Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fiber on offer from offer to sme's

Options
  • 24-10-2002 12:54am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭

I was in a computer shop on parliment street D2 the other day picking up some kit.There was a guy(sales)from Ntl giving the guy behind the counter the hard sell and told him that fiber was on offer to him.The worst thing is the owner didn't seem too interested(is the guy crazy?).I didn't get to hear prices or speeds just curious if this is old news and if so does anyone have some info
    Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Where i work we have NTL fibre. We dont use it for internet connection (esat leased line instead). Its used for broadcast video transfer. Its priced well out of the reach of small business/home users.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭crazyasafox

Nothing to get to exicted about,rang them today and as you said Dustaz well out of the reach of joe public.The guy on the phone was quoting €11'000 big ones 4 a 512/512 and just multiple that by 2 if you want 1mbit.The prices seem very simular to lease line prices so what is the advantage of fiber.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

€11000 in the first year is half what you would pay outside of Dublin in the first year and 66% of the recurring annual charge for a 'traditional' 512k leased line.

I assume the prices do not include VAT either.

M

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

The prices seem very simular to lease line prices so what is the advantage of fiber.

Fiber has the capacity to carry a LOT more data than copper (over longer distances too) ... we use fiber for storage area networks and I can get 80MByte/s synchronous ....

• Registered Users Posts: 14,401 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

I had a quote from eircon.net for a 256k leased line in donegal town, €24000 to you mate. so €11000 for 512 sounds pretty good to me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

the words 'spoiled' 'Dublin' and 'choice' flit through my mind at times.

BTW unplug everything expensive from your overhead phone line, theres a big thunderstorm heading your way about now.

M

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

Why on earth would Garret in IT Direct cough up such spondoolicks?

I've often heard from Board members that they reckon their prices are very competitive - imagine what the prices would be like if they started paying mega bucks for an over priced product?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,401 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

off topic
    thunderstorm don't think so can see the sea from here looks ok to me sunny for a change (much more in danger of esb or local digging works mind)
    must dash this call is costing me a fortune

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

The €11k covers up and as far as Bray ( which is just inside Wicklow ) - they will quote for other regions too if the speeds are 2mb and above.....

Advertisement