Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

second pc dial up and hangup

Options
  • 21-10-2002 10:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭

I've got 2 machines at home running win 2k .. one has a 56k modem and the machines are networked with a crossover cable. The main pc has ICS turned on and it works fine....

The problem: If the main pc is turned on (but not on the internet) and I turn on the second machine it (the second pc) will at some point dial out and hang up after connecting (on the main machine) .. it dials the default dial up on the main computer ... I have run antivirus and ad-aware and both pc's are clean ... I have zone alarm on both machines and there is nothing out of the ordinary there either ... I think it is win 2k (on the second pc) checking to see if there is an internet connection or something similarly daft ...

Anyone seen this before, is there a fix ..?

PS If the main machine is on the internet and I then turn on the second pc it will not hang up the modem...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,338 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

On the machine that's dialling out,
    right click on the dialup connection, go to properties. Click on sharing, and if "enable on-demand dialling" is selected, uncheck it.
    Sounds like that's what's doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

So there is no way to fix my problem without turning off on demand dialling? ... :confused::(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,338 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

You could always reset zonealarm's rules on the client and see what's trying to access the 'net. You may have allowed the program at some stage and forgot.

• Subscribers Posts: 4,419 ✭✭✭PhilipMarlowe

Symantec netdetect in scheduled tasks possibly?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Dun

Might even be ZoneAlarm itself - everytime I log on to Windows 2000, a DUN prompt pops up looking to connect to lockup.zonealarm.com ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

Leave the pc with the connection turned off and start the "slave" pc. Let it boot everything and then go through everything in the system tray, checking whether there is an option selected in them to connect to the internet. As far as I remember Real player was a tricky one to stop. There was no option to stop it connecting so I had to set it to use a dial up connection, this stopped it connecting throught the network.
    It may also help, while doing this, to set internet options to always dial a connection so you can see when/if it is trying to connect straight away.

Thanks for all the ideas..

I scratched around all over and still couldn't nail down whatever is dialing out ... I've just disabled on demand dialing, its handy, but I value my sanity ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

does the 2nd pc try to log onto a network ...say a win 98 network ...in order to access shared drives

this could cause ports 135 and 137-139 chatter and thereby kick off the modem ...its what makes isdn come 'alive' for no reason on office wans.

a shared printer on the machine with ics enabled can also cause this chatter.

IE 5 and 6 may automatically check for updates, click tools menu, internet options, advanced in IE5 or IE6 ands turn off automatic updates.......having active desktop switched on is enuff to trigger this sunuvabitch off ISTR

M

Hmmmmmmmm .:eek:.. I have both network shares and a shared printer on the ICS gateway ... I'll do some investigation into that.
    I dont think that it is Internet Exploder .. and I dont have active desktop enabled on either machine ... thanks for the ideas..

Advertisement