Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problems with ADSL

Options
  • 22-10-2002 10:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭

lo,
    I was just wondering if u lot could help me out with my adsl, it is fast and all but i never seem to get good pings and the latency is terrible, so please help me figure it out. Any help will be greatly appreciated. :)

Thanks,
    Silavar

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

www.speedguide.com and post your results and your OS.

kdja

• Registered Users Posts: 5,338 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

Originally posted by kdja
    www.speedguide.com and post your results and your OS.

That link doesn't seem to go anywhere.

Silavar, there was a thread on the IrelandOffline board about this, take a look here:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?threadid=63581&highlight=interleaving

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

oops sorry www.speedguide.net

Kdja

• Closed Accounts Posts: 741 ✭✭✭longword

Originally posted by Silavar
    I never seem to get good pings and the latency is terrible, so please help me figure it out.
    Eircom's I-Stream service is not set up to be as low ping as one might like from broadband. You should expect ICMP pings (ping.exe or /usr/bin/ping) to local sites to be around the 50ms to 70ms mark. Bear in mind that if you go further afield, the speed of light becomes a factor - until we figure out how to do FTL comms, it's always going to take some finite time for a packet to cross the Atlantic.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Packet

The latency figure is around 50ms because there is a form of error correction called interleaving on the line. This done because it increases the number of
    lines that are suitable for ADSL.

• Advertisement
Advertisement