Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phone socket wiring

Options
  • 24-10-2002 8:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Does anyone know the colour coding for wiring a phone socket?

We recently moved our phone socket (one of those cheap little square boxes), and rewired it. The problem is that 2 of the wires became disconnected. We've wired up the 2 wires that were still connected, but don't know what terminals to connect the remaining wires to because the colour coding on the incoming cable is different to the socket.

Since the rewiring, some wierd stuff has happened, like one phone will only work on a particluar extension, and my internet connection stalls all the time.

Currently this is the arrangement:

CABLE- SOCKET
    Blue
    Red
    Blue+WhiteStripes
    Green
    Orange
    NOT CONNECTED
    Orange+WhiteStripes
    NOT CONNECTED
    NOT CONNECTED
    Yellow
    NOT CONNECTED
    Black

Basically, I don't know if Oragne or Orange+WhiteStripes goes to Yellow or Black.

It's an old line, so maybe these are out of date etc.

I don't want to pay Eircom a fortune to have a guy spend about 10 seconds sorting it out, so I thought there's surely someone here who knows.

Thanks

Ro

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭The_Bullman

i disconnected mine before.

there where only 2 wires connected. the blue pair. they where connected to the top 2 connection thingys

this is what the back of the socket looked like on mine.
    -0 0- the pair of blue wires where connected to the top two screws
    -0 0-
    -0 0-
    -0 0-

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

could be the blue or orange pair but only 2 wires are used, could be one of each colour, the order of the 2 does not matter once you find them.

the pair from outside should connect to the central 2 pins, you seem to have a six pin socket of some sort, the red and green is frequently the centre pair in a telephone lead .

m

Advertisement