Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

ADD COMMUNITY - Astronomy

• 23-10-2002 7:47pm
    Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭

Board Name: Astronomy
    Description: For all the many Astronomers across the country and further!!
    Private Y/N: N

If anyone else wants to see this as a forum then please reply saying so and maybe we'll get started here!! :-)

Thanks.

Comments

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

This was suggested recently and while I know a few people heavily into their astronomy, I dunno if we would get sufficent numbers for a board. There is a science board thats under used , you could post a few posts on there and see how it goes?

DeV.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭halenger

hmmm... nah it's ok thanks.

I just wanted to avoid setting up and hosting a webboard of my own. Might just use one of those rubbishy html/pl ones...

astronomy ireland has over 7200 members. there's gotta be a few on the internet?!?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 735 ✭✭✭beardedchicken

ooh! an astronomy board!! cool!!

ok, ok, do me! i'm an aries!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

Originally posted by beardedchicken

ok, ok, do me! i'm an aries!

Does that line work well, and often ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭Oeneus

This could be a good idea. I'm not an astronomer or have ever done anything in relation to this field, but still... I think this still could be an interesting read even for people that wouldn't necessarily use the board.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Both Astronomy and Astrology were already suggested with BEAT, I believe, suggested as Astrology moderator.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 735 ✭✭✭beardedchicken

Originally posted by yellum
    Does that line work well, and often ?

you'd be surprised!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

I certainly was. My lawyers will be in contact in order to sue for emotional distress.

Ah well i guess it ain't gonna happen.
    Nevermind.

I wouldn't suggest mixing the two (astrology and astronomy). Many astronomers i know take offence to being called astrologers - which is even worse when a National newspaper does it!!!

Thanks anyway...

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I'd be happy to create a community site for the Astronomy Ireland people if thats what you were referring to as they have a community that could be assisted. I just dont think we have support for it from our userbase at the moment.

I have some very dear friends who blast things into space and look at Gamma Ray Bursts and what not, who take grave exception (with good reason!) to being called Astrologers. :)

If you are involved with AI please let them know about our willingness to help. I'm sure the other communities we've helped/sheltered/supported will confirm that its quite mutually beneficial and theres no hidden agenda or anything to be concerned about.

DeV.

• Advertisement

You mean make a website?
    Well there's already a website, www.astronomy.ie, but it's in terrible disarray and on a terribly bad host.

We're currently looking into new webhosts and i'm developing a new website which i hope to have live in a couple of weeks by which time we hope to have the new webhost sorted.

If i've misinterpreted then please correct me. We appreciate all offers of help and the like as we are a voluntary organisation.

Ok, I didnt mean help with coding the html of your website but rather I was offering a "community" discusssion board here.

I realise that that may be confusing because we have appeared to turn you down, up above.

Let me explain :)

A main board like "Science" , "Unix" etc is run by Boards.ie and moderated by some nice kind Mod who we choose and who we'd keep in our prayers, if we werent agnostic/atheists.

Its creation is argued in public here and is subject to the whims of the almighty Cake. Dont ask.
    Suffice it to say there is a general discussion and much too-ing and fro-ing and then the admins decide and then Cloud decides if he agrees with the admins. *cough* :) and its created or not.

A community board is much easier to get and requires only 5 supporters which given the 7000 members you have I will read as being done :)

They work as follows: You are automatically the mod, the board is called "Astronomy Ireland" and its placed in the Community list (in the Public area, which is what you would want).

If you go to www.irelandoffline.org and look at their site, and then go to "their" discussion board you'll see that it leads back here.

This is what I am suggesting for you guys. You create and maintain your website as normal and link to the discussion board we create for you. You control it (as you are moderator) with minimum interference from us.

In essence, you get the service of having a discussion board set up for you and none of the legal worries of someone saying "the ESA are a bunch of corrupt tossers!" (which they arent :) ) . Plus you dont have to worry about the bandwidth concerns of running a big dicussion board (which are scary and expensive :) )

We get the ad impressions and a opportunity to grow as a community. We're big into the community stuff in general round here.

Talk to the IrelandOffline people if you like and see how its worked for them, or the ICDG guys... they're both big communities we support.

DeV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Community board sounds like a good start

I'd certainly drop in (reawaken my younger interest in all things spacey)

(put me down as a "yes" if a community board is requested)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Typedef

Originally posted by DeVore

Its creation is argued in public here and is subject to the whims of the almighty Cake. Dont ask.

cake.jpg

DeVore that is exactly what i hoped you'd say.

That sounds absolutely perfect!!!

You da man!! :p

So if anyone says anything *ahem* abusive about anyone does that mean we can't get in trouble for it?
    i.e. the opinions of the people on these boards are not necessarily the opinions of Astronomy Ireland etc.

That is exactly the sorta thing we'd be looking for. :D

Technically yes, we're responsible for what is said along with the people who say it. Hence we still control the board as administrators. If "bad" things start being said we'll wade in and things will get nasty but Astronomy Ireland wouldnt be seen as being responsible IMHO as its on our site. That said, it hasnt been tested in court but it would be impossible to drag it back to AI even if the name of the Board is A.I.

Anyway, jesus, have you seen what people are saying on Ireland Offline? I mean, how catty can Astronomers get?? :)

DeV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

Astronomer #1: It was a big bang.

Astromomer #2: No it was a little bang.

Astronomer #1: No, it was a BIG bang.

Astromomer #2: Look, I'm telling ya, it was a little bang.

etc.

With whats going on at the moment in terms of Physics research fraud you'd be surprised what people might say that can land you in a tight spot! Allegations of plagerisism, falsified data etc etc etc.
    Theres been a huge spate of them recently with some big, Nobel prize winning, names implicated. :)

DeV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

I suggested an astonomy board ages ago but gave up and used Science instead.. it is Science after all and considering the lack of posts on science it did not make sense to worry too much about an Astronomy board.

Im a member of AI myself.. would be a good place at least for them to post their stuff about meetings and lectures.. even ads could be ok since they are non profit.

Well having an Astronomy Board is different to supporting the AI community in my mind.

I'd drop in occasionally for sure but then I wouldnt probably go to AI.ie unless something dragged me there... it might be good for them too as I'm sure some of our users would be into it ...

DeV.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

i remember the day well, the day i created cold fusion.

however, i dont recall it well enough to remember what i did.

damn, must purchase myself a good notebook for the next time....

Well i could argue either way but a public board called Astronomy Ireland's grand by me. We're all about the general public, aswell as the scientists and professional astronomers. Astronomy Ireland is for everyone and anyone so it would most certainly be a public community.
    This all sounds good. Esp that big bang arguement! :p

It was a MEDIUM sized bang. :D

So what is it that i've gotta do to get this up and running?

Ok, I'll create a public group and we can get cracking on hooking Boards and the AI community up!

DeV.

Brilliant!! Thanks very much...

Ok thats up now under Community -> Public -> Astronomy Ireland
    It wont show in the nav until tomorrow but you can navigate using the built in navigation of VBB.

The direct link is:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=250

Halenger are you involved with the AI people?

DeV.

Brilliant. Thanks mucho...

Um yeah i'm in charge of the website and i sit on the national committee, why?

Just making sure I'm giving the keys to the car to someone who's licensed to drive it.
    You are the moderator btw.
    Go to:
    www.boards.ie/vbulletin/mod
    for the Moderator control panel if you require to ban someone from that board. The other (more commonly used) Mod Powers can be found at the bottom of the offending post (in a drop down).

You can find the Mod's Lounge at under the Admin section using the VBB Nav or you can go here:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=133

DeV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Originally posted by DeVore
    You can find the Mod's Lounge at under the Admin section using the VBB Nav

Not anymore ;) Best thing is to subsrcibe to it, so it appears in the subbed bit

• Advertisement

Seamus, you read it then you QUOTED it but apparently didnt understand the words "Using the VBB Nav" :)

Subbing to your favourite forums is a GOOD THING though :p

DeV.

Advertisement