Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is Given In Trouble

• 23-10-2002 9:28am
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭

This lad was easily the best keeper last season, but every week he is the cause of a goal now. Even against the Swiss I thought he was no where near the 2nd goal. I hope it is not as he was top notch, but even Newcastle are running scared.

http://www.planetfootball.com/article.asp?id=115486&cpid=5&title=Given+faces+axe

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭Waylander

I believe he has been dropped for the Juve match tonight.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

True, have not been keeping an eye on Kiely, is he work his place?

Not bad but Given in form is always gonna be a better player.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Its his lack of form that worries me. It is strange how a team performs poorly when the keeper has doubts about his form

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

i have to agree , given has not looked as dominating this season as last season, a break might focus him more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 233 ✭✭Congoose

He does seem to be lacking confidence, but I think his Ireland form has been alright. He had a bad game against Blackburn but I disagree with the article that he was at fault for three of the goals. The defence was very poor, they let him down.

I'd say Robson knows what he's doing if he's going to drop him. Maybe Given needs a break, but his form will come back.

Congoose, I spotted that comment alright, by any chance was it a UK comment that blamed him for all goals??? If it was Seaman they would have blamed the defenders!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭the fnj

Originally posted by yop
    If it was Seaman they would have blamed the defenders!!

How do you come to that conclusion?

A quick glance at the back of any British tabloid would indicate that the media are blaming Seaman for the goals he is letting in. I even heard of a headline slagging him over the goal Rooney scored against him.

The english media are very quick to blame Given there the last day for all the goals, one of them came back off a defender but yet the stated that Given was the blame.

Of course they have to blame Seaman now, but it has taken them a good while to do so.

They seem very biased towards the likes of Beckam, owen, shearer etc,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Yeh, Seamen is a rubbish keeper. Like, his team lose every week cos of his mistakes.......

• Advertisement

He is still the best english keeper around but the media need a scapegoat and are using him. Barthez made mental f ups last year and they all rightly hammered him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 607 ✭✭✭dougal

one of them came back off a defender but yet the stated that Given was the blame.

Yeah but that was cos Given dropped it onto his back!

Given has been very inconsistent lately and when you are a goalkeeper it all gets exaggerated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭peeve

No wonder Given is lacking confidence...a back line of Andy O'Brien, Nikos Dabizas, Aaron Hughes and Griffin hardly inspires confidence! They are leaving him open and good teams are going to score goals if you them enough chances. I feel sorry for him, wasnt he goalie of the year last season? As for Seaman..he's past his prime. Time to retire, give someone else a chance. Yes, he was a class goalie but he's lost his mobility.

The english press are far too quick to jump on Seaman now. The Slating he took for Gareth Farrellys goal there about a month ago was ridiculous. Seaman was where he shoul have been in that situation, it was just a total fluke. Ever since Ronaldihno goal they cant wait to get their teeth into him.

Have to agree, the goal there against Macedonia was more a fluke than seamans fault. As you said the knives are out to stick him now on any small error. The want someone to blame for the fact that eng er land are ****e and they are using his "mistakes" as the solution

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭johnnynolegs

i don't think given has had it as he is still young in goalkeeping terms and probably has another 10 years in him at a push - seaman however is a different story especially at international level he should not be in the england team IMHO and the only reason he is still in the arsenal is cos they seem to score so many goals it probably would not matter how many seaman let in

What age is Given? That lad last nite, Hooper would not give me much confidence, Buffon on the other hand, bar the auld goal!! was unreal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Andy O Brien looked useful, hope the lad does well

He played well last nite.

Baz - what u think of CM4?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

from what ive seen(screenies, 2d demo) it looks brilliant. Id like to know more on the multiplayer aspect tho.

Of Course [plug]www.cmeire.com[plug] will have updated news on CM4 asap

:p

• Advertisement

I have to re-register, deleted the feckin mail so could not activate. TWAT!":rolleyes:

Advertisement