Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Freeview Site is working

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

On the site over the last couple of days, I've been putting in Post codes for Poyntz Pass, Newry, Crossmaglen and Jonesboro to see if the signal will get that far south from Divis. Poyntz Pass: yes, North of Newry: yes, South Newry: no, Crossmaglen: no, Jonesboro: no.

This weekend I have the lend of a STB and I'm going huntin' signals! I'll pop into my local TV installer, who I haven't talked to in months, he is excellent when it comes to these things, but I don't know of anyone as far south as my home lucky enough to have DTT. I don't fancy my chances. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Richard

Originally posted by DMC
    On the site over the last couple of days, I've been putting in Post codes for Poyntz Pass, Newry, Crossmaglen and Jonesboro to see if the signal will get that far south from Divis.

I wouldn't trust that postcode checker as far as I could throw it!

Poyntz Pass: yes, North of Newry: yes, South Newry: no, Crossmaglen: no, Jonesboro: no.
    And according to the postcode checker, Bangor: no. But Bangor: Yes according to what I can receive. Some of the weaker MUXes on Divis have been increased and I seem to be getting very good reception via the set-top aerial which is nailed to the window frame. The roof aerial doesn't receive MUX C well because it is not wideband, but the signal strength meter is reading something - unlike before the power boost. But with the set-top I can get all MUXs.

The only thing is that is sometines takes an age to change channels. Sometimes 6/7 seconds. I have a first gen Philips OnDigital box.

This weekend I have the lend of a STB and I'm going huntin' signals! I'll pop into my local TV installer, who I haven't talked to in months, he is excellent when it comes to these things, but I don't know of anyone as far south as my home lucky enough to have DTT. I don't fancy my chances. :(

Neither do I, but good luck! I tried to get DTT in Athlone and alsonear Longford but with no success. I might have had better luck near Longford with a better aerial/downlead.

The DTG has a better postcode checker but it is currently offline. I think the Freeview one will only tell you Yes if all MUXes are listed as being available - and at my address in Bangor, not all were supposed to be.

http://www.dtg.org.uk/retailer/coverage.html

This will hopefully be online again soon.

Nope.

Nada.

Scratch.

Nothing

Zip.

Blank.

Not a sausage.

NOTHING!

Bugga! 3 locations, the green bar didnt get past 1 once. :(:(:(:(:(:(

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭marclt

To change the channels more quickly on an old ON or ITV Digital box press

MENU

Then 7 for Technical settings...

Choose option 2

Then press TEXT - GUIDE - TEXT - GUIDE - TEXT - GUIDE as many times as it takes to get up a hidden menu - press the Green button to change the setting from option 1 to option 2.

Then hit red to get out of the menu... try changing channels and it should be immediate!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 mmc

I Live in Donegal and receive my analogue signal from limivady for years. what do you think are my chances of getting digital coverage?

• Advertisement

I know of one person on the Inishowen peninsula (around Moville) who can get pretty good Freeview reception. He has a good line of sight to Limavady.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭West Briton

Yup! That's me at some of the weekends. The Limavady muxes are:

53: SDN for five: still the old format AFAIK. Signal bar operates at a three. Still somewhat susceptible to passing traffic interference.

57, 60 and 63: Ex ITV Digital muxes. Signal bar goes all the way up and extremely robust.

58: The ITV/C4 mux. Again, old format but stronger signal. Some slight pixellation occasionally.

67: The BBC mux. Signal level all the way up now, very robust. Was the weakest mux before.

I have to say that the package is fantastic. However it is going to be very difficult for the majority of ROI viewers who already have analogue kit to receive Freeview. The coverage areas are far smaller than the existing analogue areas, and in the case of Divis, due to Damo's field tests in North Meath, are far smaller.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

So who sells nice towers?
    And 2 x 4 aerial arrays (two sets of four yagis matched) or 4 x WB arrays (four sets of 4 element "flat" Wideband arrays matched).

You want very low group delay / flat response mast head preamp, not just low noise for Digital too.

Where there is a will, there is a way!

i live in carndoagh. do u think ill get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭redzer007

anybody any idea if the terriestrial digital signal will reach the east coast from Wales?? Just a thought?

R

• Advertisement

Yes it can.

Man, our former ITV Digital subscriber can get a signal from Preselli. He's in the Arklow/North Wexford area, but again, and I stress this, he has good line of sight of Preselli (although his eyesight might not get see that far :D) He has no obstacles between him and the transmitter, which is even more crucial than analogue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭West Briton

Originally posted by mmc
    i live in carndoagh. do u think ill get it.

I'm not sure. Slieve Snaght and Crockglass Hill might be in the way and you'd need line of sight to be able to get a signal. I'm pretty confident that from the top of Glentogher down to Kerrykeel you'd have no bother.

Isn't there a deflector serving Carn?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭trazix

If i go to buy a freeview box do i have to provide proof of my address

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭marclt

No you dont need to supply where you live... if you buy from a store in the north... all you have to do is say that you live in the south!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,327 ✭✭✭✭Tony

Perhaps he has a sea path which is a big help for tropo reception

Originally posted by DMC
    Yes it can.

Man, our former ITV Digital subscriber can get a signal from Preselli. He's in the Arklow/North Wexford area, but again, and I stress this, he has good line of sight of Preselli (although his eyesight might not get see that far :D) He has no obstacles between him and the transmitter, which is even more crucial than analogue.

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

People from top of Glentogher/QUigleys point get their signal from Sherriffs MOUNTAIN in order to get tv3. Their is a deflector system from Malin that serves Carn, malin, Malin Head, Balli;iffen but this deflector is unreliable. I Have two aerials, one for malin and one for limivady/moville. I use the malin aerial to watch channel four as our signal is really poor from malin. Do you Know the Frequency for channel 9 from limivady. Also do you get TV3 in moville. We are unable to get it in carn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭rlogue

TV3 reception on Inishowen is patchy, to say the least.

The only way you can get it, without subscribing to $ky is to use the Holywell Hill transmitter. No other relays, i.e. Malin, Moville, Fanad, etc. carry it.

And I doubt that you'd get a sufficient signal in Carn to get it.

Limavady mightn't be a bad bet but note that Channel 9 from Limavady is on far lower power than the main 4 channels or even the Freeview muxes. I think that Channel 9 only has a couple of hundred watts from Limavady whereas the analogue main channels are broadcast at 100 kW and the digitals at 10 kW.

Channel 9 is on channel 57 or thereabouts.

As West Briton points out, he can get robust DTT from Limavady in Quigley's Point, but there he has practically line of sight to the transmitter and the bit of sea path over Lough Foyle won't do any harm either. Channel 9 reception there isn't at all great and definitely not watchable.

I wonder would trying a high gain aerial for TV3 from Truskmore do any good in Carn?

I live in Collooney which is 5 miles south of Sligo town,we have always received a brilliant reception from Brougher mountain for both UK telly and radio.I bought a Pace digital tv adaptor from Comet.Since Freeview started i can receive 45 channels,the Beebs are perfect but Channel 4+5 and ITV1 + 2 are weak but on a clear day they are excellent.Also Sky news and Sky sports news have a great reception all the time!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

anyone know if you could get a signal in or around the Ashbourne area?

Originally posted by LFCFan
    anyone know if you could get a signal in or around the Ashbourne area?
    Doubtfull,I've seen Brougher reception there and it's not good enough, even with a large mast and good aerial/amp etc.
    Divis I don't know , but if some people are using Brougher there as Divis is weaker, then I'd say no aswell.
    mm

• Advertisement
Advertisement