Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DVD Multi-region Question

Options
  • 23-10-2002 2:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    My DVD (Philips 722) is a region 2 player. Can I play Region 0 (multi-region) DVD's on it or do I need to hack it??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Typedef

You need either an rpc 1 DVD drive (ie one with no region code) or a new firmware for your dvd player such that you continuously patch the firmware when you run out of region changes or you simply get a firm ware that allows you unlimited region changes!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

There is also a code available for rhis DVD player - I've tried to get it for you, but the nearest I've found is some URL that wants you to pay them two quid for it.

http://www.realcheats.co.uk/codes/index.php?codes=p&page=2

HTH

EDIT: I've come on this posted in a forum:

http://www.home.zonnet.nl/jeroenverhaar/en/vervolgindex/dvdregiovrij/dvdregiovrij7595.htm and then selecting Regionhack for all DVD Player models

I didn't check the site out, as my smart filter here at work keeps me out of the site.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭ObeyGiant

From a quick search of google groups:
    remote hack
    1. Turn the machine ON and remove any discs.
    2. When the display shows 'NO DISC'
    3. Enter 'Play', '159'.
    4. The display will change to show 11 dashes ('
    ').
    5. For region 1 enter the 12 digit code '005000128156',
    for region 2 enter the 12 digit code '002000128156'
    6. Press 'Play' and the screen will turn blue and then reset.

They also recommend using the hack for the 750, which apparently works with most Philips DVD players.. you can find this hack at http://www.dvd.reviewer.co.uk/info/multiregion/full/philips750.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

AS ObeyGiant it works with all or most Philips.. only thing nopt mentioned is the fact you cant use the dvd remote.. you need a One4 All remote (4 way one from argos is best for this!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭ObeyGiant

Originally posted by Saruman
    AS ObeyGiant it works with all or most Philips.. only thing nopt mentioned is the fact you cant use the dvd remote.. you need a One4 All remote (4 way one from argos is best for this!)
    The reason I didn't mention it was because
    1. It doesn't say for certain that you will need the OneForAll - only if the first part (which uses the machine's remote) doesn't work.
    2. I hadn't read the page :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭yankinlk

hey thegills,

i have done this to a philips 722 using the 750 hack, it works fine no issues.

You DO need a one for all remote to achieve it, and you must program it on the tv function (will not work on vcr function)
    if you are in the limerick area, ill do it for a small fee. but if not, its really really really simple and you CANT break it.

by the way, all that numbers garbage is boloney...it gives you no notification that you have been successful when you are finished, just stick a usa dvd in to test.

NOTE: IF YOU ARE USING A PHILIPS TV WITH THE DVD, IT PROBABLY WONT WORK AS "PASS THRU" WILL SIMPLY CHANGE THE TV CHANNEL INSTEAD OF SENDING HACK TO DVD.

yank 0878271470

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

Can I play Region 0 (multi-region) DVD's on it or do I need to hack it??

Gills region 0 is region free. In other words a region 0 disc will play on any DVD.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Samson

Something to bear in mind with remote hacking Philips DVD players.
    The remote hack only works something like 20 times, after that it is locked to the last region selected.
    This happened to me, and it just happened to be a region 1 DVD that I had watched last when my "turns" ran out, therefore my player was stuck as a region 1 player for a while.
    It was a right pain in the hole.

I eventually chipped it, so it's now a "proper" multi-region DVD player.
    Cost was €30 for the chip, if memory serves.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭thegills

Thanks all for your inputs.

Samson
    Do you have to hack each time you want watch a different region. Can you not remote hack the DVD to multi-region and than leave it at that?
    Where did you get the DVD chipped?
    Yanklink
    How much does the One4all remote from Argos cost?.
    I am using a Philips TV. I could attache the DVD to my crappy Sharp 15" though.
    TypeDef
    How do you obtain and then install new firmware on your DVD?

I also heard that if you remote hack a DVD player you can sometimes loose some of the menu functionality.

Originally posted by thegills
    Samson
    Do you have to hack each time you want watch a different region. Can you not remote hack the DVD to multi-region and than leave it at that?
    Where did you get the DVD chipped?

As far as I aware, yes, you do have to use the remote hack every time you want to switch regions, there is no code to make your player compatible with all regions.

I chipped the player myself, bought the kit (just one IC, some wire and instructions) from the following website:
    www.dvdireland.com
    Cost was €30

One other point, in relation to the question you ask Yanklink; I did not need a One4all remote to hack my player, the Philips remote worked fine (my player is a 711).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭yankinlk

hmmm, odd one that samson. i hacked my neighbors one with a one for all with the instrustions from here

i only had to do it once, but i HAD to use a oneforall.

Just a question guys. If I buy a One4all 4-way remote, can I use it for my TV (Philips 32"), DVD (Philips 722) and Video?? (Silly question but you never know)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Mayshine

To add my 2c

Perhaps on certain DVD model, you need to change the region on a disc by disc basis, however I can say that my player, a Marantz DV4200 (I think) has a one off remote hack that will allow it to play any disc. Rather that setting it to a particular region, It seem to override the region encoding altogether

Dave

Just a question guys. If I buy a One4all 4-way remote, can I use it for my TV (Philips 32"), DVD (Philips 722) and Video?? (Silly question but you never know)

Yes.

Samson - thats great news. I have a 2 year old daughter that thinks its great fun to throw remotes onto the floor. My TV remote would cost about 100e new not to mention the DVD and Video.
    Would you recommend a 4-way, I have a Yamaha Home Cinema System as well.

Would you recommend a 4-way, I have a Yamaha Home Cinema System as well.

If you really want a recommendation for a "multi" remote, get yourself a Philips Pronto, it will basically do it all.
    However, expect it leave a large hole in your wallet, it costs €300.
    ukpronto.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

You can pick up the pronto for as little as $120 on ebay... not quite the remote I'd like with children around the house though.

Although with anything more complicated than a tv or video, standard pre-programmed One4Alls can be a pain in the arse... I'm pretty sure they do learning remotes as well though best to check their site for that (http://oneforall.com)

Advertisement