Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dilemma to settled by fierce debate ( showdown at noon tomorrow ).

Options
  • 24-10-2002 2:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭

Hey everyone, just to let yo all know, I have a date in the Musice Centre sorted out, it was given to me as a freebie today as a recent cancellation left them with no show for Sunday the 3rd of November.

So then, here is what the problem in, basically I was ranting and raving about putting on a Charity show a while back, where instead of paying in you donate blood, and the people who don't donate blood that month, week whatever can pay in, and the money raised will be given to a worthy Charity.

Here is the Dilemma, as I got the gig for free, The music Centre does not include an admission fee, or if I want an admission fee, I split it with the Music Centre.

Well basically I have to choose, do I just go with the free of Charge idea and just let everyone who comes in for free, or do you think that we should have the cover charge and then be able to give a small donation to Stewarts Special Children School.

If you don't mind paying 6 Euro in and you think that its a worth while cause, or would you be more inclined to go if it was free.

I want you to decide, cover charge or no cover charge, either way it doesn't effect me, financially as the gig was given to me for free.

Please respond as soon as you can.

Now the other part is:-

Pier Nineteen
    Myles and Dara from Blotooth

More to be announced.

live at
    The Temple Bar Music Centre
    Sunday the 3rd November 2002
    doors at 7.30 pm
    Admission:- ??????????????

Please come along.

Niall.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭mojopin

Hey Niall. I think you should charge in, as cheap as possible but at least something. We'd be very interested in supportinging if you're still looking for bands, for free of course. Our website is www.beautifullosers.info where's there's 2 quick dloadable songs up. My email address is doorknob@email.com
    tom

• Registered Users Posts: 33 sweetiepie

I wouldnt mind paying in either but do make it as cheap as possible(poor student!). Id definately go

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭thedrowner

i think that maybe 5 euro would be the best.
    i would be happy to pay more, but everyone seems to want a chepa entry, and if its going to pull more crowds in, then go for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭slash99

Charge in - something small - might as well and give it to some charity......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭Keithaburke

I'd say the music centre'd donate their half to the cause if they knew it was for charity.

If you've got to pay in... why not a nice... affordable €3 charge... get the whole world in, phone the blood board and get them to send you heaps of flyers and info that can be given out as people come in.

or something like that.

Can anyone think of a good punishment for the music centre if they don't allow this particualar thing's proceeds go to Charity. They did give it to you for free.

Are they saying " Well if charity get any money out of it... of course we want the same amout"

When we were kids in my family we used ask "how come he got more than me?"... my poor mother.

WE WERE 8 YRS OLD GUYS.... GET A GRIP!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭Niall S.

OK then here is the situation as it stands and I would be very surprised if there is any changes.

Basically th whole idea of the donating blood thing, is not going to happen cause apparently the IBTS think tat it is Unethical to give rewards to people who donate blood.

So fair enough donating blood will not get you in for free, but you should still donate blood if you can.

Next up the Charity will be Stewarts Hospital for Special Children, and the money will be spent on a super duper Trophy which will become the pride of the parents of a very special childs Fireplace for a full year every year.

Basically I am expecting to atleast raise a fair few bob for this and the money will be spent on this Trophy which will be the GigSmart's SmartKid Trophy and it will go to the most Academic Student of the year, with the name of the student engraved onto it, this should live on for about 20 years and if GigSmart falls apart tomorrow atleast this will be a reminder of what we did.

If there is any cash left over, then we will think of another good cause to put it to.

Last but not least, the details of the Show.

Bands whom are not fully confirmed yet will be indicated with a *

Sunday the 3rd of November 2002
    The Temple Bar Music Centre
    Admission:- 5 Euro

Doors at 7.30 pm

Minerva at 7.45 pm *

Interval 8.10 pm

Myles and Dara from Blotooth 8.20 pm

Interval 8.50 pm

Pier Nineteen 9.00 pm

Interval 9.40 pm

Rag Doll 9.50 pm *

Interval 10.35 pm

Fingermouse 10.45 pm

Curfew 11. 40 pm

DJ Terry Spins the sounds of local talent and International Acts. 12.00 Midnight.

DJ Terry gets kicked out for playing ****e music 12.05.

Hope to see you all there.

Niall.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭thedrowner

BAH!
    im probably gonna be in work after all that
    never the lesss i will make sure 5 euro gets sent in in my name, ok?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭jonny

i reckon you should have it free.
    and then urge people to put donations into a little box that somebody holds. y should the music centre benifit out of a charity gig? corporate pigs!

Hey jonny, both very good points but in all fairness to the Music Centre they had offered the night to me for free or with a cover charge with which they get 50% of, I never asked whether or not they would require a percentage if the gig was for Charity or not.
    I didn't tell them that it was for Charity at the beginning and I haven't been in touch with them since, so I don't know, maybe they will donate their percentage of the proceeds aswell.
    The second point that you brought up was to have the gig for free then go around asking people for donations.
    I don't know how much you know about GigSmart but up until recent times we did acoustic gigs in the International Bar every Saturday night where it was free in and the only expense that we had was the PA that we rented and then we liked to give the performers a few quid so they could atleast get a pint or two for there troubles.
    The way that we went about affording that was by sending a glass jar around asking people for donations to feed the starving musicians, and with atleast 60 - 70 people there on most Saturdays we would be lucky to get € 50.00, which we had to pay the PA costs and then divide the rest between the musicians like I said both myself and other GigSmart members did the sound on the night and never took any money for our troubles.
    So basically it isn't always a good idea to rely on the kindness of strangers, cause some strangers aren't that kind.
    So atleast if only 100 people turn up then our 50 % amounts to 250 Euro and then people can always donate more should they want to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭gilly

ooooh! you're soooo sexy when you know what you're talking about...kinda masterful....

x Gilly g-string

• Advertisement

And when do I not know when I am talking about, Ohh yeah when I'm drunk.

Please, Please, Please, Please come to this gig, see me talking about stuff I know nothing about.

Cheers.

Niall.

Advertisement