Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Confirmed: EsatBt to offer 256K ADSL for E50 before Christmas

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭BoneCollector

By Christmas eh!? Hmmm
    but they failed to say WHICH! Christmas :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

That is just really excellent ,looks like IOFFL done good.
    Normally 256 is 256 up as well but i doubt that will be offered.

Fair balls to them offering.

To all the ppl who will post here complaing its not enough once you are DSL enabled on a 256 exchange its only a matter of time before the service is upped to a faster speed.

Well done guys.

kdja

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Interesting - 256k for 50 Euro - a bit steep, but it would satisfy the needs of some users - wonder if it will be capped :/

[EDIT] It will suit me fine![/EDIT]

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

No reason why they wouldnt do it - and I guess the take up will be excellent.

Pity so many lines fail for DSL though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Gunn4r

hmm what to do....

esat bt or irishbroadband...?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

40 exchanges by launch? Heres hoping they concentrate on Cork :D

40 exchanges by launch? Heres hoping they concentrate on Cork
    Hey!! get OUTTA HERE!!! Dublin is #1 :D
    Now here`s the thing.. will people who went to UTVip begoing over to this... and if so.. will UTVip be planning a competative product to keep them!? ;) Hmmmm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭LoBo

like I said in the other thread this was mentioned in - 256kb always on for €50 a month is a HUGE advance over what most users are stuck with in ireland : 56kb at €0.01/min or €0.04/min peak.

Our (almost exclusively offpeak) internet bills were usually in the order of €100-150 per month (not per bill). I think i'd go for an always on service costing over half what I currently pay that is 5 times as fast. :)

Nice to see this kind of residential offering cropping up. Prices will go down as competition hots up. Its fantastic to actually see competition taking baby steps in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Nevada cannot offer this product on bitstream (too pricey) so the question is

Have they any kit in €ircon exchanges or have they any agreement with someone who has?

M

• Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭MDR

Vapourware for the minute, will believe it when i see it ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭kamobe

I agree with MDR, too many articles claiming great things flying about the place :)

But i would have no problems paying Eur50 a month for that service. It is expensive, but not super ridiculously expensive (Eur107). All this of course, provided there is no cap. I would assume that the reduction to 256, would be to avoid a cap being necessary?

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭DannyD

Originally posted by rymus
    40 exchanges by launch? Heres hoping they concentrate on Cork :D

Dude, two exchanges are live in Cork, Quakers road and Churchfield.

ADSL Expected Speeds
    192 Kbps / 128 Kbps - up to 27K ft *** (3.4 miles)
    384 Kbps / 128 Kbps - up to 22K ft *** (2.8 miles)
    768 Kbps / 384 Kbps - up to 22K ft *** (2.4 miles)
    1.9 Kbs / 850 Kbps - up to 18K ft *** (2.1 miles)
    4.0 Mbps / 900 Kbps - up to14K ft *** (2.0 miles)
    7.5 Mbps / 1 Mbps - up to 11K ft *** (1.8 miles)

1. Remember that you can go with UTV until this product is available.
    2. Remember that the disruption of changing from
    Eircom
    to
    UTV
    to
    Eircom
    to
    Esat
    will be hairy.....I see 4 week transitions here folks during which eircom will cream u at their usual rates.
    3. I see ESAT taking FAR too many orders for this and not being able to service them.....even in 4 weeks.
    4. The 40 exchange target mentioned in the vapour trail ....AFTER which the product IS supposed to be available.....will not be reached until December anyway. Allowing for this and the transition very few if any will have it by Christmas.

Happy New Year though...assuming it ain't got a silly cap or crappy contention ratios.

And congratulations to the IoffL committee for driving this, both past and present members.

M

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Excellent news! Here's hoping it actually materialises now, as I, for one, would almost definitely subscribe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭Wolff

Did y'all see this: NO CAP

http://www.electricnews.net/news.html?code=8666261

Additionally, Esat BT's connection fee is somewhat lower, at just over EUR175, compared to Eircom's current published fee of nearly EUR200. Lastly, Eircom has placed a 3GB monthly limit on the amount of data that users can download, with a EUR0.036 charge for each MB over the limit. Esat BT has no such limit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭b20uvkft6m5xwg

Thats 50 yoyos plus VAT just to clarify-
    If so still spankingly good value- assuming theres no d/l cap

From the ENN piece...
    People within the appropriate range of these exchanges, or about 5 kilometres, will be able to express their interest in receiving ADSL via a Web site that will be launched by Esat BT within weeks.

I always thought you had to be about 2 kms's ??
    If it is 5km thats good news because where I'm currently staying its over about 2 kms anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Hmm.

Theres no doubt that this is great news for a lot of people and i applaud esat for making broadband more commercially viable in this country.

However, Im worried that it might set a bad precedent at the start of Irelands Broadband adventure. Theres no doubt that LFC is actually right and per kb/s this service is actually more expensive than both Eircom and Esats 512 offering.

Eircom will no doubt make a similar offer and my worry is the model will then be set. After having ISDN touted as "broadband" for so long, the last thing we want is a 256 service to be accepted as the norm when it comes to broadband.

Looking to the UK and how broadband evolved there, youll notice that DSL was introduced at the normal speed of 512 at a huge price. Due to market forces and demand, price came down and there was a massive take up of the tech. The 512 speed is the speed that is most volatile in terms of price. I could be wrong and please correct my if i am, but my impression is that 1 meg speeds are not as readily availble and do not get offered in "price wars" such as the aol/freeserve one that is on at the moment. Speeds of 1 meg and above seem to be aimed at business users in the uk.

It would be a nightmare for the country if it was the 256 service that dropped in price due these reasons leaving 512 to be regarded as the "business" level product.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Tellox

what a day this has turned out to be!
    a nice 24/7 product will do me grand until xmas,when I can take up on ADSL :D

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

Originally posted by Dustaz

However, Im worried that it might set a bad precedent at the start of Irelands Broadband adventure. Theres no doubt that LFC is actually right and per kb/s this service is actually more expensive than both Eircom and Esats 512 offering.

Thanks. Finally someone sees where I'm coming from. We are so used to getting shafted that we fail to see yet another atempt to do it to us again. The price is actually €60.50 a month(including VAT) and not €50. I dunno why people insist on talking about the ex Vat price all the time when we're gonna have to pay the extra too. Even €60.50 a month for uncapped 512Kbs access is a bit steep. Dustaz is right that there is a real chance that 256 could become the 'norm' for broadband and could do more harm then good in the long run for what IoffL are trying to achieve.

Which of these apply
    ADSL Expected Speeds
    192 Kbps / 128 Kbps - up to 27K ft *** (3.4 miles)
    384 Kbps / 128 Kbps - up to 22K ft *** (2.8 miles)
    768 Kbps / 384 Kbps - up to 22K ft *** (2.4 miles)
    1.9 Kbs / 850 Kbps - up to 18K ft *** (2.1 miles)
    4.0 Mbps / 900 Kbps - up to14K ft *** (2.0 miles)
    7.5 Mbps / 1 Mbps - up to 11K ft *** (1.8 miles)

The FEET or the MILES which is applicable.

There are 5300 feet in a mile so a 27k Feet link is just over 5 miles from the exchange .....impossible for ADSL but not IDSL/RADSL , you seem to know someone in there so I'd be interested if you could check a bit further.

It could be a PR bunny misconverting , they should avoid math.

TIA

M

• Advertisement

Another thing I'd like to know is. Is there anything extra that has to be done to your line in the exchange to boost your speed? I am currently living 300 metres from my local exchange so could potentially have massive speeds. In other words if you are paying for 512Kbs access, could this be increased to 1Mbs without any cost to the Telco?

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭DannyD

The distance measurements above are generic to all ASDL , they do not come from EsatBt.

:
    Vapourware for the minute, will believe it when i see it ...

On that Note!
    just called esatBT spoke to several people.. they said they have no idea what im talking about except they are launching a flatrate dial up product in the new year..

They have no information on the so called up comming ADSL product and the only package they know of is the 512k business package.
    she checked with her supervisor and she came back and said we have all been misinformed ?? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭vinnyfitz

Originally posted by BoneCollector
    :

she checked with her supervisor and she came back and said we have all been misinformed ?? :rolleyes:

Odd - Did you quote Andrew McLindon of ENN to her:
    "Esat BT Chief Executive Bill Murphy told the annual conference of IBEC's Telecommunications and Internet Federation that the company would be introducing a 250kbs ADSL product priced at EUR50 per month (excluding VAT) in time for Christmas. Its exact launch date is unknown at this time, as is its implementation fee."?

Did you quote Andrew McLindon of ENN to her: "Esat BT Chief Executive Bill Murphy "
    I quoted everything word for word :confused:

I wouldn't expect the muppets in the call centre to know anything bar their own name.

It's in the press release....cant download it for some reaosn but I have a hardcopy....it is a true statement. hopefully not Vapourware

ahh c'mon, the best vapourware ALWAYS starts with a statement, ask Bill why dontcha

M

:) true - dont think Bill would set himself up for a fall like that though...IBEC , Minister etc etc...if he did it would be a serious shot in the foot!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

Along with most people on this board I dearly hope this is not vapourware. Assuming it isn't, I welcome this with open wallet. Working shifts and therefore wanting to use the net during the day quite a bit I pay between €150 and €200 a bi-month to eircom for speeds that have never breached 45k. If esat can reduce this bill to €120 ish a bi-month and almost sextuple my speed they can count me in.
    I'm not using my PC to transfer huge multimedia files. I don't intend spending my days d/ling copies of movies. I do like my music but my file "sharing" has a decidedly one way slant to it (especially with my bandwidth being so precious) and I have yet to get into online gaming. Hence, I don't much care if I can't upload as fast as I can download and if my pings can be measured on a stopwatch I won't cry about it.
    What I do find strange is the statement that 40 (was it?) exchanges will be upgraded by christmas but they will be following the lead of BT in the UK and asking people to register their interest to get their exchange upgraded. This being the case, how can they predict how many exchanges will be upgraded and where these are likely to be?
    Just in case though, I will be checking to see where my local exchange is.

Advertisement