Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

5.1 Surround Sound

Options
  • 23-10-2002 10:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭

Having a spot of bother setting up my new surround sound amp (sound htk215) with my DVD player (sony dvpns400). The dvd player has a multichannel decoder in it, with 5 outlets for the 5 speakers (and one extra for the S.W.), each which in turn head on into the amplifier. But the amplifier only seems to pick up the front 3 and their own. Has anyone had this problem before? There is an optical cable I can get, but the set up I have *should* work.

Note: The dvd player is set to 5.1 surround, and there is no option to set the amp, it's supposed to pick it up automatically. And the rear speakers do work from the TV.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael Collins

A picture of the set-up would help a lot. Although you won't get digital quality sound without using an optical cable (toslink) or a coaxial cable (looks like a phono connector, but has an orange rim around it)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

Don't use the DVDs analog 5.1 outputs... as obviously the amplifier won't pick up a 5.1 signal then.. (basically you want to bypass the DVD players decoder) .. so as said use a digital coaxial cable or an optical cable to connect the two, the amp will then pick up the correct digital signal and you'll get proper sound :)

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭kamobe

I'll be off to get the optical cable tomorrow :)

My setup should have worked though. I've scanned a pic from the manual blatantly saying that it should, so I'm confused as to why it doesnt :confused:

Another problem I've noticed is watching standard television, the speakers seem to cackle a little. The dvd sound quality (as opposed to the surround) is excellent, even through the television (ruling out the cables coming from the TV to the amp). But the digital cackles a lot. Maybe it's just NTL....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

Yep you need a digital cable (either coax or optical). You may need to change your audio settings on your DVD player as well. On mine I have to set the output to PCM to allow my amp to decode 5.1 or DTS.

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭kamobe

I've purchased an optical cable which seems to be doing the trick. :)Still confused as to why the other setup didnt work....
    On mine I have to set the output to PCM to allow my amp to decode 5.1 or DTS.

Was watching Gladiator, which boasts DTS. My amp didnt seem to pick this up, but the rear speakers did work with the optical cable. Is your DVD player sony? If so, how did ya set it? :) The software allows various setups and surround settings. These settings seem to be similiar to an equaliser though, as opposed to altering the output in any meaningful way.

Thanks for the help btw, I do appretiate it. Shag all on the net relating to models i have....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

Don't bother playing around with bass/treble or any other similar settings on the dvd player.. they usually won't (and shouldn't) apply to digital out.

I've checked and that amp should support DTS (its not listed as a feature on a lot of websites though)... just switch from DD5.1 to DTS in the Gladiator DVD audio setup Menu... should pick it up then.

And make sure your amps sound setting is set to Auto, not Dolby Digital/Surround/ProLogic or anyother setting.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

Is your DVD player sony? If so, how did ya set it?

Sorry bud it's a pioneer. I just go into the audio settings and selected o/p PCM. This sends out the signal undecoded to the amp which then takes care of DTS decoding. Best thing to do is mess around with your audio settings on your DVD player and as Kali said set your amp to auto. If you still cant get it going post back and I'll have a proper look at my DVD settings.

Advertisement