Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The UCD computer network...WTF???

Options
  • 21-10-2002 2:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭

Anyone care to speculate as to WTF has been going on for about a month now. Its taking up 1 hour to login and then it wont load the H: drive or Apps server.

The computing services crowd (as usual) are jam packed full of info on the whole thing.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

It's all over the place? Ahh we thought it was just our lab, cos we're playing CS and Mohaa all the time and jamming up our network :D

Not affecting me now cos we got our linux logins today, so I'm zipping along, unhindered by Windoze or Novell badness :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭b20uvkft6m5xwg

No its everywhere Seamus.

The feckin thing is collapsing further every single day-
    I heard there was a virus with the printing service but its a feckin disgrace-

Roebuck Castle was always relaible and super fast but its gone to the dogs as of recent- as has every other lab on the campus for some reason.

Other horror strories welcomed

--
    BTW, What is it like for other 3rd level Instit. on HEANET- do you guys have probs simialr to UCD??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

In DCU from what I can make out, every single computer in the library is "low on virtual memory" so if you actually get to login it usually crashes if you try running application.
    Thank god I got my login for the CA building, no more crappy library computers to worry about.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Tallaght has gotten REALLY slow, and we dont even have our logins yet! They took on too many students this year, and they're all using everyone of the computers everyday. You'd get like 2k/s! browsing websites!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭Ruaidhri

dunno about you but the network in carlow IT is gone to s***. bandwidth is being hogged somewhere and it is taking about 200-400% longer to log in this year.
    technically there should be no problem as we are running a gigabit as the back bone and 100mbps switched for each floor.

although i suspect that the login server is being ass-raped....

although saying that the computer services dept had 10(yes 10)wireless network cards(pcmcia) for laptops...now all i have to do is wait for my one to arrive and no more crap comps for me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭Mr.Applepie

Originally posted by Makaveli
    In DCU from what I can make out, every single computer in the library is "low on virtual memory" so if you actually get to login it usually crashes if you try running application.
    Thank god I got my login for the CA building, no more crappy library computers to worry about.
    Ah they aint that bad. They're a little slow but the server is very stable. There was very few problems(if any) last year.

Got some nice new Dells in the business school! Talk about fast mmmmmmmmmmmm

/me goes off to drool in private

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

UCD computing services:
    Virus Update

Computing Services is continuing it's clean up after the effects of the Bugbear virus. Currently, you may be experiencing slow login times and general slowness on using software from the network (NAL). Computing Services are fully aware of these problems and are working to have all services back to normal as soon as possible.

Ironically Kaids they been reiterating the same thing since August but still no bloody change- and its so frustrating because its in your face every time you log on- www.ucd.ie/computing is the default homepage:mad:

Granted there they did have to deal with the bugbear virus last week.

I blame eircom :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Beastie

The slowness of the network is just those computing services **** trying to get things fixed after the virus, some of the labs are alrite now physics and the 2nd comp sci labs are workin ok just a litle slow, which is a rite pain cos i dont have me physics done and i was gonna blame the puters :(

Originally posted by seamus
    I blame eircom :p

naturally :)

--

heres the latest from http://www.ucd.ie/computing....
    Service Announcement

Computing Services are aware that both staff and students are experiencing serious difficulties due to ongoing disruption of network login and application services. Computing Services are working to rectify these problems as soon as possible. The following is a list of services and the status of each one:

Service Status
    E-mail Currently experiencing no problems
    Internet Access Currently experiencing no problems
    Login to network Experiencing problems with slow login times
    Launching Network Applications (NAL) Experiencing problems with slow launch times of network applications
    Staff Printing Generally returning to normal after the Bugbear virus but there still maybe some isolated cases of the virus on staff machines that could be causing some printing problems
    Student Printing Generally returning to normal with all Computing Services student labs. Free from the virus Bugbear
    On-Line Classes Experiencing problems with slow login times
    E-Learning (Blackboard) Currently experiencing no problems
    Portal (UCD Connect) Currently experiencing no problems
    Other web services Currently experiencing no problems

That's all those Arts students. "Oh, I got an attachment, with this email that makes no sense to me.....I bet it's funny. Let's see.....'ImABigDirtyVirus.xls.scr' (click click)" (Pause) "Someone's after breaking my computer!"

:p

Originally posted by seamus
    That's all those Arts students. "Oh, I got an attachment, with this email that makes no sense to me.....I bet it's funny. Let's see.....'ImABigDirtyVirus.xls.scr' (click click)" (Pause) "Someone's after breaking my computer!"

:p

Screw you! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭beardedchicken

OI! ITSN OT JUTS ARTS STUDDNTS! I TAEK OFFENS TO THAT!!!!
    DNSKVNDKVDI CSICLZHDSIN VSILCVNKNC !! YEAH!!

ooooooohhhhhh....

Touché :p

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭DannyD

If you are still experiencing difficulties with Network login and/or network applications (NAL) on Tuesday 29th October, the following contingencies will be in place.
    Service and Access
    Staff
    * If you can login to the network but are experiencing problems launching NAL, where possible use local applications, see below or go to START, RUN, type
    Y:\ Shortcuts. This will launch a folder with MS Office, Pegasus Mail and other popular applications - this will only work if you have already run this application before on your machine through NAL
    * If you are having problems logging in, or cannot login at all to the network, use local applications such as MS Office and Outlook (E-mail client), which are available on CD (copies were sent to all UCD staff with our last Newsletter). Please contact ext. 2360 if you require a copy.
    * Internet services, E-mail, E-learning (Blackboard), UCD Connect (Portal), On-Line Classes (AUC) can all be accessed through direct login to each service.
    * To run a local e-mail client on your PC, the Pegasus mail client can be downloaded from our website - www.ucd.ie/computing

Students
    * Students should login but need not wait for NAL to launch
    * MS-Office, Internet Explorer are available directly from the Start menu on Computing Services student laboratory PCs. Pegasus mail and other popular applications will be available from next Tuesday 29th
    * Use these local installations for Internet access, e-mail, E-Learning (Blackboard), UCD Connect (Portal) On-Line Classes (AUC) and other popular applications
    * For other applications NAL is still required
    Service Preferred Access Method
    E-mail Access via local email client or shortcut
    Internet Access Access via local Web Browser
    Login to network Staff - please see above. Students - continue to login
    Launching Network Applications (NAL) Avoid launching NAL where possible
    Staff - Go to Start , Run, type Y: \Shortcuts
    Staff Printing Print locally
    Student Printing Login and use GPAS printing
    On-Line Classes (AUC) Start from local Web Browser
    E-Learning (Blackboard) Start from local Web Browser
    UCD Connect (Portal) Start from local Web Browser

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Originally posted by Mr.Applepie
    Ah they aint that bad. They're a little slow but the server is very stable. There was very few problems(if any) last year.

Got some nice new Dells in the business school! Talk about fast mmmmmmmmmmmm

/me goes off to drool in private

The library computers are crap.
    Actually last year I was the one person to get stung with a crap computer in the lab, it was lagged all the time and eventually stopped working, so I had to wander around the lab looking for a free computer.
    No new computers from what I can see in computer applications.

All seems to be back to its normal/mediocre self as I write.

Call off the hounds (for the minute at least) :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 402 ✭✭Man U babe

Well, there was one advantage to all this network crap-1st CS labs cancelled last week! (me hates cs............).
    Another crash roundabout 4pm thurs would be nice.....
    BTW anyone going to Tommy Tiernan tues nite?

• Advertisement

Fup sake, half the websites i try and access won't load now :(

Can't get on IRC either.

grrrr

Yeah, windoze machines are having trouble today.........If you've ever been able to get on IRC from UCD....tell us!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭rob1891

Can you little bastards not get on to netsoc, eeep, if that's the case the place has really gone to ****!

telnet orca.ucd.ie, and use the menu system.... "More Internet services" > "Internet Relay Chat client".

I doubt it's the prettiest, but should do you for your hit.

Outbound connections are definitly working from the netsoc machines. Don't know if their proxy stuff is up and running, it usually is .... you should be able to configure your favourite app with the http proxy:

proxy.netsoc.ucd.ie:3128

Of course how many of you signed up for netsoc, thought you could rely on UCD to provide you with a reliable internet service did you, muuwwwhahhahahahah!

<netsoc's revenge>

rob

;)

First time to log onto today and its slooooowwww

BTW, Kaids ( I echo Seamus's query )
    How are you getting onto IRC.

I've tried various methods w/ http2socks etc but still no luck :(

Do fill us in :)

And seamus has IRC in UCD. W00t!

/me does super happy fun dance

just follow rob's directions. Convince a friend to let you use their netsoc login......

Ackkk i dont think I know anyone in NetSoc anymore.
    Not since they allowed unfettered Net Access for everyone have I bothered with Netsoc. I was a member for years 1-3 (98-2001) and then didnt bother last year or this.

In some ways I know if I could get onto IRC i prolly would never get off it!! I'd be far more interested in getting Kazaa working.

Does anyone know any good mp3 Websites for http downloads??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭Gerry

My god all these other college it departments actually make maynooth look half decent. Never have a problem logging in, and the network seems to run smoothly all the time. ( And I have a fast pc all to myself in here with no firewall :) )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Typedef

I have never seen the UCD network, but I can say with some certainty that whatever the problem is, it's a Windows issue.

http://www.http-tunnel.com

Its shit slow, but it usually does the job for IRC. If a bit laggily.

Very easy to setup, even i can get it going and i'm retarded when it comes to these sort of things. I used to IRC with telnet via netsoc in 1st year, but the client was a pain in the ass. I'd take a slow mIRC over that any day

Couldn't be bothered joining netsoc this year, waste of money.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Typedef
    I have never seen the UCD network, but I can say with some certainty that whatever the problem is, it's a Windows issue.

Indeed. The bulk of the network sits on Novell Servers...........Of course here in CS we have unix systems that will take over when the badness comes :D

Advertisement