Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Visor advice for wet weather bike riding.

• 21-10-2002 10:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭

driving out to work today, probably was the most scary experience i've had in a long time.
    The roads were drenched, the rain was falling lightly (far worse than heavily which tends to clear the visor view), my visor was fogged up and all i could barely make out was the smudges of red that were the tail lights of the cars in front of me.

Driving down a motorway @ 60 mph + in these conditions (i drove in the bus lane @ ~50 because frankly was too scared ****less to drive in the fast lane in those conditions) was just not an option imho .

Is there ANY spray or SOMETHING i can treat the visor that can prevent fogging up and cause the drops to not stick to its surface?

Somebody said wipe it with fairy liquid (no pun in tended :) ) ...but am pretty sceptical...

Any advice for wet weather bike riding?

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Kazujo

Forget about sprays and stuff like that get a fog city screen for your visor, it's a plastic film that sticks to the inside of the visor and works light double glazing for your visor I have one and it works great just be careful it they scratch quite easily. You can even get one that auto tinits depending on the brightness

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

precisely what Kazujo said.. I got this strip of film for my Arai helmet last winter. It just sticks inside the visor and believe it or not.. it REALLY works! It stinks like hell for a while when you have the visor closed but I'd rather put up with the stink rather than drive into the back of a truck at 60/70mph because I couldnt see it properly.

They seem to be readily available for Arai helmets but soon I'm gonna have to start the search for one for my Airoh helmet... Best chances are to just try all the bike shops for your make of helmet.

Dont buy anything else! Ive tried a few things in the past like those gel's you rub into the inside of the visor and sprays... this film 'double glazing' is the shiznats :D

Ahhh cool have to look out for them. Bit of a pain in the ass for me too. It's grand when the visor is closed, the water wipes off fine, but on cold days (like the last few) I need to open the visor to stop it fogging up, and then water gets on the inside, which I can't rub off, so I need to leave my visor open to see, then water gets on my glasses, and eventually I have to stop, take off my gear, wipe everything off, and set off again. Pain in the ass.....have to look out for these yokes....

• Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Great, thanks, gonna hunt me down that visor double glazing this weekend :)

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 19,518 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

I have a Schuberth Concept helmet.. When it starts to fog up, you can just raise the visor on either side by approx a millimeter..

Clears and prevents the fogging completely..
    Look out for a simillar helmet, which allows you to vent, when it starts to fog.. Better than any sprays etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

theres a thing like that on Arai helmets; a little thing on the bottom of the visor that you press to one side and it lifts the visor a couple of mill off the lower seals. In theory its a good idea but in practice I found it wasnt as effective as I had hoped :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭Pimp Ninja

Resurrecting an old thread.. apologies, but with good reason...

Little trick I learned from a Garda, and I believe most of the bike cops do it themselves.

An absolutely tiny drop of washing up liquid or similar liquid soap, spread evenly on the inside of the visor before you stick it on your noggin.

I thought I mentioned this to you before Longfield... back in the day and all..

What it does is gives the inside of the visor a slight coating and prevents the condensation building up at all..

• Registered Users Posts: 19,518 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

The folks over at Motorcycle Ireland seem to advocate the Foggy Masks, which direct your breath away from the visor...

They seem to think it is quite successful at avoiding visor misting..
    Anyone try it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Snaga

The visor double glazing mentioned above works fantastically.....but I wear glasses and double glazing them isnt an option :)

The fog mask sounds like a good alternative for that though, think ill get me one of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Young Sid

1st post so be gentle with me darling!!

Fog City is fine - but can can problems with 'starring' if used at night.

Rubbing in washing up liquid on the inside works well, as does polishing the outside of the visor with ordinary car wax. Just move your head in the slipstream & the water runs off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

I'm not a motor cyclist but I wear glasses so can empathise with the fog thing.

I have seen some anti fogging products for glasses. My father used to use one which was reasonably effective. (Can't remember the name tho)