Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New EsatBT Ads

• 21-10-2002 3:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭

getting a bit cluttered up there?

:)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

"The only good clutter in this world is paid for clutter"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,626 ✭✭✭smoke.me.a.kipper

nice to see more and more people pimpin their warez here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Muck, as much as you hate some of the above, just remember that they're helping to fund the outlet for your hate ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Interesting concept, they are paying to be abused!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

....I didnt b33Tch about it, as far as I am concerned the only good pimper is a banner pimper.

M

• Advertisement
  • Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Yup. We'd have had a Panasonic ad (the most anyone has paid us for an ad!) there too but they were insistant that it be one of those "take over the page" flash ads... so we told them to fnck off. Hate those things.

Anyway, yeah, it seems a lot of people want to advertise here and so long as they dont pop up , under, on-top-of or in fact pop at all. They can stay in their 468x60 designated area and we'll choose if we want to get their info.

mmmm I'm feeling all anarchic today :)

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭b20uvkft6m5xwg

OOOh EsatBT Net smart ad- not bad :)

Hope you've laid down the law with them regarding transparent HTML overlay with their Flash Adverts-

Just in case you have to open up a can of woopass like with errorcom :D

Originally posted by DeVore
    , yeah, it seems a lot of people want to advertise here and

It's about frickin time.....
    Members: 10,257, Threads: 63,490, Posts: 589,373

Boards.ie: Entertaining 0.33% of Ireland's adult population...

:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

Originally posted by seamus
    someone refered to me as an adult :')

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

People have wanted to advertise here for some time now but they want to put on Popups and those icky ads that take over a load of the screen or animate in the middle of the content.

We're slowly beating them round to the idea that they can have the 468x60 ad top right and thats it.

Lets see how this all goes.

Btw, we put the RAM Eircom's ad paid for in the new machine and it has nearly 2Gigs of RAM now!

DeV.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭b20uvkft6m5xwg

Thats very much one of the pros of having a little advertising intrusion... Boards.ie self sustainabilty :)

--
    One thing I just noticed is the URL target for the new ad is "_parent". Which is a bit naughty cos it actually takes you away from boards.ie :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭LoBo

good stuff DeV - keep the ads discreet and we'll continue browsing while being subliminally affected.

Allow evil expanding ads and/or popups and we'll revolt and er... stop paying our boards.ie subscription fees :eek:

Nice to have a great website that doesn't sell out to its advertisers and allow them to ruin web content with intrusiveness. Keep it up.

thats class! gooooooe boards loike!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

Erk? Evil how?

If there is something cookiefied about this ad, let me know and I'll see what I can do about it...

DeV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Coyote

Don’t quote me on this.
    but as far as i know Doubleclick use a system to track
    Ever site your at with there adds, too build up a a profile
    of what you read and what adds would work best.
    you can opt out at there web site.
    PS:not sure if they dropped it as the adds cost 4 times as much as normal adds.

Coyote

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭oneweb

Check out...
    http://zdnet.com.com/2100-11-501839.html?legacy=zdnn

and
    http://news.com.com/2100-1023-230067.html?legacy=cnet

Then read through http://www.smartin-designs.com/, which will tell you how to stop wasting bandwidth downloading those pesky ads, and stop most cases of surf profiling!

(Don't worry, boards ads still work :))

It is what it's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Those pop up ads that take over your browser or insert those really crappy ads with sounds in the middle of the screen, are a sure fire way of getting all boards.ie users to start using anti ad sofware :)

I do wish ad exec's would cop onto the fact that most web surfers are alot smarter than them.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I gota recommend using Pheonix as a browser, stops most pop-up adverts by default and can block graphics to :D
    www.mozilla.org

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Originally posted by azezil
    someone refered to me as an adult :')

Ohhh crap, the worlds going to end

actually, who ever said U were a adult??? :P

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Cabaal
    I gota recommend using Pheonix as a browser, stops most pop-up adverts by default and can block graphics to :D
    www.mozilla.org

I like things that kill popups personally but remember one thing:

Boards.ie cant survive indefintely without some form of cash income. It doesnt need much because the Admins and mods give their time for free but hosting companies and RAM and upgrades cost cash.

They dont accept the free exchange of ideas as currency.

So, while turning off popups etc is good, blocking our ads reduces our ability to survive in the long term.

IMHO, its about sustainability and balance (like so many things).
    If they dont get in our way we'll accept subtle , quiet ads. If we put tons of them on the site, you'll all leave (duh!) and if we dont put them on then the site collapses under its own growth.

If you look waaaaay back (about 3 years I think!) I wrote a plan for Boards which basically outlined where we are now. Sustainable community that owes nothing to corporate overlords and which is ITSELF its own fuel for continued existance.

Myself and Regi have been talking about the future of Boards.ie over pints recently and we've some ideas. Basically, we're on the verge of achieving my objective from 4 years ago.... so now we need a new direction and objective... what that is I dunno exactly. We'll decide it as we decide so much else here... with input and ultimately with our mates in mind :)

DeV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Coyote

New gold for the next 4 years
    1. turn regi/devore/cloud in to living gods
    2. bring about the down fall of a government through boards.ie telling the people the truth
    3. start a mob to burn down all telecom companies HQ down if they do not bring down net access
    4. spend the 100’s millions of € boards.ie made with sublimely adds
    5. make Coyote mod of Travel board ;)

Coyote

Devore you'll notice I did'ent mention anything against boards.ie

I'm talking about sites in general were pop-up adverts are just a joke.

I understand about running a site from adverts, helll I used to..... and it failed because people were selfish feckers!!!!
    They wanted the site but they couldn't be arsed to click on the adverts

And because of that I closed the site and they were pissed, but they had there chance and they did'ent do anything so I knew it was not my fault.

So personally I do actually click on the adverts here every so often because I know how feckin annoying it can be!.
    so there :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Are you paid per adview/adclick or is it a one off payment for a certain amount of time?

If it's per click, I'll click 'em every so often.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

When I was loading up on this page there was a netsmart banner on it...and it there was something coming from ads.doubleclick.net :/

Originally posted by DeVore
    So, while turning off popups etc is good, blocking our ads reduces our ability to survive in the long term.

Yeah, when Konqueror asked me "Will you accept a cookie from ad.ie.doubleclick.net?", I reluctantly pressed yes.......for boards.ie's sake obviously.. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

I clickem all at least once as a point of principle, its the only way they can see that the ads are 'working' after all.

then I am nice to the advertiser for at least 2 weeks b4 I remember who and what I really am. :)

Ugh!

Dont accept cookies from that ad. I'll see if I cant do something about them. We dont get paid for that, just for showing the ad, so dont feel bad about blocking them! :)

DeV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Ugh, when you click the Esat ad, it doesnt open a new window like the ntl and utv ones do.

I Click the other ones every so often to generate hits for boards, but im not going to do it if its not a new window , i hit back enough times browsing boards as it is:)

• Advertisement

dev, if this isnt to confidential (probably is) how much does it cost for these companies to advertise?

and secondly, do you charge a standard rate or is it based on something else (like the size of the company etc...)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,029 ✭✭✭Wossack

I think its alot to do with the companys karma as to the cost of
    an ad. Just say, for example, micro$oft wanted some ad space....

Well... boards.ie could use an international airport :rolleyes:

Wossack has it bang on...

... We charge anything from nothing (for people like CMEire and Gamire who are non-profit and build stuff we like) to 2-300 a month for UTV and others.

Eircom.... we'll I paid a lot of cash to Eircom in my lifetime... paysbacks a bitch :)

Our running costs are about 2-300 a month and the ram cost us about 450 notes too... so when you are done, its not exactly gravey train but its paying for itself mostly now so we (admins) are free to fund a bit more expansion which will hopefully also grow to become self supporting too...

DeV.

ah right. thanks.

Advertisement