Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

This is pathetic

• 23-10-2002 9:24am
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭

This is ridiculous!! Are we in the dark ages here in Ireland!!

Believe it or not, advertising authority calls time on beer ads
    By Frank McNally

Three of television's best-known beer commercials are set to disappear from our screens after the Advertising Standards Authority for Ireland (ASAI) upheld complaints about them.

The offending ads include the one for Carlsberg in which a group of holiday-makers (male) enjoy the view of builder's cleavage (female) on a nearby construction site; and one for Coors Light, featuring a late-night game among drinkers in which the loser has to lick a dirty sock.

But probably the biggest casualty is the Guinness "volcano" commercial.

Filmed in Poland, the ad depicts a village hit by a volcanic eruption, in which a bare-footed man walks across a river of lava to rescue pints of Guinness from the local bar.

The commercial was designed to illustrate the brewery's current slogan: "Believe".

But the ASAI believed a complainant who felt the drink was being wrongly promoted as a "source of power". Acknowledging the advertisers' defence that the lava-walking occurred on the way to the bar, and the man was by implication sober at the time, the ASAI nevertheless upheld the complaint.

The authority has now written to the agencies involved asking for the ads to be withdrawn, unless they can be amended in such a way as to meet the advertising code. A spokeswoman said the latter option was unlikely.

Guinness said it was "very concerned" at the potential loss of the commercial on Irish television but added that it would comply.

The authority cited five separate complaints about the volcano sequence, including a claim that it insulted the real victims of natural disasters. Guinness said the ad, which is used globally, had not attracted criticism anywhere else.

The ASAI rejected a complaint that the Carlsberg construction site was demeaning to women but instead expressed concern at the depiction of a drink-fuelled holiday "likely to be of particular appeal to male minors".

Non-alcoholic ads that fell foul of the authority included a poster campaign for Levis in which couples in jeans and suggestive poses appeared alongside the slogan: "Rub yourself".

The advertisers protested that the concept was designed to highlight the ready-worn or textured look of the jeans, "achieved by rubbing up against various surfaces".

The authority ruled that the posters were likely to cause "grave and widespread offence".

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,537 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

FFS, thats just ridiculous......
    Whats wrong with the coors ad?

Speaking of ads, you've all probably heard the Eircom ad on the radio over the last few weeks (You know the one..... "I wouldn't mind if she was head of MY department, if you know what I mean." - "She's my daughter, David, if you KNOOOOW what I mean."

My question is - why did they change the voice of the boss in the last couple of days? Its exactly the same ad, but the boss has a different voice. Its not as funny any more, IMO. Did someone complain about it??

- Dave.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Did they change the voice!! Someone was saying that the Brennans bread ad where the girl pinches your manos ass, that they removed this part!

And they ignore priests raping kids!!! :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Unfortunately the Advertising Standards Authority for Ireland have no authority in Paedophilia cases. :rolleyes:

Brennan's ad, I haven't seen her pinching your man's ass, must have been changed a while ago, I dod not even know that she did that.

That Nicorette one is in trouble too, the one where she kicks several shades out of a guy in a cigarette costume, there has been several complaints from men's groups somewhere along the lines of "Why can't a man beat up a woman cigarette" and so forth...

That Nicorette one is in trouble too, the one where she kicks several shades out of a guy in a cigarette costume, there has been several complaints from men's groups somewhere along the lines of "Why can't a man beat up a woman cigarette" and so forth...
    God almighty.... what is this country coming to? They're only ads!!!

- Dave.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Originally posted by yop
    Someone was saying that the Brennans bread ad where the girl pinches your manos ass, that they removed this part!

Yes they did change it, after some (non-blind) idiots protested that it was somehow demeaning to blind people. I thought the ad was pretty good the way it was.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

It actually took me a few viewings to realise the woman was blind, I thought it was just bad acting. d'oh.

But that's a ridiculous reason to ban an ad! What, blind people aren't allowed have relationships or flirt with non-blind people? Sad.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Listening the might "Ryan Family in Clontarf" g ryan this morning and they had the hero on that was explaining why they were banned. They had ONE complaint about the gunniess ad and this is why they pulled it off the air!!

Honest to god, I wonder if we rang up today about some ad would they ban it!!:rolleyes:

Originally posted by yop

Honest to god, I wonder if we rang up today about some ad would they ban it!!:rolleyes:

Ok, let's ring and complain about the 'power to change' ads :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

Originally posted by Dustaz
    Yes they did change it, after some (non-blind) idiots protested that it was somehow demeaning to blind people. I thought the ad was pretty good the way it was.

Sure they wouldnt even see the ad :)

I really can't believe these ads have been pulled though, these people must be the saintliest moral-abiding citizens Ireland has, obviously they don't know the everyday facts that:

a) drink does give you powers. lots of powers. not just the ability to lick socks walk on lava but the ability to make the opposite sex look more attractive.
    b) groups of young men don't go on holidays to sit on the beachs.
    c) rubbing against a wall is the only way for people with no arms to scratch their legs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

Originally posted by eth0_
    Ok, let's ring and complain about the 'power to change' ads :)

Actually on that point this is whats on all the Dublin buses atm:
    "My son was killed by terrorists..
    God gave me the strength to forgive them."

Surely I'm not the only one who in the current world climate thinks this is inappropriate and insensitive?
    I mean I'm sure those ads would go down very well in Omagh, NY or Bali or anywhere else touched in a big way by terrorism.
    Hypocritical bastards.
    **** the terrorists. If God gave him the strength to go locate the pricks responsible and shoot them in the head I'd commend these ads.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭EL_Diablo

I blame the aul ones. They're so easily offended and they have all the power in this country. The examples given are all pretty bad alright but the worst one I have heard of is the Dell ad, the one where yer woman is on the phone and yer man comes in and redials to see who she was on the phone to. It was pulled because the ASAI received complaints that it showed a typical controlling, possesive and abusive partner.
    ITS A FUKING AD!! Its not as if he grabbed the phone off her and gave her a few slaps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

i could only laugh when i heard it this morning. why doesn't the Eircom mouse get banned. that's surely cruelty against an innocent animal. but seriously, does it really matter. does the ASAI have control over UK channels with Irish ads. these ads will still be on those UK based channels which loads of people in this country watch anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭Lex_Diamonds

Wtf??? I rang up the ads people to complain about those Vodafone ads.

It annoys me that ads cant be taken off air on the basis that I and any number of people could be driven to causing physical harm to ourselves and/or loved ones as a result of watching inbred and excessively hairy irish people demean the whole monkey species...

Heres the reasons (for those who are interested):

Coors: http://www.asai.ie/newsletter/detail.tmpl?SKU=20021022142552

Carlsberg: http://www.asai.ie/newsletter/detail.tmpl?SKU=20021022141739

Guinness: http://www.asai.ie/newsletter/detail.tmpl?SKU=20021022142228
    Guinness Volcano Ad: One complainant felt that the advertisement was an insult to any people who had suffered such an awful tragedy and was shocked to find at the end that the only thing of importance was that a keg of Guinness had survived the ordeal. Another complainant felt that such a presentation made all human suffering in the film to be valueless, ignored and alcohol to be revered [...] The complainant also felt that the product was being sold as a source of power, life enhancement and a source of human fulfilment and in this sense was essentially misleading
    Some people have too much time on their hands....

No mention of the Eircom voice change. Might be in next weeks ASAI Bulletin.

- Dave.

Lads

Anyone here cheeky enough to ring up and pick and ad and see will the ban it?? :D

And no I am not doing it, ****e liar!:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

The Guinness ad was fu<king stupid anyway - it should have been banned on the grounds of being crap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

Originally posted by TwoShedsJackson
    The Guinness ad was fu<king stupid anyway - it should have been banned on the grounds of being crap.

agreed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭damien_gill

You see this is the kind of stupid crap that our government let happen.
    I'd love to meet the complainants of the Coors adverts and knock seven shades of ****e outta them. It's people like the ones that complain that hold this country back in certain ways.

FUK IT I'LL RING THEM AND COMPLAIN ABOUT THE ANNOYING "POWER TO CHANGE ADS"

They offend me because "I don't believe in one particular religion and therefore I am offended because I feel that religion is now being advertised like it's for sale"

Is that a good complaint?

Come on peeps I need the phone number of the ASAI and some more complaints.

Jesus H Christ who ARE these people who complain! I wish they revealed who the claimants are so we could personally slap them silly!

"the advertisement combined with the use of ‘Light’ in the name implied that one could drink more of Coors Light than other beers and that this was misleading as Coors Light contained the same alcohol content as other non-light lagers"

FFS it's called 'Light' because it's LOW CALORIE!
    Right, let's get brands of 'Light' crisps in fact 'Light' everything banned because it obviously encourages people to eat more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭Kone

I heard on Today FM that the Eircom radio ad (If you Know what I mean!) was changed because ppl found the original voice too irritating! I dfind the whole F-cking ad irritating! Am I alone on this one? :eek:

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Presumably the complainants are representatives of rival drinks companies. Or indeed, from within the company itself, as having an ad banned lends a product a certain cachet.
    On a side note, why does Guinness advertise anyway? Who has ever gone "Oh, yeah, Guinness, I never thought of that, wonder where I can get some?"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭ironape

I havn't heard the new/old voice for the "if you know what I mean" add but I must agree that that guys voice did make me want to rip the stereo from the dashboard of the car and fling it with great force out the window. Don't think my sister would have been too happy though as I was in her car when I heard it :rolleyes:

Ck

That one with the two lads chatting annoyed me quite a bit, wnet something like

"Airee"
    "Airee"
    "storee ?"
    "Buzzin"

Or somesuch, now if that ad got through it's lifespan without some complaints then surely any ad can ;)

SO COME ON PEOPLE WHO HAS THE CONTACT DETAILS OF THE COMPLAINTS DEPT OR WHATEVER.

POST THEM UP AND THEN WE'LL MAKE A LIST OF LOADS OF ADS PAST AND PRESENT THAT ARE ANNOYING or "offending" and I'll spend bout a milliojn years on the phone to them complaining of all the different ads.

Why I hear you ask?

Because I can and becuase it's fun to observe people squerm uncomfortably oh yeah did I mention cos I god damn can.

Sorry for the caps at the start.

Originally posted by damien_gill
    SO COME ON PEOPLE WHO HAS THE CONTACT DETAILS OF THE COMPLAINTS DEPT OR WHATEVER.
    Here's a thought: Go to the ASAI website url given a few replies up the page from this and you'll see the contact details!!

Sorry for the caps at the start.

There's this thing called the delete key....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Typedef

But the ASAI believed a complainant who felt the drink was being wrongly promoted as a "source of power".

I believe the Nice Treaty is a source of evil... I wonder if the ASAI will overturn the Yes result as well?
    After all I feel as if my civil rights have been abrogated.

OK

1: I know where the DEL key I just couldna'e be arsed typing it again.

2: I would've spot that URL except I'm half wired to the f**king moon today.

So come on peeps lets hear all your complaints.

Here ya go jock..

Advertising Standards Authority for Ireland
    IPC House, 35/39 Shelbourne Road, Dublin 4
    Ph: (01) 6608766 Fax: (01) 6608113 EMail: info@asai.ie

Fiant Secundum
    Descriptionem Bona

''let the product accord
    with its description''

have a look at their site and all the ads that have been shot down on: ASAI Complaints Bulletin 02-5

I decided to complain about the lacoste ad where your mano is but naked, saying that it may encourage my kids to walk around the house naked kicking pillows!!! BTW I have no kids

• Advertisement

Conclusion:

Complaint Upheld

The Code of Sales Promotion Practice provides that failure to respond or unreasonable delay in responding to ASAI’s enquiries may be considered a breach of the Code. The Code requires that unless otherwise stated in advance, prizewinners should receive their prizes not more than 6 weeks after the promotion has ended.

The Complaints Committee expressed disappointment at the promoters failure to respond to the complaint and reminded them that there was an onus on promoters to demonstrate that their promotion was in conformity with the Code. In the absence of any response from the promoters the Complaints Committee upheld the complaint.

This was a complaint about those scratch card thingies in magazines. The people responsible didn't respond to the complaint and nothing happened.

So why don't Guinness, Carlsberg and any other advertiser just go and tell ASAI to go and F**K OFF.

They have no powers / clout whatsoever and that's right you guessed it's another great waste of TAX PAYERS money that Fianna Failure seem so adament on doing.

So why don't Guinness, Carlsberg and any other advertiser just go and tell ASAI to go and F**K OFF.

They have no powers / clout whatsoever and that's right you guessed it's another great waste of TAX PAYERS money that Fianna Failure seem so adament on doing.

Because they DO have powers and they DO have clout!!! Hence the ads not being on anymore!!!

mutter mutter.

To Whom It May Concern,

I wish to strongly object to the current advertising campaign for the "POWER TO CHANGE" both on television and in the press and also on the DART service.

I am objecting to these adverts as a consumer. I believe that as an individual I have a right not to believe in one religion or another as my religion (whatever I choose) is a deeply personal thing to me and anyone else.

I believe the current campaign sows seeds of doubt in a person about their choice of religion. It conveys religion and God as if he / she was for sale and I feel that I should not have any kind of religious beliefs forced upon me WHICH IS EXACTLY what the current POWER TO CHANGE adverts are doing.

I would appreciate you response and investigation into this matter.

Yours Sincerely,

Damien Gill

This is the letter of complaint I just sent them. I'll keep ya all posted if "I HAVE THE POWER TO CHANGE" or not.

thats right they have that much f**king clout dont they.

Then why pre-tell did the company not bother responding and why can the ASAI not do jack about the scratch card company ignoring them?

hhhhmmmmm at a guess I'd say cos they have NO POWERS although they may have super powers like x-ray vision which would make them really cool but still they would have no clout

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭D-Generate

How many complaints are needed to get an ad banned.
    We should decide on a really annoying ad and agree to phone up the ASAI. I say we need no more than 15 phone calls.
    My vote is the "I've got to break free" Eircom ad.

Christ.

You do realise when you complain about an ad and its taken off-air , the company spends money on another one right? Where do you think this money comes from? It comes from the people who buy the product. Anyone who is complaining about an ad simply because they dont like it is being childish and descending to the same levels as the people who made the original moronic claims.

The membership of Ireland Offline (myself included) have made numerous complaints to the ASAI about Eircom ads. Not because we dont like them, but because they were blatantly false advertising. Things like "you pay a flat monthly fee" and "Download Large files in seconds" were downright LIES.

Thats what the ASAI is there for. Not so that some idiot can get his kicks while he waits to set up Irelands next political party while shooting some ridiculous undercover documentary.

• Advertisement

MY DOCUMENTARY IS NOT RIDICULOUS ESPECIALLY WHEN YOU HAVE NO GROUNDS TO SAY IT IS

and besides that it is an idea i'd been playing with for ages and finally decided to do it.

Actually that goes for the political party as well.

damien_gill - you're a fecking idiot, shut up. You posted what you sent the ASAI, then 10 minutes later post again complaining they haven't replied to your email!

Perhaps there was no one there, you DID send the email well after 5pm!

Jeez.

On another note, a jaffa cake ad has been banned in the UK because it's making fun of overweight kids:

http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_696723.html?menu=

In reply to the post above if you bothered reading the thread properly you'd have noted that the complaint about them not responding was in regard to a scratchcard company you a-hole.

Anyway I got my reply from ASAI today and it seems as usual religion in this country in un-touchable have a read for yourselves....
    Dear Mr Gill,

I refer to your email of complaint dated 24th October 2002 in connection with the above-mentioned advertisement.

The Advertising Standards Authority for Ireland is a self-regulatory body set up by the advertising industry to promote the highest standards of commercial advertising and to enforce the Code of Advertising Standards. The Code applies to advertisements, which have a commercial objective, i.e., the sale of a product or service. Advertisements whose principal purpose is to express the advertiser’s position on a political, religious or industrial relations matter or on an issue of public interest or concern are outside the scope of the Code.

As the advertisement in question is intended mainly to influence opinion about a religious matter you will appreciate that it is outside the jurisdiction of ASAI and that we are therefore unable to pursue your complaint under the Code.

Yours sincerely,

Larry McCarthy,
    ASSISTANT CHIEF EXECUTIVE

Anyone else wanna have a go?

Stating that religon is untouchable in this country at the moment is monumentally stupid. Do you read the papers/watch television/listen to the radio?

OK I'll rephrase they are still untouchable at this moment cos they are usnig their stupid ****ing "we have to respect canon law" excuse to not hand over files (and the ones they will hand over will be edited to ****)

it would be great to see them kicking in church doors and taking the files then taking the priests named in those files throw em in court and if their guilty shoot the b*stards.

MORE TO THE POINT RELIGIOUS ADVERTS ARE UNTOUCHABLE

• Advertisement

Yet again...
    Originally posted by Thanx 4 The Fish
    Unfortunately the Advertising Standards Authority for Ireland have no authority in Paedophilia cases. :rolleyes:

In reply to the post above if you bothered reading the thread properly you'd have noted that the complaint about them not responding was in regard to a scratchcard company you a-hole.

*SIGH*
    NO, you were referring to the 'Power to change' ad, which is what you were complaining about in your email to the ASAI which you posted JUST BEFORE you moaned about them not replying!

Maybe you should go away and learn how to make sense when you commit your words.

*** HUGE SIGH ***

No I the complaint was precisely to do with the following;

I was complaing that in their conclusion of another case regarding a scratch card company the scratch card company didn't even acknowledge them and thus it was the scratch card company who didnt bother replying.

*** ANOTHER HUGE SIGH ***

MAYBE YOU SHOULD GO AWAY AND READ THE ****ING THREAD PROPERLY BEFORE MAKING YOURSELF LOOKING EVEN MORE RETARDED THAN YOU HAVE ALREADY MADE YOURSELF LOOK

Hahaha, you just keep 'em coming, champ! hahah!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

*** HUGE SIGH ***

No I the complaint was precisely to do with the following;

I was complaing that in their conclusion of another case regarding a scratch card company the scratch card company didn't even acknowledge them and thus it was the scratch card company who didnt bother replying.

*** ANOTHER HUGE SIGH ***

MAYBE YOU SHOULD GO AWAY AND READ THE ****ING THREAD PROPERLY BEFORE MAKING YOURSELF LOOKING EVEN MORE RETARDED THAN YOU HAVE ALREADY MADE YOURSELF LOOK

So what if they didn't respond, the complaint was upheld. If the party in question does not respond within the allotted time the complaint is upheld and the advertisment in question is pulled. Exactly how does this show the ASAI has no power.

PS I think you will make a great politician.

because the scratch company didn't bother their arses to reply and I for one am still seeing the same scratch cards in circulation.

Therefore I assume quite firmly that the ASAI have no power.

Pre-tell friend why would I make a good politician?

Cos everyone else thinks I'd make an a-hole of a politician and loads of other people just din'nae like me (hang on have i just answered my own question?)

Why in gods name do you think that the Advertising Standards Authority of Ireland have ANY control over anything other than Advertising?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

i saw the ad where the blind woman is buying stuff in the shop tonight and the sister asked why the shopkeeper had that face because the woman squeezed the bread. pointless editing

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I didnt like the Brennans Bread ad because it basically was saying "pinching someones ass is ok if you are disabled" imho.

Whats sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander in the end of the day. Or should we portray a man pinching a blind womans ass... ?

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

I didnt like the Brennans Bread ad because it basically was saying "pinching someones ass is ok if you are disabled" imho.

Oh I dunno. I seem to get away with pinching a lot of asses when I'm blind drunk :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement