Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Win2000 and Ghost

• 22-10-2002 12:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,548 ✭✭✭✭

Quick question.... I spent over 4 hours yesterday installing Win2000, Drivers, SQL Server, Office and .NET. I never want to have to do that again. :)

I want to Ghost my drive, but obviously I need to do this from DOS. How do I get into DOS from outside Win2000? There is no command prompt on the F8 boot menu, and there is no 'System Disk' option on the format command in My Computer. There is also no /s parameter on format in the DOS prompt.

I have a feeling this is because I am on NTFS.

Any suggestions?

- Dave.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭strat

use norton ghost to make a boot disk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭BogoBot

Best way to do this is with a dos 6.22 bootdisk (or boot CD) with the ghost files on it (or on a server that you can access under dos). You can't create one of these with Win2k on its own.....

Do you have a copy of Ghost? IIRC it has a wizard to create such a disk.

If you need more assistance, drop me a pm.

Bogobot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

make sure that the hard drive is plugged into an ATA slot on the motherboard and not into some funky PCI ATA card or SCSI card. You will have to have a driver on the boot disk in that case.

also make sure that Ghost Server is running on another rmachine on the network and listening for a connection.

M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,548 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Tried making a startup disk on an XP machine. Worked fine, but I can't see the C drive (NTFS). Thats the one I want to back up.

As for ghost, I just have ghostpe.exe on a floppy.

- Dave.

its probably on an outboard card (scsi or ata)

if scsi u would be unilkely to get the whole lot on a floppy, try burning the ghost boot onto an ata cd and booting off that maybe. 650Mb instead of 1.44Mb to play with. Had to do that once with a server which had an adaptec scsi controller for the drives but an atapi cd-rom

if ata u MAY fit all on a floppy, what 'scsi' devices are listed in the system control panel on u r w2k machine pls

Ghost will copy a partitition, it is pretty much agnostic about fat ntfs etc. etc. If u cannot see the partition it is because the gost boot floppy cannot recognise the drive controller.

Also rememger the boot floppy is win98 and u need win 98 device drivers and a bit of config.sys and autoexec.bat editing to get it all going.

M

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,548 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Its just a bog standard Dell Precision 340 with a regular HD. I still believe that NTFS is my problem (the whole point of NTFS is that its 'secure' and shouldn't be readable from DOS.)

Time to call on Mr. Google......

- Dave.

in the scsi bit of the system control panel in w2k

M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭deckie27

You don't need to be able to see the partion in dos
    You make a dos boot disk
    Then you run ghost from a floppy it is only a small file 500 - 600 Kb
    Ghost will be able to see the NTFS partion and your laughing
    you can setup ghost to create particular file sizes eg 645mb, 695 mb then burn thes files onto CD's

Deco

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭Ruaidhri

get a copy of partition magic 5...i used it to back up win2k partitions..it works a dream..

btw dont ghost back to the raw data,not the files?so file systems dont matter?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭Ba$tard

I just did this at the weekend.

I used Ghost 603 and do have NTFS partitions.
    Deckie is correct..you dont need to understand the NTFS partition in Doc in order for Ghost to do a copy of the partition.
    Ghost(General Hardware Orientated system Transfer :) ) has its own NTFS Overlay(driver), so dont worry about it

Your only worry should be that you can actually list the partition in DOS using Fdisk.

I would suggest either use Norton (as said ) to create your own boot floppy or create a DOS 7.0 (7.1) (Win98 + Win98se) boot disk and run it from there. *make sure himem is loading so can actually use more that 600k of ram ;) *

When you ghost a drive, make sure you put each drive on a different IDE Port. Mucho faster. I had 2x 80gig 7200 drives copying a 75gig partition at about 1950 Meg a minute. It save thrashing the same IDE port (which has a limited bandwidth and command queue)

J.

• Advertisement
Advertisement