Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good alternative to frames?

Options
  • 22-10-2002 4:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭

.. Anyone have any suggestions? I want to get rid of the frames, but they're so handy for the menu. Is there anyway of creating a replacement that can be changed every so often without having to change every page?

If you wanna have a look at the site in question, it's:

http://www.inishowen.net/

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭DadaKopf

The only replacement that's cross-browser compatible as far as I know is to make some sort of dynamic website - PHP, ASP that kind of thing. You make one template and it gets regenerated each time a request to the server is made.

But if you don't know PHP, you might just have to do everything the hard way.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

Or slightlyeasier than a dynamic website is Server Side Includes (SSI), if your web server supports them. It allows you to (amongst other things) include one html page within another, so you could have your menu html as one html page, and just include that in the other pages.

.cg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭the Guru

If you use Dreamweaver or the Like you can build one template Page and then build the rest of your pages from that I find it works

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Dun

Hmm.. I've been wondering about getting into PHP. I was well into creating web sites about six years ago, so I know all my HTML and have a good knowledge of javascript and css.

The website is hosted on Eircom (free) webspace, as it's a not for profit site. I'm almost 100% sure that they do not allow anything apart from the vanilla on their servers.

I am using Dreamweaver 4, and although it might be easy to set up templates, the thing is that I have 288 existing pages that I reeaaaaaallllllly don't wanna go and have to change individually.

As an aside, is Dreamweaver MX or whatever they call the newest version, much better than version 4? I hated 4 when I upgraded from 3, but now realise it's so much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

If you use a very simple PHP include you can easily change over.
    Of course, if you have hundreds of pages, it'll be a pain to start with, but once it's in place your life will be a lot easier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Terminator

Also you'll get much better results with search engines when you ditch the frames. (Provided each page has a distinct and relative title).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭damien_gill

I'd strongly suggest paying a visit to

http://www.dynamicdrive.com

They have great resources there anyway.

IN YOUR CASE GO TO THEIR NAVIGATION SECTION AND YOU MAY FIND A NAVIGATION SYSTEM THAT WOULD SUIT YOUR NEEDS.

I have one in particular in mind and all changes to the navigatino bar can be done through one particular script.

If ya want I can e-mail you an example of it.

Advertisement