Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Well the mighty reds done it again.......

• 23-10-2002 9:47am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 449 ✭✭

Well all I gotta say is hats off to the mighty reds for beating Moscow yesterday.

Owen getting a hat-trick was absolulty class. Hopefully now we can go on to the second round and kick some more a$$.

Spurs better watch out on Saturday......

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Against a team who have not won in 14 matches?? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

In a venue where no English team has won, ever. Was a good result for the pool alright, shame that Basle managed to get a draw out of Valencia though, could go to the wire now...

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

In a venue where no English team has won, ever

Fair enough, but even scousers were expected to walk the match. Ye still should get through as Valencia are very hot and cold at the minate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭peeve

Yeah, it was a good win - " a professional performance" but i dont understand why we didnt attack the wings more....at home, our goals came from the wings and last night the same? We lack players that can beat a man...its just push the ball ahead of you and chase after it (kilbane style) We really need a player of Damien Duff's ability..the final piece! It was nice to see owen score a hat-trick but tbh it wasnt v.stylish. Hopefully we can do a similar job in Basle...

Ya, heskey is no man for the left side, he was the cause of the goal.

what has happend to berger?? even biscan played well when he came on, cannot understand why he does not vary it more, the one time ye came down the win with carragher ye scored.

Basle are a strange one, I never expected them to beat the Celts never mind be in contention for a 2nd round place. Stranger things..

As you said "professional". Not pretty to watch but a win is a win.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭LizardKing

The performance was not great , but the result keeps the pool in the running...

We need to beat Basle to defo get thru , the Valencia game will be tough too , but Liverpool are getting results at the moment from not playing too well , which is always a good sign...

lets just hope Olympiakos score an upset tonight :)

Where have ye Basle and Valencia??

Put a pound on Olymp, god knows what United will do tonite

Valencia @ Home - Oct 30 - 19:45
    Basle @ Away - Nov 12 - 19:45

If ye beat Valencia and Basle win, how does that leave ye for the game against Basle?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

If we beat Valencia and Basle beat Moscow then a draw against Basle will be enough to put us through. If we lose to Valencia and Basle beat Moscow we have to beat Basle. If we beat Valencia by more than 2 goals and then beat Basle, we will win the group. Just some of the permutations!

• Advertisement

Current Table Standings...

Group B Pld Pts

Valencia 4 10
    Liverpool 4 7
    Basel 4 5
    Spartak 4 0

So if we beat Valencia (unlikely)

Valencia 5 10
    Liverpool 5 10
    Basel 5 8
    Spartak 5 0

Then we'd need to just draw in BASLE at least

IMO I think ye will beat Valencia but it will leave the last match very interesting Gwan Basle!! :p

Originally posted by LizardKing

So if we beat Valencia (unlikely)

Why do you think it's unlikely that we'll beat Valencia? We got the tactics wrong at their place and in the second half showed that were are as good if not better then them. Against Basle we did everything but score and since then we've won all our games and scored bags of goals, concesding only 1. We are top of the premiership and the team are really starting to play a lot better then they have been. I for one am confident that we will beat Valencia.

I'd love to have your optimism , I still think Valencia played better than Liverpool overall in Spain. However I really do hope Liverpool can beat them in Anfield. That would take loads of pressure off the last game in Switzerland.

I also hear the impressive Valencia player Ayala is out (suspended) for the game in Anfield so that may be a bonus too

I'm very optimistic about our chances. I feel the team are really starting to click and our attacking play has come on in leaps and bounds without causing problems at the back. We're second top scoreres, 3rd best defense and we're top of the Premiership. This is our Season!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭Waylander

Valencia played the Pool off the pitch and made them look second rate in the first game. I will be very impressed if Liverpool win that game. And I think the only real improvement in the team has been that Michael Owen has started scoring goals again.

Houllier got the tactics totally wrong on the first half. The second half was a case of trying to claw back the goals but the damage had already been done. We looked a lot better in the second half. Yes, they were the better team but people keep talking about the first half and forget that we improved a lot in the second half. We'll beat them on Wednesday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 449 ✭✭spanner_head

we should have stevie gerrard back against Valencia. So fingers crossed it all goes well.

I wish we had Henchoz back as I am still not convinced about Taore.

Traore is class what u on about!! :D

He is a fecking liability! Nearly scored twice there in Tuesday nite, a bit of a Gary Neville.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭peeve

me neither..i havent been impressed with him at left back but in fairness he did well on tuesday night...anyone know when babbels back-he was on the bench on tuesday but i havent seen him play yet?

Also maybe richie partridge(currently on loan with coventry and scored against norwich last night) is the solution to our winger problem? All the senior Liverpool players speak highly of him yet he has yet to make his full competitive debut!

• Advertisement

Originally posted by yop
    Traore is class what u on about!! :D

He is a fecking liability! Nearly scored twice there in Tuesday nite, a bit of a Gary Neville.

I think Gary Neville is worse than Taore. The only man u defender I sorta rate is Ferdinand.

As for Phil Neville in midfield - Why?

Originally posted by peeve
    me neither..i havent been impressed with him at left back but in fairness he did well on tuesday night...anyone know when babbels back-he was on the bench on tuesday but i havent seen him play yet?

Also maybe richie partridge(currently on loan with coventry and scored against norwich last night) is the solution to our winger problem? All the senior Liverpool players speak highly of him yet he has yet to make his full competitive debut!

Babbel should be playing in a reserves match against Newcastle tonight. So hopefully he will be back soon.

I heard about the goal partridge scored last night and apparently it was absolute class. I think Coventry want to take him on loan for a bit longer. Its good expierence for him. But people will get to see how good he is and will start sniffing around him!

As for Phil Neville in midfield - Why?

If I could tell u that I would have won the lotto last nite as well

Something to do with him been a long lost son of sir alex or some ****e like that!!! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,064 ✭✭✭BKtje

P Neville is being played in midfield a lot these days so its not really a suprise. I prefer him in there than chadwick or fortune.

I agree, fortune is no good, chadwick too ugyl!"!

Neville played U17 & youth cup for United in midfield so he has played there before, if he scored that chance last nite we would be lauding him here today, he puts the head down and gets on with it, not a glory hunter. Meet him when I was over and he is a very down to earth lad, no **** to him at all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭johnnynolegs

anywya yeah i have to say a good result for the lads on tuesday and an even better one considering the gooners lost woohoo

Advertisement