Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ENN: "Esat BT's broadband march continues" - ADSL launched in Dublin.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭MDR

Can you say 'Unregulated colocation charge subject to a non-disclosure agreement' ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭LoBo

very good article, nice to see all the important points brought up : such as "Eircom, which had previously kept Irish DSL in regulatory limbo" and "However, with prices much higher than in most of Europe, and generally higher that what consumers seem willing to pay".

MDR: explain your one?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Originally posted by MDR
    Can you say 'Unregulated colocation charge subject to a non-disclosure agreement' ?

It's a step in the right direction though. Essentially they are both standing in front of unconquered territory, vying for customers. Esat have some serious grounds now to complain that eircom's charges are stifling their ability to compete effectively. Hopefully......

Right now, Esat aren't trying to win customers from eircom with regards to ADSL, but compete for market share.........

Esat BT pays an annual co-location charge to Eircom for hosting Esat's DSLAM's in Eircom's Exchange (space rent, air conditioning, ups etc all in one charge). This charge is not set by the regulator and is subject to a non-disclosure agreement between Esat and Eircom (ie they can't/won't tell us how much it is).

Esat BT does hint on a regular basis that it is some of the most expensive real-estate in the world and cite's it as the reason their xDSL offering is so expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

Originally posted by MDR

Esat BT does hint on a regular basis that it is some of the most expensive real-estate in the world and cite's it as the reason their xDSL offering is so expensive.

More expensive than that O'briens sandwich shak at the junction with Jury's and the Israely embassy in Ballsbridge?? :eek: ;)

come to think of it, the sandwiches there aren't that much more expensive than anywhere else....hmm

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Any idea's on what exchanges esat's dsl service is available in dublin?
    or is it all a big secret :confused:

(hint...sceptical of announcement)

Esat BT compares it with 'Park Avenue' prices.

Incidentily that O'Breins used to be a sweety shop when I was growing up ... and I can get a sandwich far cheap, superquinn in Northside shopping centre does a decent sambo of €1.60

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 darthmaul

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

a full 19" rack of u r own in an airconditioned co-lo or telehouse type facility, guaranteed free of Rats and stuff , will cost in the order of €8k-€10k a year hosting, per rack, with bulk discounts.

this is with the absolute dogs air-con and UPS backup at all times.

I suspect the €ircon exchanges are not up to that standard so the rental would be approx €4000 a year per rack to be fair...no choice of carriers in there either u see.

On a per sq metre charge its a lot but thats the going rate in a facility of the standard of an €ircon exchange.

You can then stuff about 350 users into that rack 50 into each of 7 x6u units like ericsson axd3nn or axi family systems ...albeit costly if u only have a single dslam with 50 users and then the economies of scale kick in because there are no marginal costs to be paid to €ircon for the next 300 signups u service form that exchage.

ESAT also get to offer juicy 2Mb leased lines and PRI Isdn in fractions as low as 8 from that same rack so its not all about ADSL provisioning but about milking the local loop as much as possible where possible.

M

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

I sent them a message from their site asking about what other exchanges in Dublin could be ADSL enabled by them in the near future and after submitting got the following message:

Thank you for your response. We will contact you over the coming weeks with further details.

Bloody 'ell. Usually places tell you they'll contact you within 48 hours or whatever and then take a couple of weeks. How long are they gonna take to get back to me! I really hope that because BT are running the show now that good things are gonna happen. Maybe if NTL rolled out their Cable internet access Dublin wide it would force prices down all over the place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,399 ✭✭✭ando

Originally posted by LFCFan
    Thank you for your response. We will contact you over the coming weeks with further details.

In other words, 'feck off'. What's the bet you never EVER get a another responce to that mail you sent

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭niallsmart

Just got a text from a friend, apparently Esat BT Chief Executive Officer Bill Murphy has announced 256K ADSL for €50 per month by Christmas at the IBEC Telecommunications and Internet Federations Annual conference. Not sure if this is excluding or including, or if there are caps. There are no caps on their 512K service though....

€50 a month is crap. It's half the 512Kbs service for half the price so they're not really dropping prices or anything. At least it's a step in the right direction though I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Tippex

I can't believe of all places they have upgraded one is Greystones Grrrrrr. Why oh why not the exchange on the boghall road in Bray grrrrrrrrrrr.

Come one esat get the finger out who cares about the greystones exchange pah!!!!

Ok sorry rant over

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

I'd certainly go for 256Kbps at €50 per month, assuming that it's an always on connection and that €50 is a *flat* rate.

Esat BT's web site seems to be b0rked at the moment... - no images coming up on their main page and a 404 error on their DSL page.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Kix

Originally posted by Bard
    I'd certainly go for 256Kbps at €50 per month, assuming that it's an always on connection and that €50 is a *flat* rate.

I jump through a burning pair of Bard's smelliest pants for that offer. :) Broadband, always on, flat rate and nice low latency. Yes please.

K

of a Residential ESAT product aimed at the Christmas market

this must be it

M

€50 a month for 256kb. Sounds excellent.

Think about it. You probably pay more right now for 56kb dialup connection that isn't even always on. If you work from home... well then the savings and speed increases are massive.

Cool, hope to see my area enabled soon.

the thing is thought they are just halving the access speed and halving the cost so you're not getting any more value for money. It's a con job if you ask me. We should be getting 512 for €40 a month, not 256 for €50 a month. Bet there will be a rediculous cap too.

You own the domain ESATSUCKS so update the home page with this vital info RIGHT NOW!!!

M

• Advertisement

Nah, I'm holding off on slagging EsatBT for now. I wanna see what they're gonna do so I'll give them the benefit of the doubt for now. I just don't want to accept sub standard services just because we're used to it.

LFCfan, please post the price of your latest dialup internet bill(assuming you use this, like most of us). We will divide it by 2 for you since Eircom bill every two months. Also tell us how much time you got to spend online for that sum.

Now, if your on 56k dialup like us a 256kb dsl line is about 5+ times faster, so surely that's some sort of advantage? Then again, its always on so you will be able to use it all day every day at this increased speed. And finally, and this brings me back to my initial point, it will MOST LIKELY be CHEAPER than what you are paying Eircom right now for crappy 56k!!!

The thing is, I am forced to use the internet a lot less at home then I would like to. I am with UTVip Lite so get 30 hours off peak. I would love to have always on broadband, but not at the prices they are charging. If I could get 256Kbs for €50 a month, always on with no cap and at the same time get rid of my obligation to pay €ircon then I would seriously consider it. I am a freelance web designer so would dearly love an affordable broadband service.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭strat

anyone know that upstream this new 256k service is supposed to have ?

hardly the 246 like its big big brother :(

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Originally posted by StrataGIST
    anyone know that upstream this new 256k service is supposed to have ?

hardly the 246 like its big big brother :(

Well, if it's ADSL, you're looking at a max of 128k upstream, or even 64k. That suits me fine, but you gamers and developers wouldn't be too happy I suppose..........

Advertisement