Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Insurance quote

Options
  • 21-10-2002 6:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭

I'm not quite sure if this is the right forum but its more suited here then anywhere else i suppose. On friday my mother decided to get an insurance quote for me, a 17 year old male, with a provisional licensce on a 1998 renault megane classic ( 2 litre diesel) and was quoted at 2800 euro :( Is this quote too high or is it normal?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

Sounds about right to be honest.. if not pretty good considering the cars engine and your age/experience..

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

If that's named driver, that's about a normal quote, given the size of the car and your age. If that's under your name, that's an unbeleivably good quote.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭the evil belly

tis costing me about 1500 on a 2001 1.5 litre almera nad that with a full licence and 2 years driving. i'm only 20 and it's the mothers car. that said thats a hibernian policy and it's fully comp

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭Spunog UIE

thats feckin class either way.

I'm 20 and 2nd provisioanl and i couldn't get a quote under my ma's name on her 1.2L petrol car or on a diesel.

My insurance is like 2800 first named and thats part of the sat tracking thingy.

is molly a guys name? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

btw Molly what part of the country are you in? pretty much the biggest factor in pricing along with the engine these days..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,661 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

That's way too high and normal. The thing to remember about named drivers, is they usually base the premium on the 'highest risk' driver anyway.

Originally posted by Gideon

is molly a guys name? :)

It's his surname, sort of. Afaik :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

I am 19 with a full license since i was 17 and have been driving as a named driver for 2 years and this year got my own policy!
    I am paying €2900 for Third Party Fire and Theft on a 1.2L Clio!!
    €2800 is not bad for a first quote on a 2.0L Megane!!!
    My friend is also 19 and just paid €2800 on a 1.3 mazda under his dads name!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭Molly

I'm in Cork, about 8 miles outside the city.

Ta for the help folks.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I'm 24 in two weeks, full liscence and zero road time. It's looks like it's going to cost me €2830 to get tp f+t on a 1.3l starlet. That's actually more than the cost of the car! Although if anyone has any suggestions for nice brokers who would give me a no claims bonus for time served (lessons with the irish school of motoring :D ), then i'm open to suggestions!

Mark

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭ando

I've heard of ppl going over to england and saying they live with some friend they know over there.. they give their address as being the address in england and get the car insured over there with an english company. They then say to the insurance company that they will be driving quite a lot over in ireland.. usually the insurance companies are ok with that.

I've also heard of ppl going over to belgium and doing the same.. ever cheaper insurance

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

You'd think there'd be some up the north who would take us on, as the north seems to be excluded from most insurance quotes in the u.k. I'm actually checking that out now, some woman in work is getting the name of a company in belfast...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭ando

keep us informed ;)

Advertisement