Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

XP | Chnage drive letter of system volume

• 22-10-2002 8:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭

ok so i go to the computer management pannel in control panel and local disks where one can change the drive letters BUT it wont let me change the main bootable xp partition
    i get
    Windows cannot mofify the drive letter of your system volume or boot volume

now after some ghosting problems which i think i have sorted it has left the side effect that my boot partition is now Z: :)

and this has to be changed - lots of apps are defaulting to c:\....

anyone got any idea on this ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

could be wrong but u could try tweakui for xp ?
    i think that can change what u want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭logic1

Partition magic 7 will change drive letters.

.logic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭Mr. Fancypants

Had a similar problem when i was upgrading from a 20GB to an 80GB.
    After ghosting the 20GB to the 80GB i booted up XP with both drives in to check that the new drive was working and then made the mistake of assigning the new drive drive letters. Have you done something similar?

I ended up reghosting, and booting up with only the new drive in. Assigned whatever letters i wanted, then added the old drive and formatted it, assigned new letters etc.

Not sure if there is an easier way of doing it but it worked for me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭strat

Right, installed partition magic 8 and went to change the drive letter and it when i rebooted for it to actually make the change it just hung at "Partition Magic will now begin, press any key to abort" for ages, tryed this a few times - no luck
    Rebooted and took off 8 and put on 7 and this worked to the point where it completed the operation and rebooted the machine to let me see if this worked and well i was back to square one :mad:
    Repaired windows xp again and in the middle of that Drive Mapper poped up asking me to see if i wanted what few Z: referenced converted back to C: i let it do its thing and everything is back to normal now. :)

I am still none the wiser as to what exactly happened in the first place but at least i have a usable os now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭logic1

Originally posted by StrataGIST
    Right, installed partition magic 8 and went to change the drive letter and it when i rebooted for it to actually make the change it just hung at "Partition Magic will now begin, press any key to abort" for ages, tryed this a few times - no luck
    Rebooted and took off 8 and put on 7 and this worked to the point where it completed the operation and rebooted the machine to let me see if this worked and well i was back to square one :mad:
    Repaired windows xp again and in the middle of that Drive Mapper poped up asking me to see if i wanted what few Z: referenced converted back to C: i let it do its thing and everything is back to normal now. :)

I am still none the wiser as to what exactly happened in the first place but at least i have a usable os now.

Glad to see it all worked out in the end :) But I would seriously suspect somethings up with your hard drive.

.logic.

• Advertisement
Advertisement