Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The UCD computer network...WTF???

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by 80project
    BTW, What is it like for other 3rd level Instit. on HEANET- do you guys have probs simialr to UCD??

UL is, well, fine (surprisingly)

Net access is just fine if you're browsing, though if you're downloading it depends on what time of the week it is (FTP sites are slower during the week, grabbing an obscure file from Microsoft (presumably not cached anywhere so good as a test) is very fast all the time)

The only bad things about PCs in UL are the long queues (solution: log on to a linux box in the CS building) and the terrible* P120s they still have on offer in the library (running win2ksp2 no less - and on just 48megs of RAM too)

CS building is nicely ring-fenced from lesser mortals. Not necessarily the fastest machines but everything always works. They pretty much log keystrokes though (not kidding) so I wouldn't even dream of doing anything odd there. Or even anything at all really - hard to type when a bogeyman may be watching over your shoulder.

*I know they're terrible because I put through the purchase order for them from accounts in 1997. Back in my co-op accounting days. It was either that or try to run NT4 on 8 megs of RAM (for some reason the IT department thought that just might work:D)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭b20uvkft6m5xwg

Originally posted by kaids
    http://www.http-tunnel.com

Thx for that Kaids-

I tried it on Friday night and yesterday (Sunday...yes) w/ Lazaa-Lite. It was painfully slow but I got a few mp3's d/l in about the same time as dial-up-
    It all depends on the time of day and what else your doing. I was writing stuff in word so I wasnt surfing the net at the same time and obviosuly the network traffic was minmal yesterday. (I was in the Stats Lab- 5th floor library)

Heres 2 pics to prove...

no 2...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 735 ✭✭✭beardedchicken

oh this is getting ridiculous!!!!!! yesterday all the pcs on the 4th floor of the library weren't working, and now onlineclasses isn't working anywhere either!! aagh!!

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

yep, http-tunnel is very slow, but it USUALLY does for mirc. the subscription service looks a lot faster, cant be arsed paying for it tho. At quiet times the subscription service speed test has come out as high as 162kb/s for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭santalives

I am not sure if this will work, use to work when i was in UCD 2 years ago, if you have a netsoc account you can usually use their socks server to get around stuff like the main UCD proxy. however as most people in UCD do not see the point of netsoc untill you run into a problem like this you probably are not a member

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

And again, it's gone bye bye......No NAL, Slow logins.....Hello linux :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭adnans

Originally posted by Giblet
    Tallaght has gotten REALLY slow, and we dont even have our logins yet! They took on too many students this year, and they're all using everyone of the computers everyday. You'd get like 2k/s! browsing websites!
    same with DLIADT. i think we piggyback our bandwidth through tallaght IT. downloads used to be 300k/sec, now youre lucky if you get 10k/sec. :(

adnans

Now and again this thread resurrects itself
    and once again I'm forced to ask the Q....

The UCD computer network...WTF???

Its been down all day until Now :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

It's a total and utter joke.... Printing seems to be like playing roulette :(

Solution: Switch ALL the desktops to linux, get rid of NetWare and use ordinary Network File System (NFS) ...... imagine what computing services could do with all the licensing money they're paying to Microsoft - we'd nearly have a network server each to ourselves :D

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Yep FS, have an assignment due on thurs morning, it better fuppin be working tommorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭MagicBusDriver

Originally posted by Red Alert
    It's a total and utter joke.... Printing seems to be like playing roulette :(

Solution: Switch ALL the desktops to linux, get rid of NetWare and use ordinary Network File System (NFS) ...... imagine what computing services could do with all the licensing money they're paying to Microsoft - we'd nearly have a network server each to ourselves :D

The network problems have nothing to do with Windows. It is down to incompetent Computer services. They have great difficulty dealing with simple problems. Also viruses can cause huge problems on a large network.

Linux would be a joke on the desktop. Linux is not free, The cost of linux techies is far higher than what UCD pay for licensing. If you love Linus so much why don't you use it yourself on the desktop?

Let's get a fact straight - i do use Linux on the desktop :)

Originally posted by MagicBusDriver
    The network problems have nothing to do with Windows. It is down to incompetent Computer services. They have great difficulty dealing with simple problems. Also viruses can cause huge problems on a large network.

Linux would be a joke on the desktop. Linux is not free, The cost of linux techies is far higher than what UCD pay for licensing. If you love Linus so much why don't you use it yourself on the desktop?

Linux is completely free, and if the techs are even slightly competent, simple problem solving isn't a problem. LInux dual boots with Win2K on every comp in the CS building. When windows dies, I switch to Linux and suddenly everything works again.

/me points finger at Novell/Microsoft badness

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,031 ✭✭✭✭Stark

ucc network is f*cked as well, and we run mixture of windows and linux. Big problem is these labs in the chemistry department. Open shares with Unreal tournament installed on them. Students in every department in the college are playing the game straight off the network shares. Stupid chemistry admins won't take it off the machines.

It's a weird situation where outside access is fine but internal access is fubarred.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭Molly

Unreal tournament was deleted but was put back on yesterday (not too sure if it was yesterday). I'm quite oblivious as to what part of the ucc network is fucked so it would be nice if you could enlighten me.

Seamus, how do you access your NetWare share files under LInux?

Why don't they add Linux to the multi-boot menus that appear in all the computer labs?

Is it a case that Computing Services are either incompetent or are on the receiving end of goodies from Micro$oft in return for bolstering their monopoly in UCD!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

It's terrible up in the Eng 321 computer lab - they're always playing multiplayer versions of i don't know what but it sure as hell slows the network down for everyone. :(

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Red Alert
    Seamus, how do you access your NetWare share files under LInux?

Why don't they add Linux to the multi-boot menus that appear in all the computer labs?

Is it a case that Computing Services are either incompetent or are on the receiving end of goodies from Micro$oft in return for bolstering their monopoly in UCD!

I don't access my NetWare files at all. I've never tried....

I don't store anything critical in there. I use Linux mainly for web surfing, email and C programming. Unfortunately any other apps I need I have to use Windows.....

Either computing services don't hold as much sway in the CS building, or they have a dedicated staff for here. Linux is installed in here mainly because we need to use it in our courses. :)

It would be nice to see Linux on every comp, but most non-technical students would be screwed if they were forced to use it, or they would wreck it if they started it up 'to have a look'.

BTW, there's more "definite" downtime planned for early March...YIPPEE :rolleyes:

http://www.ucd.ie/computing/support/downtimes.html

Theres relocations going on or sommit !?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 402 ✭✭Man U babe

Last weekend, there were 21 of us doing the MCM/ICM in UCD, think of how shafted we all were when the networks went south on our computer-heavy projects on both sat and sun....
    F-U-C-K-_-C-O-M-P-U-T-E-R-_-S-E-R-V-I-C-E-S-!

Well i'm not so sure... the newer versions of Linux like RedHat8 don't really show very much of the UNIX-like stuff at all. It's more a case of everyone being used to Windows already so there's no real incentive to change (if constant system crashes turn you on :D )

Originally posted by 80project
    BTW, there's more "definite" downtime planned for early March...YIPPEE :rolleyes:

http://www.ucd.ie/computing/support/downtimes.html

Theres relocations going on or sommit !?

May I direct your attention towards http://www.ucd.ie/computing/strategic.html

2003 is earmarked to be a year of hell for us compuphiles :(

Originally posted by seamus
    May I direct your attention towards http://www.ucd.ie/computing/strategic.html

2003 is earmarked to be a year of hell for us compuphiles :(

I'd rather have lived in ignorance to that...You're upsetting me :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,150 ✭✭✭oneweb

Bloody place allocating one room of bloody 25 computers, of which only 20 sometimes work, for a class of double the size. (It's the ONLY BLOODY ROOM in which the computers have all required apps installed for the course. This despite the fact that there are around 20 fantastic, brand spanking new labs in the new extension) :rolleyes:

Anyway, in this room, we're recording a log of network downtime. It'd be bloody easier to record uptime ffs. If it goes down, that's it for the night. Sometimes up to four 'admins' come in and just look at a computer (I got the distinct impression from the look on their faces that they're thinkin 'they're right, it IS down' and not having the faintest idea what to do or where to start). Head of course "will look into it". Been doin' that the last three years at least - some things never change :(

Sure who needs a reliable network for the final year of a degree course and project and assignments that go with it?

BAH!

Anyway, at least we're not alone :

It is what it's.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,851 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael Collins

On a somewhat related note: Does anybody know how to get Kazaa to work in UCD? Yes, I have a netsoc account and I've tried varies ways of gettings it to work but to no avail. So if somebody knows please PM me or reply or something. If you can tell me how to get it working, I'll buy you a pint ;)

NetSoc use the Squid proxy server program. As far as i'm aware this does not support SOCKS proxy functions which i think you'll need for Kaaza.

Mail the admin and ask just to be sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

haha some of the machines in eng 321 have linux on them. Never went to UCD, still played qw on those machines though.

Down the back on the left hand side is great.

DCU's library pc's are a joke. 5 minutes to log in, full of ****e. Ridiculous, they have the software to re-image regularly, why don't they is beyond me..

CA labs are nice and quiet this semester, lg27-28 are grand. All the schmucks stay up in l125.

Mind you, must get myself a l114 pc for fy project.

Gav

Advertisement