Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

an article worth reading

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭Trev M

Sorry about this but Im real dumb ...Im gonna ask a really stupid question....

whats the story with "frequencies becoming available" when I turn my dial there's plenty of nothingness in between all the Pap FM's and Newstalk.....??

Is it because some of the frequencies are used by local stations that just don't reach the whole dublin catchment so they cant be given to a station that will broadcast city wide or whats the shinnannigan. (Shinnannigan is todays useful word be the way)

I mean is 91.6 not an "available frequency"??

Could someone explain this apparent problem of over crowding cause there seems to be more emptiness on the range than stations...granted its probably just aswell given the current plethora of utter ****e that's there at the moment but ya know what I mean... to me there's loadsa frequencies??.

Conflustered ..

Trev

• Closed Accounts Posts: 263 ✭✭joey D

You've every right to be conflustered, Trev M.

The whole 'frequencies becoming available' is a big pile of shiite, based on my limited technical knowledge. In other European and U.S. cities there are dozens of stations on FM; it beggars belief why there's a myth being propagated that the FM band in Dublin is 'overcrowded' or there's 'no room' on the FM band.

From a commercial point of view it suits, because a plethora of licensed FM stations could spell a lot of trouble for comemrcial revenue.

One other problem is the abundance of dance music stations that seem to pop up and hop around FM like a ... er... thing that pops up and hops around a lot.

Anyway, I'm sure someone else will probably have a more technically valid explanation, so let's wait and see.

Advertisement