Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Monitor on the way out?

• 22-10-2002 10:10am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭

I had this happen a couple of weeks ago but now the problem seems to be permanent. I switched the monitor this morning and got the fuzzy sound I usually hear when the monitor is turned off (discharging capacitors/releasing static or whatever causes it). The colour settings and geometry settings were completely screwed up. The first time this happened I was eventually over the course of a couple of days able to sort out the colour and return the geometry to a close approximation of what it used to be, and once done it stayed like that. Now anytime the monitor is turned off or goes into stand-by the screwed upsettings return, and I still haven't been able to get a tint of red out no matter how much I reduce the redness. Just wondering if anyone knows a way around this before I start looking for a replacement (which I can't afford). The monitor is about 5 years old, and seems to be a no brand thing (but it has been perfect for those 5 years).

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭ozpass

My 1974 Skoda Rapid has collapsed in a pile of rust and for the last few days has been completely on fire. Every time I try to start it nothing happens. The last time all the wheels fell off I was eventually able to get it driving again. Although it's not a BMW, it has worked perfectly for the last 28 years. Does anyone have a workaround for this problem?:p :p:p:p:p

Sorry for the sarcastic response, I couldn't resist! It's generally not recommended poking around inside a monitor's casing, and often costs more to repair one than to replace it.

It certainly sounds like the situation is terminal though. I got a perfectly good (ancient) Gateway 15" monitor out of a skip once though- you might strike lucky too.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

While I don't agree entirely with ozpass, they do have a point. Are you expecting some button combination to restore your monitor? Your options are to get it repaired or replace it. So your question of whether it is on the way out or not perhaps should have been "Where can I get this repaired cheaply".

In my experience, its worth letting them have a look at it, most places won't charge you for just having a look. If its a case that they can just adjust the monitor without replacing any parts, it might not cost you too much to repair it, after that you are looking at perhaps the replacement of a common, cheap part, which wouldn't be too expensive. Anything more usually gets very expensive, and far more than the monitor is worth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭ozpass

Bear in mind also that money spent on a monitor is always a good investment. I appreciate that you've little money to spend (I'm far from 'rolling in it' myself) but a good monitor (even compared to an average monitor) will reduce eye-strain and improve your experience as a computer user.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭OSiriS

It is looking that everytime it goes into standby or is turned off the settings get reset to some kind of default.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

does anyone have any idea if monitors have a similar (removeable and replaceable) type battery.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

Well I may have read your first post wrong, but I thought you were saying that the monitor had deteriorated so that it was not possible to bring it back to a good picture even you left it on for ages messing with the controls, that there was some sort of red tint left behind. Anyway, a decent monitor repair shop should be able to sort you out.

Muck, I'd say there is some sort of battery or nvram, otherwise how would it remember :)

Advertisement