Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Newbie wants to know about scooter tax...

Options
  • 22-10-2002 1:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I'm just about to buy a Vespa ET2 and I was wondering when do I need to get it taxed? What do I need to do? I've never owned anything with a motor so I don't know the procedure. :confused:

Thanks,

Boogie Man.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Is that a 50cc scooter? if so you'll probably only be paying about 25 euros a year in road tax. I can't remember for sure, but i think you need to produce the vehicle registration cert and certificate of insurance at the local motor tax office to get it taxed under your name for the first time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,230 ✭✭✭OLDYELLAR

its 31 euro , you will need the vehicle registration cert and also a thing that the dealer gives you , its just a form ,.but dont wait ages to tax it like i did because you will have to back tax it and basically the county council will keep sending every thing back until its absolutely dead on , so the sooner you sort it the better.
    i think the requirements are wrote on the back of the document the dealer gives you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭damien_gill

A word of advice my friend.

I bought a shiney new green ET2 around a year ago. I didn't go around on it like a maniac. Seven months later I havn't got my bike anymore. Some granny hit me wrote of my bike and nearlly crippled me. I'm only 20 and I'm gonna have a bad back. I'd reconsider if I were you people in cars don't pay attention to mopeds.

Also, the ET2's can only be bought in Skooter as far as I know and they charge extortionate amounts for maintenance and small repairs.

I payed around about 150 euros to have my puntured bakc wheel replaced.

Seriously dont make the mistake I did. DONT BUY A VESPA ET2 they look cool but god help ya if something goes wrong with it mechanically or in a crash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,230 ✭✭✭OLDYELLAR

i totally agree , lots of motorists pay absolutely no attention to scooters , i were knocked off mine and me finger still not right after it .but you just have to be careful.
    best of luck with the new wheels!

I was actually very careful on my bike.

I may add I only had the bike four months and some silly youg girl hit my bike just off the Keys. I was lucky I got up without a problem my girlfriend was on the back of the bike and she was lucky too.

There was also a Guinness truck who was about a meter away from sqaushing us but thank God he had great reflexes.

I was extremely cautious driving my bike but twice in four odd months I had two crashes one that was not serious but still could have killed me.

And the second was a serious one that wrote off my bike, left me with a sore back and legs for an unknown period of time and the frightening thing is I WAS VERY VERY VERY LUCKY TO BE ABLE TO STAND UP AFTER THE BAD CRASH LET ALONE NOT BE KILLED

Seriously man for your own good don't get a moped. The last thing I wanna read in the news is another moped death.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭boogie man

Thanks for te replies guys,

Stop scaring me about the scooter thing!!:( I spend 4+ hours a day on the bus commuting from one side of the city to the other and holy jeebus I'm gonna go nutzoid if I don't do something about it. So I figure get a scooter and be a big nerd with it like luminous jacket withe loads of reflectors, no risk taking and 100% concentration. I think I should be fine. How much more dangerous could a scooter be compared to a push bike?

Thanks again,

BM.

I had all the safety gear and 100% percent concentration on the road. The thing is YOU DON'T HAVE TO WATCH OUT FOR YOURSELF YOU GOTTA WATCH OUT FOR OTHERS.

Looking back now I wish I just had have stayed using public transport at least that way I wouldn't be a 20 year old with a very weak back and constantly tired legs.

If you do get one I wish you good luck and god speed

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

You'll also need your insurance cert to get your bike taxed......If I were you, I'd get a bigger bike, anything. IMO, scooters are far too light to have a motor. That said, just be aware of one thing - Motorists are afraid of motorbikes, cos they know we're psychos. But they just see scooters/mopeds as an irritant, and automatically assume the driver is a scumbag.

It's not as bad as people here are making it out to be, but be aware that there are a majority of drivers who won't like you, and who'll bully you. Good Luck!

Talking of safety gear, where is a good place to buy wet gear, helmet, lock, gloves, etc??

I know Skooter just off beside the Millenium bridge stock a great set of gear.

Now hows about that for a bit of free advertising for Skooter

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Most retailers will give you a helmet, lock and gloves when you buy a bike, even a second hand one. I'd advise striking a deal over the helmet though - eg give him an extra E50 and he gives you a better helmet, or you pay for a better lock yourself, and he gives you a better helmet.

For wet gear, you can wear normal hikers gear - you'd be surprised how good it is. It gives your elbows no protection though, and a decent jacket could cost upwards of E250. My best advise is to buy a soft-padded jacket (~E120) and a dent pair of rain bottoms (~E25). That'll keep you warm and dry during these horrible months ahead.......

Thanks a million guys!:D

Advertisement