Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

XP | No welcome/logon screen on boot up

• 22-10-2002 11:58am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭

I had a nice working XP pro instalation on a 5 gig partition of a 120 gig drive. How ever, this drive had to be sent back to the vendor for repair, small physical fault but the drive booted and worked fine. Before I took out the hd I made a Norton Ghost backup image of the XP instalation to cd's so I could ghost it on to another 5 gig partition on my other 120 gig drive. Wrote the image to 3 cd's and transfered this image back on to the other partition on the second hd no errors so far until I reboot with the new image.

It starts to boot fine and just as it gets to the point where it should throw up the 'welcome/login' screen it just throws up a nice blue "Microsoft Windows XP" screen - not s blue screen of death, just a splash screen, no buttons, no user accounts to click, the mouse can still move and the num/caps lock lights turn on and off if i press them. I left this screen for more than 30 mins - it dosent change.

Safe mode, last known good etc make no difference, the only hadrware change is the fact its on a different hard drive. The hd WILL boot fine if i reinstall xp from scratch but that defeats the porpose of making my ghost images.

So, anyone know whats going on?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭PPC

Press ctrl+alt+del like in NT to logon and it will give you the old logon box.

Or maybe try a new logon screen using BootXP.

Otherthan that reinstall windows or maybe run norton windoc (can be dodgy)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭strat

Originally posted by PPC
    Press ctrl+alt+del like in NT to logon and it will give you the old logon box.
    no it didnt :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭strat

i 'repaired' xp and it seems to be working fine now
    but theres another problem, another thread

Advertisement