united fan would be up in arms on this board calling Malbranque a cheat.

More like he was not quick enough to realise that he could have scored.

There is only one person here using the word cheat, and no, I would not be calling him a cheat, why would I , it would be Barthezs cock up.
    so I know

Do u know the lotto numbers?? :p
    when we travel to Old Trafford we will have a point to prove.

What point?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭the fnj

What point?

The point that we will want to prove, is we deserved to beat you on Saturday.

We played you off the park, made your world class midfield look a bunch of school boys. Steve Finnan had Ryan Giggs in his pocket for most of the match. Sean Davis and Legwinski stopped Veron and Scholes from forming any sort of threat up the middle. United were out classed by Fulham on Saturday it's that simple.

Ok your right there was trouble outside the box and that was being caused by Gary Neville. So that’s two of your players who were in the wrong.

You've tried to claim that Barthez was not cheating if that is the case then why was he booked? He was obviously doing something wrong if the refs opinion.

I didn’t see the game I had to listen in but Barthez was having a great game from what I’ve heard and read. It’s just a pity that united had to earn their draw by resorting to that sort of carry on.

In the words of Kevin Keegan "I'd just love it if we beat them" in Old Trafford next year.

This weeks winning Lotto number will be 7. :p

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

R u sure it is 7!! :D give me another 6!!

caused by Gary Neville

Where did u hear this?? On the radio was it??

I honestly would not agree that ye deserved to beat us, but then again 2 opposite fans!!!

Just read the match report!

"First Gary Neville and Brevett had a shoving match and then Barthez was booked for time-wasting as he stood by his post."

So then your player was also the cause of Malb missing his penalty ! .:p

why was he booked?

For time wasting not cheating. He did not cheat, if I thought he did then I would say it. The only thing he wrong was not to go to the center of the goal when the ref blew his whistle. Malb was not fast enough in the ceann to put the ball in the net.

What happened before the whistle was blown was irrelavant, if he had stood in the middle of the goal during the messing on the edge of the box then there would not have been a problem.

So that’s two of your players who were in the wrong.

How do u figure this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭jonno

Yop you're clutching at the straws of semantics.

"Time wasting isn't cheating" - - - - Ya but time wasting is against the rules, other wise he wouldn't have been booked.

One of the meanings of cheat is "To violate rules deliberately".

He did break the rules by time wasting so therefore he cheated.

On the point that the penalty could have been taken after the whistle was blown - it probably could have been taken, but it would have been called back, because the goalkeeper must not move off his line until the ball is kicked. Another rule that Barthez was breaking - therefore cheating.

Stop clutching at straws and admit that ye were played off the park totally by Fulham. They deserved the win.

As for Solksjaers goal, it's a pity he had to push the defender out of the way to get the ball. It should have been a free kick. Its probably why Fulham got the penalty, because the foul in the box wasnt much TBH.

PS - I don't support Fullham.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,064 ✭✭✭BKtje

errr i dont think we were played off the park.

I only saw what was on The Premiership(s) but what i saw was some good chances for both sides. A dodgy penalty decesion, a possible push from solskjaer for Man u's goal. 2 handballs from Alain Goma should also have been penalties.

Also according to the independant Malbranque didn't take the penalty when the whistle blew cos of sportmanship.
    Wether or not Barthez is a cheat doesnt really matter. He did what he did which was just as bad probably as a mis timed tackle or last ditch lunge which got a player booked. We dont go screaming every time that happens that the player is a cheat.

True it put the penalty taker off but a lot of keepers do it now and then to put players off. Malbranque shoulda just put the ball in the back of the net and then Barthez woulda looked like a fool.

• Advertisement

ye were played off the park totally

says the scouser!!! hilarious!! Leeds whipped ye, ye got a poxy goal. So don't talk rubbish.
    On the point that the penalty could have been taken after the whistle was blown - it probably could have been taken, but it would have been called back, because the goalkeeper must not move off his line until the ball is kicked

Doh, did you read the refs report... obviously not, but he said that if Malb had taken the penalty, he probably would have called it back, but it should have counted.
    he had to push the defender out of the way

Delirious mate, god bless u

He did push the defender,

Yop have you read any match report of this game other that what's up on manutd.com?

Almost every paper I've read has condemned Barthez and most of them mentioned the push.

I'm not an abu by any stretch of the imagination but I'm just annoyed at the way Barthez carried on had we won Saturday and again on Wednesday it would have put us third in the premiership, now we will only go third on goal difference (assuming we win).

I find it interesting that Alex Fergusson refused to defend what Barthez had done. Instead he dodged the question by claiming it was not a penalty.

You may not have seen UTV match replay fair enough Ferguson did comment saying it was experience, I am sure u were pissed off with what Barthez done, as I said 2 different views!!! We will agree to disagree!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭jonno

Typical Utd supporter. God help us all.

Ye will only ever see the good in your beloved players.

I agree Leeds were unlucky not to get a draw but a win is a win. Don't torture yourself over it too much Yop.

We always have to agree to disagree with Utd supporters because they don't see any wrong in the team.

Unlucky not to win more like, I think ye had 2 chances and they had about 6.
    We always have to agree to disagree with Utd supporters because they don't see any wrong in the team

True mate, now don't forget to ask ur mother to tuc u in nicely,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 857 ✭✭✭kamobe

Barthez the cheating swine.

Just taking a leaf out of Bruce Grobbelaar's book :D
    He was the true master at putting people off :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Goddamn yop, you aren't making any friends today are you.

Agreed, the penalty was a harsh one but Solskjaer probably shouldn't have gotten away with the push before his goal either.

Barthez was cheating, no doubt about it and if the penalty had been taken then it would have been disallowed and retaken, there is a precedent for this. Google it and you shall find.

Bruce was the man for putting peeps off for penalties, anyone remember Rome in '84 :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭Littletinyman

Wow yop, you're certainly an intelligent, open-minded individual! I'm a United fan, and from what I saw Fulham deserved to win that match. As for the Barthez thing, fair play... I guess it's not exactly sportsmanlike, but if you can get away with it then why not :P

Goddamn yop, you aren't making any friends today are you.

Have u looked outside!!! It fukn pissing it down :D

Agreed, the penalty was a harsh one but Solskjaer probably shouldn't have gotten away with the push before his goal either.

Believe it or not I did think it was a penalty, and no not cause u said it was not!! fuc it I am sick of defenders getting away with obstructing players and getting away with it, I was delighted larry white was at the root of it anyway, he is an awful prat.

I was suprised he got away with it alright, tbh I thought I heard a whistle as he shot, but cracking finish anyway.

Barthez was cheating, no doubt about it and if the penalty had been taken then it would have been disallowed and retaken

He is going to get caught yet the fool. But they interviewed the ref there on UTV and he said he would have called it back alright but that in thinking back he probably should have let it stand (if it happened.)
    It will happen to him yet, I guarantee it..

Originally posted by yop
    Have u looked outside!!! It fukn pissing it down :D

... so ya thought you'd come on here and p*ss some people off, good plan... ;)

... so ya thought you'd come on here and p*ss some people off, good plan...

So why u pissed off!!! ....

LittleTinyMan - We had 2 good chances with Scholes and Solskjaer so I think we deserved a draw. Also we had one penalty shout turned down, the 2nd was shout not a penalty, also Sols was threw on goal when he was called offside when he was definately onside.

They had 3 good chances as well but overall we were worthy of a draw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Originally posted by kamobe
    Just taking a leaf out of Bruce Grobbelaar's book :D
    He was the true master at putting people off :)

He he! Exactly what I said when I saw the incident!

Remember his drunken walk? Was that 84?

Mike.

Never argue with idiots, they'll just drag you down to their level, and then beat you by experience.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Its actually funny to hear yop say "we" all the time.

Are you Giggs or Beckham in disguise with nothing better to do?
    Go on tell us who you are.
    Im quite excited we are sharing a board with a MAN U player even though i dont support them,but a Pro soccer player here WOW !

Its actually funny to hear yop say "we" all the time.
    Are you Giggs or Beckham in disguise with nothing better to do?
    Go on tell us who you are.
    Im quite excited we are sharing a board with a MAN U player even though i dont support them,but a Pro soccer player here WOW !

Twat :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

'Tis funny, alot of people here have been saying the same of you ;)

I know, did not sleep a wink last nite thinking about it.

Still after watching Sky One last nite and seening a pack of muppets wearing white suits turning up at an FA Cup final..

Actually after watching some poor WBA player score one of the worst own goals I have seen and some Espanyol player scoring a cracker from the half way line then I slept easily.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭johnnynolegs

i like ur signature Yop

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭Waylander

Did not see what happened but I do not see what all the fuss is about. He is hardly the first player or goalkeeper to try a few mind games before someone takes a peno. Without think about it I can think of the afore mentioned Bruce Grobellar in Rome and Alan Shearer trying to put Matt le Tissier off. It is commonplace in the game.

Cheers Johnny - ripped off the Royal Family

Waylander- I know and you know that, BUT of course he plays for United and small minds get very orgasmic when something happens involving a Utd player.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭johnnynolegs

plus Yop fair play to Barthez for bringing a bit of colour to the game aswell...........

i don't think he was cheating at all i think the ref got it worng............

LOL :D You langer Johhny!! Won't go that far but it did cause some discussion

Twat

Thanks for that , did my post really deserve a resorting to name-calling?

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Originally posted by Dcully
    Thanks for that , did my post really deserve a resorting to name-calling?
    Yes, because in every United thread I've read so far you've been sniffing about leaving your anti-United shíte all over this board. So yes you are a twat.

• Advertisement

Hmmm ! more childish name calling.
    Ever hear of friendly banter?
    After all we all love the great game the only divide is the teams we follow.
    Anti -United?
    For starters i dont support them but do admire them and their achievements,they are the standard for rest of Premiership to follow.
    Secondly i give credit where its due and i criticise where its due,isnt that what this board is about?[only my opinions]

If i said anything negative about Man UTD its my honest opinion just like i congralated them when they won the treble,like i said credit where its due.
    I am not anti -united as you put it but its obvious you cant take any negative talk of your beloved team.
    I suppose Man u fans are not used to bad things being said about their team since they have won so much .
    They may harden up and take it on the chin like us Liverpool fans have for 10 years now god bless us :)
    Lighten up guys ! lifes too short! No need for name calling in fairness!

I suppose Man u fans are not used to bad things being said about their team since they have won so much .

would you plz stop generalising all man u fans?
    That kinda thing really pisses me off.
    We support the same team so all our views must be identical...

kthxbye

Ok then i mean some Man u fans :)

ty :x

Advertisement