Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Times biz section front page.

Options
  • 25-10-2002 7:31am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 749 ✭✭✭

There is an article on the front page of the business section of today's Irish Times titled "Cheaper internet access on the way".

I think its our first front pager! Wahey! It covers the Minister's announcement yesterday and voices IrelandOffline's concern as follows:
    However, some exprets said last night it was not clear whether the new Commission would have the powers to force Eircom to offer a service. Mr David Long, chairman of the internet pressure group, IrelandOffline, said he welcomed the direcion yesterday but the Minister had to ensure the regulator had the powers to enforce it.

Esat's new ADSL is also confirmed in the same article:
    Meanwhile, EsatBT - Eircom's main rival - said yesterday it would dramatically cut the cost of its digital subscriber line service to offer consumers an always-on high-speed internet service for €49.50 per month.

Karlin Lillington also write in todays Times about the lack of broadband in an article titled "Broadband better happen soon or you'll never hear the end of it".
    Let me put it this way: if we get some decent Internet connectivity for consumers and smaller business, I prmise to shut up on this one. But since we don't even have a widespread, competitive flat-rate internet offering - just plain old dial-up modem offering , no bells or whistles, that lets you stay online without worrying about the phone bill - someone needs to keep chewing on this old bone (an pretty dry and brittle it is, too).

Her article goes on to cover BT's Act Now project.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

Is it just me or is there an awful lot of good sounding stuff (good press and good products) happening recently?, is there some momentum starting?, will the minister and odtr be feeling a small bit of pressure?, will we have cheap broadband by the end of next year?, will Eircom speed up enabling dsl on exchanges? will any of those feckers put broadband into Ballincollig in Cork??????:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭BoneCollector

I dont mean to sound pesamistic since im usualy the opposite.
    But didnt we have ms or rourke do the same kinda PR several years ago along with eircom.. fast forward 6 years and where still waiting...

Press release`s are fine but when will it actualy happen is what concerns most people.
    I know im just saying whats on other peoples minds so.. there you go... (lets hope this time its for real)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,341 ✭✭✭Fallschirmjager

Im with Bonecollector...lets see FIRST but lets be optimistic ...i personally think the esatbt thing on 256 will be the cattle prod eircon needs...but like bone said..and i feel... when you have a choice and it isnt a big feckin deal and cost a shedload to get it -- until then -- the fight continues...what i propose is we hit harder now so no one can chicken out...you can see the excuse...blah blah blah world economy blah blah blah cut back...anyone here remember ntl and the next week promises...

when i can connect at home for 30-50 euro per month for 256-- until then its all a load of auld talk and BS...

and the reason is i live in the arseend of nowhere...if i can get it anyone can...LOL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭vinnyfitz

The Minister knows we are watching
    The officials know we are watching
    The media know we are watching
    The opposition know we are watching.
    The operators know we are watching.

They all know they won't be able to get away with spin any more. Because everyone only has to check in with IOFFL to find out if it is nonsense or not.
    Its called consumer power

:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

It was on front page of Irish Examiner today in bottom 2nd half of page...very noticeable !....the article mentioned that eircom woud lose income if flat-rate came in !
    Though the best coverage was on rte six-one news, the reporter mentioned that flat-rate stimulated demand, noted the low internet access numbers here and ended questioning if eircom would agree to the directive !!...best tv coverage yet.

strangely it was not even mentioned in the Evening Herald today....tony o'reilly influence perhaps :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Dangger

Its called consumer power

It's as simple as that and we've been fortunate to raise a platform for ourselves.
    the article mentioned that eircom woud lose income if flat-rate came in

This is going to be the trade off. Eircom calling for price cap removal in a time when flat rate could be forced is sure to lead to an interesting few weeks ahead. Lets not forget the next EU telecoms report (the hearing of which IOFFL attended, and spoke on the record) due out at the end of November, which should highlight the situation even more.

Advertisement