Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

USB - Serial/Parallel question

• 22-10-2002 7:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,462 ✭✭✭✭

Hope this is the right place to ask.

I have a ZIP drive wiht a USB connection, how can I connect it to my sister's PC which only has Serial/Parallel ports? Is there an adaptor available? How much should it cost?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Xithus

Ive been lead to believe that you cant adapt that way, parallel and serial are too slow..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

this
    which only has Serial/Parallel ports

which leads me to think its a slow pc ...pre pentium II I should think

back then (1995-1998) there were parallel-usb adapters available but pc's and macs have all has USB for the past 4 years or so. see Dabs and look at the belkin (manufacturer) stuff as protocol conversion is a specialty of theirs.

a faint hope but a hope

M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭GUI

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Not sure. I recently got a USB - Parallel cable for the printer from Marx Computers. But, it specifically says it's for a printer so don't think it will work backways (parallel - USB)

Maybe go for a PCI card with USB ports. I believe they exist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,462 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by GUI_XP
    try www.dabs.com
    Hmmm, STG#35-49 - half the price of the ZIP drive. Getting the PCI card may just be investing in a machine that is soon to be on the way out (its a P350 c. 1998-99) /me thinks the sister needs a new computer. :)

Thanks for the info.

• Advertisement
Advertisement