Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hotmail

• 22-10-2002 8:55am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭

I think hotmail have begun putting spam filtters on their mail servers, my spam has decreased dramatically.

Obviously I wouldnt use hotmail but I am stuck with it as so many people have that address for me!

anyone else notice an improvement?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭the Guru

I have too Last night i checked but Instead of 200 I had abut 40 which is amazing as I check it each day Still lots of muck getting through but what can you do its Hotmail

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

I block every domain that sends muck.. so i only get about 4 each day. Since they are remailer services and so on im not likely to block an actual person.. you dont usually get spam@hotmail.com for instance or spam@yahoo.com and if so i just block the address itself.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Samson

Originally posted by Saruman
    I block every domain that sends muck.. so i only get about 4 each day. Since they are remailer services and so on im not likely to block an actual person..

How do you do that?
    I get a lot of spam, and blocking the individual addresses from which I receive it does not seem to help much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

ill crawl outta yeer floppy drives if ye keep doin that to me

hotmail antispam is rubbish, yahoo are much better at spam filtering it seems to me and give u more space than hotmail + free pop3 access to another account(s) when u r on the road

M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

If you select 50 spam messages in hotmail and press block, it only blocks the invidividual sender, not the domain. Domains have to be blocked manually, which is a complete pain if your inbox has 100 spam mails in it. Having said that I blocked a load of senders recently and spam seems to have been caught, but I thought that I had blocked them before. I think its possible that about 2 months ago, all hotmail spam filters were cleared or broken, by accident or on purpose I'm not sure.

Muck, I'd love to switch to yahoo, but I've had this address for about 6 years.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

MS announced an initiative to clean up spam in Hotmail around 2 months ago and probably broke the scumfilters as part of it.

I think that spam got WORSE since then ......I hardly ever bother using hotmail and only check it once a month or so...the minimum.....and keep it in case some people are looking for me in MSN messenger....another biohazard.

Yahoo seems to do everything Hotmail does without the intrusion and constant bugs spam and outages.

M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Ah, the benefits of a 16-character username :D The only spam I get is from hotmail themselves

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

I just block loads of obvious words like 'sales', 'direct', 'offer' etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭scojones

Originally posted by Gunn4r

Obviously I wouldnt use hotmail but I am stuck with it as so many people have that address for me!

I'm _not_ trying to start anything. i just think it's funny that you say you have NO choice but to use hotmail because too many people have your address, incase we flamed you for using it. I think it's a crap service. You have what? 2mb of space or something? crap i say! boo! boo!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Gunn4r

I'm _not_ trying to start anything. i just think it's funny that you say you have NO choice but to use hotmail because too many people have your address, incase we flamed you for using it. I think it's a crap service. You have what? 2mb of space or something? crap i say! boo! boo!

eh?

I give a flying **** if you flame me or not ;-) The purpose of the post was to let people know they have started doing something to prevent spam!

I personally have no choice with this account as I have had mine for *years* and used it when travelling to the USA / Oz have given loads of people my address and also have lots of mailouts set to direct to it. I have a few yahoo accounts too.

I am careful with mine and dont get too much spam at all, with this new change I get nearly none!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭scojones

i used to use campus.ie email. Can't remember ever getting spam. I think i did once or twice about entering a competition to win tickets to some gig - which i don't mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

You should use a seperate 'spam' account for online forms, compos etc that you suspect you might get spam from. I get very little spam in my main account (hotmail). Used sensibly, it's fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Acidflash

spam has reduced alot over the last week or so. i rearly use the account for anything anymore so i only ever check it every 5 days or so. In that time i only had about 40 spam messages compared to the usual 250.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

MS signed up to a third-party spam filter company recently. Can't remember the exact name - it's something like Brightmail.

Should make a difference. I got annoyed enough with Hotmail spam (a long time ago) to never go near it again. Doubt they'll miss me anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

3 Hotmail accounts.
    0 spam in any of the 3 inboxs.

Turn on "safe list only" or something of the like. Only E-Mails from ppl on your safe list is filtered to your Inbox.
    Everything else to the junk mail.

I get anywhere up to 200 junk mail per week in one account.

Ah, the benefits of a 16-character username

My last account has a 16 character user name so no spam will ever find it!

btw Seamus, just what IS your Hotmail addy?!:p

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

Over the past 4 weeks I've been getting at least 160 junk mail every week, now I've only been getting less than 10 a day, and about 6/7 of them go into the junk mail,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Lorax

Ive never got ONE spam message iin my hotmail account (over 2 years, apart from microsoft themselves which is once in a blue moon) all i remember doing was turninng off white pages and some other thing when i signed up.

Advertisement