Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Singer songwriter nights

Options
  • 25-10-2002 10:45am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭

Lately I have been checking out a few songwriter nights around the city. Here's a quick review:

Monday nights: Ha' Penny Bridge Inn

- This is run by the most annoying of the dirty
    brand of students. Musicians have to pay and you only get to play the second week you go. The organiser plays all night while one his mates
    claps. "Developing artists" got one or two songs in between your man, who liked the sound of his voice too much. A big sign outside that said
    "NO ADMISSION" was rendered non existant by a shaggy from scooby doo look alike who gave a lecture in "how we do things".

Tuesday nights: Slattery's of Rathmines,
    Battle of the Axe - Ha'Penny Bridge Inn.

As an alternative to the very disappointing Monday in the ha'penny brige, there's the "battle of the AXE" in the same place.
    Musicians AND their girlfriends get in free. You get to play a few songs between mostly very talented comediens. Good atmosphere and nice guys
    running the night. €5 for everyone else. Highly recommended.
    Also on tuesday nights is a night in Slattery's of Rathmines. This is in free in for everyone and has a high standard. Pints are great and the
    atmosphere relaxed but atentive. I really like the place. Get there early to put your name on the list of musicians. It is run by Ray, a sound
    bloke (who uses backing tracks - mmmmm, dunno).

Any other nights I have yet to explore... I am looking for ones on
    Monday, Wednesday and Thursday.

Someone told me there's one on tuesday's aswell in the Dame Tavern... anyone know anything about it?
    Keith

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭Keithaburke

I've heard of these two aswell, but haven't gone... does anyone know about these or of any more?

Tuesday: The Sugar Club - apparently run by Dave Murphy who used to run the one in the international.

Wednesday: O'Reilly's pub (The Chancery???), on the
    North Quays near the Courts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭palmic

this thur at da2 ...johnny pyro,sundogs,pugwash,brown,steph(the subtonics),the crayonz, da2s going underground acoustic sessions returns next week.......no cover charge first act on 9.30

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭nessy

I'm running a night where Singer/songwriter are billed instead of 'turn up on the night and see who's there'.

Acoustic Freedom will be running every couple of weeks in Molloys of Christchurch. Sunday nights...

if interested in playing...

info@musicmattersinternational.com

;)

And how much will people have to pay in to see the acts?

€4 or €5.. then we'll spilt the door - no dodgy anything goingon!

• Advertisement

Sounds good, I hope to see you there soon.

I like the idea of having a few nominated guys playing... They do a similar thing in Doyles, I have learned. They say that's pretty successful.

I was in Malloys there the other night. I'd say it'd be a perfect venue for such a night. Lots of NCAD heads go there during the week.

Again, best of luck. I, for one will be in touch to try and get a slot!

Keith

Keith,

mail me and i'll sort out a slot for you.

I might have one on Nov 10th

info@musicmattersinternational.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 528 ✭✭✭kirn

singer/songwriters...
    pppffthh...

filthrock is where its at these days...

Thanks to this thread... a gig has been arranged, completely behind the scenes and away from the public eye.

I'll be doing a slot in Molloys on Sunday Nov 10th.

It seems like a good venue. It's on your right as you go from Dame street to Thomas street. It's just past Christchurch.

Keith

--
    / 7
    /_(
    |_|
    |_|
    |_|
    |_| /\
    /\|=|/ /
    \ |_| /
    ) _ \
    / |_| \
    / -=-o /
    \ /~\_/
    \/

Did you know:

Sam from Lord of the rings is Mikey from the Goonies?

Aparently recordings from the Naked sessions in Balbriggan have been played on Phantom over the past few weeks.

Did anyone hear them? What was the sound like?

Keith

• Advertisement

This went very well last night and I'd recommend it to singer songwritters.

It's a small venue but when it fills up, it's really nice. There's a huge mixing desk that's way better than is needed and a good sound system. There's candles and the like all over the place and the atmosphere is great. Only €4 and it was split between the musicians. How fair is that?

It's organised by Vanessa of Music Matters, who is quite sound and very laid back.

One of the most enjoyable songwriters I've seen in a while played there last night. Brew, who's only 18, sang, stomped his boots and played the guitar from the heart. Great tunes and good enery.

If your interested in playing a Sunday night... I recommend getting on to Vanessa. Bands seem to be able to play aswell as 66electric did an acoustic set.

Cheers,
    Keith

Does anyone know of nights on the above days... there are way too many things happening on tuesdays!

Keith

• Closed Accounts Posts: 327 ✭✭Cozpyro

Monday nights in Dice

Where is that? What's on there?

Keith

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭mumblin deaf ro

wednesdays in the Firestone (formerly the Plough) are good also - you play about 20 mins - costs nothing to play though nobody gets paid - I've done it twice - enjoyed it both times

I have heard of that night, isn't that what it's called? I've heard good things about it. Does anyone have to pay in?

I did a gig on tuesday night in Voodoo, and another of the performers, a guy called J Pat from the states, was going to play last night.

Did anyone hear how he got on?

I'll see if I can make it down so next wednesday and check out exactly what happens.

Keith

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭polarbelly

have to disagree with you bout the monday nights in the ha'penny... i think they're ok

and it isnt run by students

What exactly are you disagreeing with?

- Musicians have to pay in...
    - You don't get to play until the second week you go..
    - I was told that the money goes to the guy organising it and he played a few of his own songs between all the acts, which got old REALLY quickly.
    - Outside there was a sign saying "No charge..." yet we were charged.

The venue is nice, and Monday night is perfect. The gig could be fantastic if it was:
    - free in for musicians
    - you put your name down on a list at the start of the night to play.
    - The guy organising it played ONE slot... like everyone else... like every other S/S night around.

Appologies about the student comment... actually I have nothing against students at all. I was one until recently... and will be again next year.

What am I saying that is unfair...?

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭mumblin deaf ro

Stars in the plough charge e4 in at the door, which I wouldn't consider prohibitive.

yeah, JPat emailed me before about looking for gigs, glad to see he got sorted out in the end.

JPat emailed me before about looking for gigs

If you don't mind me asking... do you organise gigs? If so, where and for what kind of artists?

Keith

• Advertisement

disagree...

i disagree with you saying its run by the dirtiest students or whatever... also you give the impression that you thought it was a bad night... i disagree i dont think it was/is a bad night...

is that ok?

That's fine man... it just wasn't to my taste. I've said why.

Hell disagree all you like... I'm just curious as to why you liked it... maybe i missed something.

Monday nights ladies and Gentlemen in Ha' Penny lounge as recomended by Micheal from Polar.

when i was there ( i wasnt playing ) there were 3 good artists on.. which in my view is a good change because at alot of these nights you can have alot of terible acts, as i'm sure you'll agree...

there was a friendly atmosphere, and the guinness was good

thats why i enjoyed it, maybe from a performers perspective its alot different

and its recommended by me michael, not polar... the rest of the lads in the band i dont think have ever been.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭o sleep

Originally posted by polarbelly
    and its recommended by me michael, not polar... the rest of the lads in the band i dont think have ever been.

but you are michael from polar, therefore it was recommended by 'michael from polar'.

the only night i know of is the wednesday night one in the plough, and it sometimes has some very good people playing. also there's some female singer-songwriters playing there, which is a welcome relief from the (and yes i know i'm generalising here) sad melancholic boys who usually clutter up these sort of nights.

oh, i think there's one in bodkins maybe on a wednesday too. i have no idea as to the details though.

relief from the sad melancholic boys who usually clutter up these sort of nights.

I agree, there are usually more boy than girls at these things... I don't think anyone ever told girls they couldn't play...

Roll up, roll up... Sad Melancholic girls needed to replace less popular sad melancholic boys.

:rolleyes:

Jpat was excellent in the Plough on Wednesday.. really nice guy too, has a great voice!

Originally posted by o sleep
    but you are michael from polar, therefore it was recommended by 'michael from polar'.

that post previously , before edited said, recomended by polar, not michael from polar... thank you keith

i have noticed the lack of female singer/songwriter types i know of two very good ones

louise byrne, giving away her ep at the mo on www.louisebyrnemusic.com

and

joanne scanlon

O sleep,
    Where is Bodkins? What kind of a night do they have?

Micheal from Polar... I thought I was removing an offending reference... didn't mean it to have the effect it did. I can put it back to Polar if you like. I originally wanted to say Polarbelly.

Re: Jpat,
    he gave me his card... there's a nice mugshot on his web page at www.jpat.info He's from New Jersey and regularily plays the Stone Pony, a bar which launched another huge New Jersey rocker, Bruce Springsteen.

Keith

keith, that was a genuine thanks, i didnt mean to come across sarcastic, apologies...

• Advertisement

Last night the semi finals of the Naked sessions were on in Balbriggan.

My favourite act of the evening was a guy called Mumblin death row. He put a message or two on this site yesterday actually... and then I met him last night.

If I like an act I'll certainly reccomend it... and I really enjoyed this guy. If you get a chance... go and see him. His lyrics are fantastic and his guitar playing brilliant. In addition to this... he's quite funny.

Tell us when you're playing Mumbling.

Keith

Advertisement