Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Confirmed: EsatBt to offer 256K ADSL for E50 before Christmas

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭DC

I was told 3 to 4 weeks for Churchfield, Cork. Probably differs from exchange to exchange....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Originally posted by shabbyroad
    I called them today but unfortunately my area isn't available yet (I'm in Castleknock) - and apparently this applies to the whole of Dublin.

Bah humbug...

When I got my line test I was told that the exchange was enabled by errorcom. What else did he say?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭shinzon

To be honest, i dont care whether its 256k or 512 k, its basically what the residential customer is getting and we have to live with it if we want DSL, ill gladly pay the 60 euro a month for a much faster connection at least 5 times the connection speed that im getting now then for some poxy 56k dial up crap i have now

Roll on DSL PLZZZZZZZZZ

TRI

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

well right now I'm hoping with everything crossed that Irish Broadband will be operating in Dublin 15 soon so I can get rid of my line altogether and never have to pay €ircon another cent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭mechanima

"by Christmas"

Hmmmm,

I am thinking that will be so if you are practically on top of a particular Dublin Exchange...or maybe they get all "alternative" and enable a single country exchange?

But common sense suggests that, as ADSL capacity is a physical change (not unlike rural electrification), it literally CANNOT happen, countrywide, overnight as flat rate could.

Esat will simply follow on the heels of any area Eircon can offer, and offer it CHEAPER, cos the can't offer ADSL anywhere Eircon hasn't installed capacity and even Eircon ain't stupid enough to withhold grossly overpriced ADSL anywhere with capacity...are they?

(Cos if they are it starts to be SCARY to reside on same landmass.)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭NeoSlicerZ

afaik people should wait and see if UTV comes out with a competitive offering since i can see people jumping over to EsatBT with the introduction of this product.

Well Played IOffL for hammering some sense into the telecos

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭captainpat

Is the EsatBT adsl offering confined to the exchanges that they upgrade themselves? Or can they offer a service on exchanges already kitted out by Eircom? Or does this depend on there being an appropriate Wholesale Agreement in place from the Incumbent?:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Hi.
    Originally posted by captainpat
    Is the EsatBT adsl offering confined to the exchanges that they upgrade themselves?

Yes, that is how they are proceeding with their rollout, they then tell €ircon to plug the €ircon wire to your house into their kit. This is called Local Loop Unbundling or LLU . €ircon don't make it easy for ESAT to gain access, they put a chappie known as the COW (€ircon acronym that) in charge of monitoring ESAT access to their 40 proposed exchanges.
    Or can they offer a service on exchanges already kitted out by Eircom?

They could do that too/istead of if €ircon weren't charging an arm and a leg for this option. This is what is called the wholesale rate or Bitstream Access. €ircon will charge more to ESAT for Bitstream than ESAT will charge for 256k to the end customer in the LLU scenario. No carrier has taken up the €ircon bitstream option....nor will they most likely.
    Or does this depend on there being an appropriate Wholesale Agreement in place from the Incumbent?

It does. Currently €ircon charge more wholesale than Any Carrier in Europe charges Retail. It seems the ODTR does not believe it has the power to set a realistic price which benefits te customer and the Telcos. The Misister does believe she does. €ircon mentions teh High Court and she then dithers while €ircon do nothing....the preferred €ircon option at all times.

M

• Registered Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭Tazz T

Originally posted by De Rebel
    Has anyone had recent confirmation of this? I know that full number portability for mobiles is a technical nightmare but I for one can't wait.

However as it is the major hold which Vodaf**kers and the rest have over their business customers I'd be surprised if they yield easily.

There has been no mention of full number portability recently, not even a tinsey-weensie likkie Press Release from the ODTR.

Full number portability for mobiles comes into effect on Jan 1st. Some of the mobile companies are now trying to tie ppl into 12 month contracts to prevent the runaround that will happen when it occurs.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭Going Demented

oops

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭TOWN

Yesterday i pulled up and got of of the car to ask a few of the lads that were diging up the footpaths in Athlone town,it just so happened there was one of the shirt and tie lads looking at them,what there doing is laying dsl cable from the esat exchange to the eircon exchange,he reckons it will be done before x-mas ..ie if theres no hold ups.....and after x-mas i will be able to avail of this dsl service...256kps for E50.00 and he doesent think thats inc vat.Thats in Athlone...he also gaive me this addy http://www.esatbusiness.com/esatcom...i havent checked it out yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭The_Scary_Man

Does anyone know if the list of enabled exchanges on the EsatBT site has been updated, specifically in the Cork area?

I heard that the Mahon exchange was enabled but I don't see it on the list.:confused:

Originally posted by TOWN
    laying dsl cable

Is there such a thing? DSL runs over ordinary copper that's already there or is there a new fangled way of doing it now?

Originally posted by The_Scary_Man
    Does anyone know if the list of enabled exchanges on the EsatBT site has been updated, specifically in the Cork area?

I heard that the Mahon exchange was enabled but I don't see it on the list.:confused:

I was told there will be a website going live next week detailing the new service and showing the list of exchanges. http://www.esatdsl.com is registered and says it's coming soon so it may be there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭sax0000

Originally posted by LFCFan
    I was told there will be a website going live next week detailing the new service and showing the list of exchanges. http://www.esatdsl.com is registered and says it's coming soon so it may be there.

Something somehow doesn't quite compute for me.

Esat using a godaddy.com registration / hosting?

sax0000

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭pepsiman

Originally posted by Muck
    Originally posted by captainpat
    Is the EsatBT adsl offering confined to the exchanges that they upgrade themselves?

Yes, that is how they are proceeding with their rollout, they then tell €ircon to plug the €ircon wire to your house into their kit. This is called Local Loop Unbundling or LLU . €ircon don't make it easy for ESAT to gain access, they put a chappie known as the COW (€ircon acronym that) in charge of monitoring ESAT access to their 40 proposed exchanges.

Doesn't this mean EsatBT themselves can have a wholesale bitstream access offer for - say - UTVip? I mean, when EsatBT have their own equipment in the exchanges?

This way Eircom and EsatBT could compete to get - say - UTVip as a wholesale customer. No? And then all three compete to get me as a retail customer. Yes?

/Thomas

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭LoBo

i'm surprised the c-word isn't **'d out.

I'd buy this service. I'd definitely buy it from UTVi over EsatBT and would probably not buy it from Eircom.

Originally posted by sax0000
    Something somehow doesn't quite compute for me.

Esat using a godaddy.com registration / hosting?

sax0000

I know. Doesn't exactly sound right does it seeing as the do their own hosting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Originally posted by pepsiman
    Doesn't this mean EsatBT themselves can have a wholesale bitstream access offer for - say - UTVip? I mean, when EsatBT have their own equipment in the exchanges?

Logically yes. You are absolutely right. ESAT in this feasible scenario would have a Bitstream offering to UTV (Nevadatel) from Exchanges containing ESAT kit.

Their Bitstream could also be cheaper than €ircon .....€ircons is obscene.... despite ESAT having to pay €ircon for the LLU bit of the circuit/service.

M

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Is there such a thing? DSL runs over ordinary copper that's already there or is there a new fangled way of doing it now?

They were probably laying fibre into Eircom's exchange.

adam

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭TOWN

fiber optic cable it was,i was just to lazy to type it at the time :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Originally posted by TOWN
    fiber optic cable it was,i was just to lazy to type it at the time :)

Which isn't DSL :OP
    I rang Esat yesterday and they told me DSL in Drogheda is online, got my contract.....it's a bit complicated, it's the same form one would fill in to buy an ATM line or other such business net products.

Anyway, 126 euro install and 90 per month for 512k access is fecking good, I've had DSL in my street in Castleknock for a year now and never got it because of the ridiculous set up charges Eircon charge.

Originally posted by eth0_
    Anyway, 126 euro install and 90 per month for 512k access is fecking good

No it's not. It's a feckin' rip off. We've been ridden for so long by €ircon in this country that people are actually starting to think €90(is that before or after VAT) a month is a good deal. Granted it's better then €ircon's but it's still a rip off.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Anyway, 126 euro install and 90 per month for 512k access is fecking good,

Heh, statements like that will get you lynched in here......I'm assuming you're talking about the lower price for the install and *not* the €90 (ex VAT) per month price tag....

90 is good compared to over 1200 with eircom and 10 times slower access.

Then again, having an arm chopped off is good compared to having both your arms and legs chopped off. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Originally posted by seamus
    Heh, statements like that will get you lynched in here......I'm assuming you're talking about the lower price for the install and *not* the €90 (ex VAT) per month price tag....

Well mostly about the price of the installation but how cheap can it get when this country is so tiny and such a (relatively) small amount of people have shown interest in broadband.
    I have friends in Canada who pay about 30 dollars for 512k cable per month, the reason it's so damn cheap is because there's such a massive customer base, as opposed to here.

I don't particularly like the fact it's 100 a month here, but it's better than not having broadband at all. If a greater amount had shown interest initally, maybe it wouldn't be so dear. Does IOFFL do anything to address this?

small amount of people have shown interest in broadband.

You can thank €ircon for that. They have made sure that people are put off by high prices and lack of availability and the fact that there has never been a true FRIACO product available in Ireland.

Majority of internet users here have bog standard 56K modems. And they don't know the first thing about broadband. But they would like cheaper daytime access, preferably flat rate. Broadband comes after that for majority of people.
    There would be a natural progression from 56K FRIACO over to DSL, etc as people become more aware of the possibilities.

So, DSL can't really succeed without a strong FRIACO base first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

I don't particularly like the fact it's 100 a month here, but it's better than not having broadband at all. If a greater amount had shown interest initally, maybe it wouldn't be so dear. Does IOFFL do anything to address this?
    I don't really buy the lack of demand and small size of the country argument. There are too many counter-examples. Malta, Luxemburg, etc.

In addition, a lot of cable companies in the US and no doubt Canada are very small covering only a single suburb. There is also the town of Hull in Britain where a separate telco provides DSL at affordable rates.

As for demand in Ireland, most people want to know how much something will cost before they express interest in it. At 100 euros, market research from MRBI commissioned by the ODTR showed that there is negligable demand at these prices (even among businesses).

A more likely explanation for the lack of affordable broadband is the fact that we are already throwing money at the telcos. If we could all stop doing this until we got what we wanted, then there would be broadband quick.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭BoneCollector

Here’s a thought..
    we have heared esat saying there introducing flatrate broadband which will be rolled out systematically across Dublin and else where.. But not immediately accessible to everyone... so they have to wait..
    does that not then make it even more crucial to get Flat rate dial up before broadband since this can be introduced nationwide tomorrow..
    And sure, some of us are not interested in 2 way broadband (since we are not interested in online games! :D )
    I just wonder.. How many here think cheap 24/7 access is more important than speed? or visa versa?

Advertisement