Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Win 98 Hangs upon Restart

• 22-10-2002 9:56pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

I just reinstalled my pc running Windoes 98, and everything is fine, except for some reason when I restart the computer it just hangs - just after it powers down and the monitor goes black... I have to turn the power off and back on again. Its fine after that, but very annoying...

Can anyone tell me why this might happen, and how to fix it? Sorry I can;t give much more usefull info than this...

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Ah good oul Win98 bugs. Is it First edition?That hates ATX (software-controlled) power supplies. For me, it would never restart, or return from DOS mode. Shutdowns had to be done manually too. You can try reinstall, but that prolly won't fix the problem. I don't think you can do much to fix it, just live with it...that's MS for ya. Or maybe someone else has a fix for it.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Typedef

I doubt this will fix your issue, but, umm here is the windows 98 apm shutdown patch.

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/win98/downloads/shutdown.asp
    Always worth a try.

Also you could try messing around with some of the settings in msconfig.

Typedef

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

this isnt really a solution, just a workaround...
    go to start/shut down, select restart, hold shift, click 'ok' (with shift still held down), wait for a second or so, release shift.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

I tried everything to solve it and even ended up reinstalling my whole computer, and still it made mo difference! Then someone suggested plugging out the mouse and keyboard - and it worked! It was simply the fact that i had not reinstalled my mouse drivers! How annoying!

It's weird, cause I've had a similar problem before where my computer would not even start up at all, all because there was a bent pin on the mouse plug... I fell like an idiot for not remembering...

So if ever you've got strange pc problems take 30 seconds to look at the mouse and keyboard, cause it could save you hours in troubleshooting!

Advertisement