Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ESAT Boss Bill Murphy calls for Govt to rethink broadband Strategy

Options
  • 24-10-2002 10:45am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭

Taken from Onbusiness.ie here...
    http://www.onbusiness.ie/2002/1024/broadband.html

The most interesting point he made IMO was the following...

s
    Mr Murphy said Ireland could learn from a scheme in Cornwall in England called ACT Now.

He said the partnership set up there involved BT, as well as local authorities, development agencies, the education system, business and domestic consumers.

Obviously he would like BT(esat) to get access to such govt. coffers here as well, but infairness at least he is thinking proactively :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

The BT scheme basically involves
    He added that it involved customers logging their interest in broadband access for their community, thus ascertaining the level of demand before the infrastructure was put in place.

These are known as the 'trigger' levels. The Cornwall scheme is detailed Here while the overall concept of registering interest is shown in action at this location Here

Eircom refuse to put such a scheme into place. Therefore there is 'no demand' as Eircom see it. Touché

The best place to have such a registration of interest scheme is on a carrier independent website.

There are only 2 real candidates. The ODTR and Irelandoffline.

M

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

wonder would it be worth putting up a website where people could enter their area and register their interest in Broadband. The numbers would be public knowledge then and €ircon would be unable to keep saying there was no interest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭vinnyfitz

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭b20uvkft6m5xwg

From the full statement...
    ACT Now, which stands for Access for Cornwall through Telecommunications to New Opportunities Worldwide.

"It's a mouthful, but it works" Mr. Murphy said, adding, "and it works because it's a different kind of partnership. Instead of public private partnership it can be called public private community and consumer partnership."

Heck thats whats been needed from day 1-
    after all 'tis Joe Soap (Community/Consumer) who pays for the products-

--
    I've been out of the IrelandOffline "inner-circle" for a few months now, so I havent been keeping up with the news, but from what I've seen from Bill Murphy he has impressed me.

Anyone care to give me some feedback on him-
    Is he just another Derek Kickham-ie. I'm the consumers best friend but I'm not going to do anything about shiite access in Ireland !!??

Advertisement