Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chickens coming home to roost !

Options
  • 21-10-2002 12:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭

Well it looks like its started.

McGreedy looks like he's introducing new taxes in the next budget. I think the fuel one is particularly henious given the people directly effected will be the old.

As for the Parking Tax well its just the motorists of the country being shafted again. If there was a viable public transport option I wouldn't mind as much.

Well Cork lets see you defend Fianna Failure now.

Gandalf.

Article quoted below
    Budget could bring shock new taxes

10:18 Monday October 21st 2002

There are reports today that Finance Minister, Charlie McCreevy, is planning to introduce a tax on 'free car parking spaces' - which could be treated as 'benefit in kind'. Other budget shockers believed to be planned by the Minister include a tax on coal, gas and central heating oil. With a major question mark hanging over the state of the nation's finances, Minister McCreevy is reportedly hoping to reel in over 200 million Euro, by taxing parking spaces. And he's hoping other taxes on fuel will net an extra 100 million Euro. Old reliables like alcohol and cigarettes will also feature large in McCreevy's tax package. The Tax Strategy Group, which advises McCreevy, is currently reviewing a range of options in relation to increased taxation in the run up to the Budget.

http://www.unison.ie/stories.php3?ca=9&si=25554&breakingnews=1

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭The Saint

Why dont they tax rich, dumbass, incompetent ministers instead of taxing things that will affect everyone? I reckon he should be publically disemboweled on O'Connell st. I wonder are Charlie and Bertie getting a pay rise this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Minister McCreevy is reportedly hoping to reel in over 200 million Euro, by taxing parking spaces. And he's hoping other taxes on fuel will net an extra 100 million Euro.

He'll be committing political suicide. People already pay far too much to run a vehicle in this country. This one will break the camel's back. IMO, no motorist in the country will stand for this. They'd save more money by reducing tax credits - I'd have no problem with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,333 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

Originally posted by The Saint
    I wonder are Charlie and Bertie getting a pay rise this year?

They did a couple of weeks back, it was around 4% as far as I can remember.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭bertiebowl

McCreepy is the worst most incompetent minister we've ever had (apart from Bertie of course).

Now we should all see the sense of the EU reprimand last year of McCreepies moronic policies of carpet bombing the economy with money during the boom times (1999/2000) with the consequence that he has to slash and burn the hospitals/sick etc. etc. during a mild downturn.

The SSIA scheme has to be the all time worst - ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭The Saint

I wonder if people make enough noise can Mc Creevy be forced to resign? I'm not happy about having to wait for the next election to be rid of the dimwit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Originally posted by bertiebowl
    The SSIA scheme has to be the all time worst - ever.

The big feck up of the SSIA scheme was the 'free money' idea of it. It was unregulated. Technically, only one SSIA could be open by each person, but that doesn't stop people opening them in their kid's/granny's/brother's names. For example, my gf's parent's opened one each, depositing the max amount each month. They then opened a similar one, depositing the max amount there too. The deal is, when it's all over, she takes the extra E1 for every 4 and half of the interest earned. The idea is to get people to save their money, but what they've done (and many many others did) is create money for my gf, not encourage saving. It should have been much heavier regulated, ie statement of income, etc. "You're not working? Then how the hell are you giving us E250/month?".

Advertisement